Relative outrage

Whateverman

The number of people who died from COVID-45 yesterday is the roughly same number of people who died from planes crashing into the World Trade Center towers on 9/11.

More than 2800 people died on December 2, according to John Hopkins University. More than 2900 people died in New York terrorism on September 11 (2001), according to Wikipedia. You can quibble the exactly numbers, but the objective fact is that the death count from both is roughly equivalent.

If you argue that people didn't die directly from COVID-19, you can likewise argue that people didn't die directly from being hit by a large airplane.

Why were right-wing conservatives outraged on 9/11, but wave away the daily US casualties of a pandemic that matches that one day total?

Temujin

The number of people who died from COVID-45 yesterday is the roughly same number of people who died from planes crashing into the World Trade Center towers on 9/11.

More than 2800 people died on December 2, according to John Hopkins University. More than 2900 people died in New York terrorism on September 11 (2001), according to Wikipedia. You can quibble the exactly numbers, but the objective fact is that the death count from both is roughly equivalent.

If you argue that people didn't die directly from COVID-19, you can likewise argue that people didn't die directly from being hit by a large airplane.

Why were right-wing conservatives outraged on 9/11, but wave away the daily US casualties of a pandemic that matches that one day total?
Only one event was caused by Muslims, foreign Muslims at that. If it could be proved that Covid was caused deliberately by China, (it wasn't) then the outrage would tick up considerably.

Whateverman

Only one event was caused by Muslims, foreign Muslims at that. If it could be proved that Covid was caused deliberately by China, (it wasn't) then the outrage would tick up considerably.
Hmmm...

What if Chinese Christians were involved?

Ignatius

How many suicides this year? Compared with 2019?

Get this. I read this on ..............CNN

We toss perps in jail into isolation. Guess what, social isolation just what some do not need.
How many people are shot in chicago in a weekend and these hypocrites never have a words to say about it.

Ignatius

So with strict lockdowns and "social distancing" the bullets stopped flying?
Well not entirely. You can still shot someone while practicing social distancing you just have to do it safely. I mean as long as they arent spreading COVID thats all that REALLY matters isn't it?

Authentic Nouveau

Algor

Right-wing rhetoric is so incredibly stupid.

“Look how many people are dying of cancer, why is the American Heart Association so obsessed with heart attacks?”
I dunno. Left wingers come up with some pretty dumb ones too. Remember how racism was such a big public health problem that people needed to aggregate and yell during the Covid-19 pandemic? I recall it as clearly as though it was only months ago.

Torin

Nobody should wave away the pandemic. Some conservatives do wave it away, to be sure.

However, I think what sensible conservatives are saying is more that the economy is important enough that it outweighs the benefits we'd get from the lockdowns favored by leftists. And they have a point: Lockdowns harm and kill people just like the virus does, although not as graphically. It's a balance, and well meaning people can disagree about where the balance lies.

vibise

Nobody should wave away the pandemic. Some conservatives do wave it away, to be sure.

However, I think what sensible conservatives are saying is more that the economy is important enough that it outweighs the benefits we'd get from the lockdowns favored by leftists. And they have a point: Lockdowns harm and kill people just like the virus does, although not as graphically. It's a balance, and well meaning people can disagree about where the balance lies.
You cannot expect to fully open the economy while the pandemic is still raging and assume things will just go back to normal.
Sensible people are still going to limit their activities, and whole segments of the economy will remain on life support - restaurants, cruise lines, airlines and travel in general, movie theaters, concert venues, bars, gyms, churches, sporting events, etc.
Until we get this disease under control with vaccines and more widespread personal responsibility, then the economy will suffer.

At this point, virtually no one including "leftists" is calling for a general lockdown, although it would make sense to impose increased restrictions in hard hit communities, especially those where people have chosen to ignore recommendations from health experts.

The govt needs to do more to support those who are out of work and the small businesses that are failing.

Whateverman

If the sensible conservatives would just stand up and be heard, that'd be a good conversation to have.

Taken to an extreme, every policy will have negative or even deadly consequences; forcing people to stay at home indefinitely will cause millions to starve to death, for example. Since no one is suggesting this, a pandemic "lockdown" must be referring to something less-extreme - and THAT is where the real conversation lies: how much of a suspension of the economy and normal life is good/productive/effective.

If no one is allowed to go to work during the pandemic, then the economy will suffer greatly. If everyone goes to work in the middle of a pandemic, millions will die. How exactly do conservatives want us to find a middle ground? How do liberals? These are all valid questions that are 100% irrelevant to the question in this thread's OP.

Just about as many Americans are dying daily due to COVID-45 as died on 9/11. Conservative outrage - which once propelled this country into an unnecessary war on terrorism against an enemy that did not attack us - is conspicuously / self-servingly absent. In conservatives' defense, there are well-known psychological/behavioral patterns which mirror these kinds of attitudes, which tempers MY outrage a bit. Nonetheless, it's valid to point to this obvious lack of concern for American citizens, and ask whether concern for the economy is a reasonable explanation...

Algor

If the sensible conservatives would just stand up and be heard, that'd be a good conversation to have.

Taken to an extreme, every policy will have negative or even deadly consequences; forcing people to stay at home indefinitely will cause millions to starve to death, for example. Since no one is suggesting this, a pandemic "lockdown" must be referring to something less-extreme - and THAT is where the real conversation lies: how much of a suspension of the economy and normal life is good/productive/effective.

If no one is allowed to go to work during the pandemic, then the economy will suffer greatly. If everyone goes to work in the middle of a pandemic, millions will die. How exactly do conservatives want us to find a middle ground? How do liberals? These are all valid questions that are 100% irrelevant to the question in this thread's OP.

Just about as many Americans are dying daily due to COVID-45 as died on 9/11. Conservative outrage - which once propelled this country into an unnecessary war on terrorism against an enemy that did not attack us - is conspicuously / self-servingly absent. In conservatives' defense, there are well-known psychological/behavioral patterns which mirror these kinds of attitudes, which tempers MY outrage a bit. Nonetheless, it's valid to point to this obvious lack of concern for American citizens, and ask whether concern for the economy is a reasonable explanation...
These days I pass as a conservative, which should terrify anyone. Lots of people have been saying this.Currently, the excess mortality in the USA from Covid-19 is only about 2/3 of the EXCESS mortality overall. We won't know the breakdown of that for a while, but excess suicide, domestic violence, drug overdose, fear of going to an MD, etc. etc. etc. quite aside from the economic effects of the pandemic are things that must be taken account of,.

The pandemic is causing people to die aside from Covid-19, but the anti-conservative reply in the USA has been that this is because Orange Man Bad. Which is dumb. The problem with America is Americans, and it is a bi-partisan issue. And, BTW, it is irresponsible to think that race baiting, turning a blind eye to the social violence and intimidation and deliberate undermining of trust in social institutions that has been going on on all sides of the political fence, and complain about "conservative indifference to lives lost".

Algor

Because of the fear that anticonservatives are leveraging the pandemic to favor large multinational corporations, silicon valley, the Democrat party and urban elites, and that a good deal of the response to the pandemic on the part of the government (esp state govt) has been destructive and irresponsible, and the media reporting practices reprehensible. Hey dudes, let's give Cuomo an Emmy!

So when conservatives are presented with a narrative, and they distrust it deeply, and they know that because they distrust it they just get called racists and bigots (see this thread), for some very mysterious reason, they don't get all excited about the news from Johns Hopkins, or whatever.

Algor

Because of the fear that anticonservatives are leveraging the pandemic to favor large multinational corporations, silicon valley, the Democrat party and urban elites, and that a good deal of the response to the pandemic on the part of the government (esp state govt) has been destructive and irresponsible, and the media reporting practices reprehensible. Hey dudes, let's give Cuomo an Emmy!

So when conservatives are presented with a narrative, and they distrust it deeply, and they know that because they distrust it they just get called racists and bigots (see this thread), for some very mysterious reason, they don't get all excited about the news from Johns Hopkins, or whatever.
And, BTW, my apologies if I sound combative. Probably too much caffeine. Please don't take it personally.

vibise

These days I pass as a conservative, which should terrify anyone. Lots of people have been saying this.Currently, the excess mortality in the USA from Covid-19 is only about 2/3 of the EXCESS mortality overall. We won't know the breakdown of that for a while, but excess suicide, domestic violence, drug overdose, fear of going to an MD, etc. etc. etc. quite aside from the economic effects of the pandemic are things that must be taken account of,.

The pandemic is causing people to die aside from Covid-19, but the anti-conservative reply in the USA has been that this is because Orange Man Bad. Which is dumb. The problem with America is Americans, and it is a bi-partisan issue. And, BTW, it is irresponsible to think that race baiting, turning a blind eye to the social violence and intimidation and deliberate undermining of trust in social institutions that has been going on on all sides of the political fence, and complain about "conservative indifference to lives lost".
I see this on one side, with that side rejecting science dealing with covid, climate change and evolution.
I see one side having no problem when Trump sides with Putin and against USA intelligence agencies.
I see one side describing federal experts in multiple areas as the "Deep State".
I see the current administration eliminating scientific experts from scientific advisory panels.

And speaking of lives lost, when is the last time Trump has acknowledged the loss of lives to covid?

Algor

O
I see this on one side, with that side rejecting science dealing with covid, climate change and evolution.
I see one side having no problem when Trump sides with Putin and against USA intelligence agencies.
I see one side describing federal experts in multiple areas as the "Deep State".
I see the current administration eliminating scientific experts from scientific advisory panels.

And speaking of lives lost, when is the last time Trump has acknowledged the loss of lives to covid?

Yes yes, its all the science denying racists. Not precious you. We got that: you are on the side of the saints, and Orange Man Bad.

Do you ever listen to yourself, to see how you must sound to a reasonable person who disagrees with your political stances? Or is it just that you think a reasonable person could not fundamentally disagree with your political stances?

Andy Sist

Back in the real world, COVID-19 has now become the leading cause of death in the U.S.

COVID-19 now leading cause of death in US topping heart disease

On, and nutcase Rudy Giuliani has also tested positive for COVID-19. Karma is a real b****.