Repentance

TomFL

Lets get this out of the way

God grants repentance

Acts 11:18 —ESV

“When they heard these things they fell silent. And they glorified God, saying, “Then to the Gentiles also God has granted repentance that leads to life.””

2 Tim. 2:25 —ESV
“correcting his opponents with gentleness. God may perhaps grant them repentance leading to a knowledge of the truth,”

What does that mean God grants repentance

Does it mean God irresistibly caused a man to repent

Does that mean man plays no part in repentance

No it does not for it man who is commanded to, called to repent

Ezekiel 18:30–32 (KJV 1900)
30 Therefore I will judge you, O house of Israel, every one according to his ways, saith the Lord God. Repent, and turn yourselves from all your transgressions; so iniquity shall not be your ruin. 31 Cast away from you all your transgressions, whereby ye have transgressed; and make you a new heart and a new spirit: for why will ye die, O house of Israel? 32 For I have no pleasure in the death of him that dieth, saith the Lord God: wherefore turn yourselves, and live ye.

Ezekiel 14:6 (KJV 1900)
6 Therefore say unto the house of Israel, Thus saith the Lord God; Repent, and turn yourselves from your idols; and turn away your faces from all your abominations.

Acts 2:38 (KJV 1900)
38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Acts 3:19 (KJV 1900)
19 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;

Acts 17:30 (KJV 1900)
30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:

Matthew 3:2 (KJV 1900)
2 And saying, Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

Mark 1:15 (KJV 1900)
15 And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.

Man who fails to repent

Matthew 11:20 (KJV 1900)
20 Then began he to upbraid the cities wherein most of his mighty works were done, because they repented not:

Revelation 16:9 (KJV 1900)
9 And men were scorched with great heat, and blasphemed the name of God, which hath power over these plagues: and they repented not to give him glory.

Revelation 2:21 (KJV 1900)
21 And I gave her space to repent of her fornication; and she repented not.

Matthew 21:32 (KJV 1900)
32 For John came unto you in the way of righteousness, and ye believed him not: but the publicans and the harlots believed him: and ye, when ye had seen it, repented not afterward, that ye might believe him.

Man who does repent

Matthew 12:41 (KJV 1900)
41 The men of Nineveh shall rise in judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: because they repented at the preaching of Jonas; and, behold, a greater than Jonas is here.

Judges 21:15 (KJV 1900)
15 And the people repented them for Benjamin, because that the Lord had made a breach in the tribes of Israel.

2 Chronicles 32:26 (NIV84)
26 Then Hezekiah repented of the pride of his heart, as did the people of Jerusalem; therefore the LORD’s wrath did not come upon them during the days of Hezekiah.

Zechariah 1:6 (NIV84)
6 But did not my words and my decrees, which I commanded my servants the prophets, overtake your forefathers?
“Then they repented and said, ‘The LORD Almighty has done to us what our ways and practices deserve, just as he determined to do.’ ”

Verses which would make no sense if repentance was something irresistibly caused by God and man passively receives it

Romans 2:4 (KJV 1900)
4 Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance?

2 Peter 3:9 (KJV 1900)
9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

God grants repentance by sending a message of repentance

Jonah 3 (KJV 1900)
3 And the word of the Lord came unto Jonah the second time, saying, 2 Arise, go unto Nineveh, that great city, and preach unto it the preaching that I bid thee. 3 So Jonah arose, and went unto Nineveh, according to the word of the Lord. Now Nineveh was an exceeding great city of three days’ journey. 4 And Jonah began to enter into the city a day’s journey, and he cried, and said, Yet forty days, and Nineveh shall be overthrown. 5 So the people of Nineveh believed God, and proclaimed a fast, and put on sackcloth, from the greatest of them even to the least of them. 6 For word came unto the king of Nineveh, and he arose from his throne, and he laid his robe from him, and covered him with sackcloth, and sat in ashes. 7 And he caused it to be proclaimed and published through Nineveh by the decree of the king and his nobles, saying, Let neither man nor beast, herd nor flock, taste any thing: let them not feed, nor drink water: 8 But let man and beast be covered with sackcloth, and cry mightily unto God: yea, let them turn every one from his evil way, and from the violence that is in their hands. 9 Who can tell if God will turn and repent, and turn away from his fierce anger, that we perish not? 10 And God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way; and God repented of the evil, that he had said that he would do unto them; and he did it not.

Peter preached a message calling for repentance on the day of Pentecost

Acts 2:22–39 —ESV
“¶ “Men of Israel, hear these words: Jesus of Nazareth, a man attested to you by God with mighty works and wonders and signs that God did through him in your midst, as you yourselves know—
this Jesus, delivered up according to the definite plan and foreknowledge of God, you crucified and killed by the hands of lawless men.
God raised him up, loosing the pangs of death, because it was not possible for him to be held by it.
For David says concerning him, “‘I saw the Lord always before me, for he is at my right hand that I may not be shaken;
therefore my heart was glad, and my tongue rejoiced; my flesh also will dwell in hope.
For you will not abandon my soul to Hades, or let your Holy One see corruption.
You have made known to me the paths of life; you will make me full of gladness with your presence.’
¶ “Brothers, I may say to you with confidence about the patriarch David that he both died and was buried, and his tomb is with us to this day.
Being therefore a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him that he would set one of his descendants on his throne,
he foresaw and spoke about the resurrection of the Christ, that he was not abandoned to Hades, nor did his flesh see corruption.
This Jesus God raised up, and of that we all are witnesses.
Being therefore exalted at the right hand of God, and having received from the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, he has poured out this that you yourselves are seeing and hearing.
For David did not ascend into the heavens, but he himself says, “‘The Lord said to my Lord, “Sit at my right hand,
until I make your enemies your footstool.”’
¶ Let all the house of Israel therefore know for certain that God has made him both Lord and Christ, this Jesus whom you crucified.”
¶ Now when they heard this they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, “Brothers, what shall we do?”
And Peter said to them, “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

God's granting of repentance is not a unilateral irresistible causing of men to repent

TomFL

God grants repentance

“When they heard these things they fell silent. And they glorified God, saying, “Then to the Gentiles also God has granted repentance that leads to life.””

“correcting his opponents with gentleness. God may perhaps grant them repentance leading to a knowledge of the truth,”

30 Therefore I will judge you, O house of Israel, every one according to his ways, saith the Lord God. Repent, and turn yourselves from all your transgressions; so iniquity shall not be your ruin. 31 Cast away from you all your transgressions, whereby ye have transgressed; and make you a new heart and a new spirit: for why will ye die, O house of Israel? 32 For I have no pleasure in the death of him that dieth, saith the Lord God: wherefore turn yourselves, and live ye.

6 Therefore say unto the house of Israel, Thus saith the Lord God; Repent, and turn yourselves from your idols; and turn away your faces from all your abominations.

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

19 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;

30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:

15 And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.

Man who fails to repent

20 Then began he to upbraid the cities wherein most of his mighty works were done, because they repented not:

9 And men were scorched with great heat, and blasphemed the name of God, which hath power over these plagues: and they repented not to give him glory.

32 For John came unto you in the way of righteousness, and ye believed him not: but the publicans and the harlots believed him: and ye, when ye had seen it, repented not afterward, that ye might believe him.

Man who does repent

41 The men of Nineveh shall rise in judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: because they repented at the preaching of Jonas; and, behold, a greater than Jonas is here.

15 And the people repented them for Benjamin, because that the Lord had made a breach in the tribes of Israel.

26 Then Hezekiah repented of the pride of his heart, as did the people of Jerusalem; therefore the LORD’s wrath did not come upon them during the days of Hezekiah.

6 But did not my words and my decrees, which I commanded my servants the prophets, overtake your forefathers?
“Then they repented and said, ‘The LORD Almighty has done to us what our ways and practices deserve, just as he determined to do.’ ”

Verses which would make no sense if repentance was something irresistibly caused by God and man passively receives it

4 Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance?

9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

Jonah 3 (KJV 1900)
3 And the word of the Lord came unto Jonah the second time, saying, 2 Arise, go unto Nineveh, that great city, and preach unto it the preaching that I bid thee. 3 So Jonah arose, and went unto Nineveh, according to the word of the Lord. Now Nineveh was an exceeding great city of three days’ journey. 4 And Jonah began to enter into the city a day’s journey, and he cried, and said, Yet forty days, and Nineveh shall be overthrown. 5 So the people of Nineveh believed God, and proclaimed a fast, and put on sackcloth, from the greatest of them even to the least of them. 6 For word came unto the king of Nineveh, and he arose from his throne, and he laid his robe from him, and covered him with sackcloth, and sat in ashes. 7 And he caused it to be proclaimed and published through Nineveh by the decree of the king and his nobles, saying, Let neither man nor beast, herd nor flock, taste any thing: let them not feed, nor drink water: 8 But let man and beast be covered with sackcloth, and cry mightily unto God: yea, let them turn every one from his evil way, and from the violence that is in their hands. 9 Who can tell if God will turn and repent, and turn away from his fierce anger, that we perish not? 10 And God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way; and God repented of the evil, that he had said that he would do unto them; and he did it not.

“¶ “Men of Israel, hear these words: Jesus of Nazareth, a man attested to you by God with mighty works and wonders and signs that God did through him in your midst, as you yourselves know—
this Jesus, delivered up according to the definite plan and foreknowledge of God, you crucified and killed by the hands of lawless men.
God raised him up, loosing the pangs of death, because it was not possible for him to be held by it.
For David says concerning him, “‘I saw the Lord always before me, for he is at my right hand that I may not be shaken;
therefore my heart was glad, and my tongue rejoiced; my flesh also will dwell in hope.
You have made known to me the paths of life; you will make me full of gladness with your presence.’
¶ “Brothers, I may say to you with confidence about the patriarch David that he both died and was buried, and his tomb is with us to this day.
Being therefore a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him that he would set one of his descendants on his throne,
he foresaw and spoke about the resurrection of the Christ, that he was not abandoned to Hades, nor did his flesh see corruption.
Being therefore exalted at the right hand of God, and having received from the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, he has poured out this that you yourselves are seeing and hearing.
For David did not ascend into the heavens, but he himself says, “‘The Lord said to my Lord, “Sit at my right hand,
¶ Let all the house of Israel therefore know for certain that God has made him both Lord and Christ, this Jesus whom you crucified.”
¶ Now when they heard this they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, “Brothers, what shall we do?”
And Peter said to them, “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

God's granting of repentance is not a unilateral irresistible causing of men to repent

Bump anyone ?

God also grants faith

Many verses would make no sense if faith was something God unilaterally irresistibly infused in man

Theo1689

Bump anyone ?

What are you expecting anyone to respond with?

You refuse to accept anything other than what you already believe.
You simply insult people, and tell them how "wrong" they allegedly are.

So is this why you are "bumping" this, so that you can bait people into responding, just so you can insult them and tell them how "wrong" they are?

Why would anyone waste their time, only to be abused by you?

If nobody responds to your post, take the hint.
It's garbage, and not worth responding to.

preacher4truth

So is this why you are "bumping" this, so that you can bait people into responding, just so you can insult them and tell them how "wrong" they are?

I've come to the conclusion that engaging him is to be disobedient to Christ in Matthew 7:6 while experiencing just what He stated.

I agree with all the above including your last two lines, it is a complete waste of time.

TomFL

Actually the insults tend to come from the other direction

I use scripture

and seeing you do not address the scriptures I see no need to take your comments seriously

TomFL

Well, a number of people agree with me.
And nobody appears to agree with you.
So there's that.
I seriously doubt the non Calvinists agree with you

and all you trying to do is denigrate a post without actually addressing it

Theo1689

I seriously doubt the non Calvinists agree with you

Well, let's see...
One liked my post.
And one responded to it, confirming the sentiment in my post.

So exactly what is there to "doubt"?
All you're doing is ignorant explicit facts.

and all you trying to do is denigrate a post without actually addressing it

<sigh>

Again, you seem to simply want to try to FORCE people to respond to your nonsense.
Get over yourself.
Stop trying to boss people around.
Stop trying to bully people.
And stop insulting them.

TomFL

Well, let's see...
One liked my post.
And one responded to it, confirming the sentiment in my post.

So exactly what is there to "doubt"?
All you're doing is ignorant explicit facts.

<sigh>

Again, you seem to simply want to try to FORCE people to respond to your nonsense.
Get over yourself.
Stop trying to boss people around.
Stop trying to bully people.
And stop insulting them.
Sorry no one insulted you

and I have been insulted far more than the other way around

In any case the fact you do not address anything tells me all I need to know

BTW I see only one poster like your post and he is not a non Calvinist

TomFL

I've come to the conclusion that engaging him is to be disobedient to Christ in Matthew 7:6 while experiencing just what He stated.

I agree with all the above including your last two lines, it is a complete waste of time.
LOL

You are the first one to offer an insult rather than just respond to a question or a rebuttal

Theo1689

LOL

You are the first one to offer an insult rather than just respond to a question or a rebuttal

So you think God's word is an "insult".
Then you must think Jesus Christ was the worst "insulter" of all time, since Matt. 7:6 is a quote from HIM.

TomFL

Bump anyone ?

God also grants faith

Many verses would make no sense if faith was something God unilaterally irresistibly infused in man

If faith is something God unilaterally irresistible infuses and man is incapable of unless it is so infused the following verses make no sense

John 12:40 —KJV
“He hath blinded their eyes, and hardened their heart; that they should not see with their eyes, nor understand with their heart, and be converted, and I should heal them.”

Heb. 3:8 Harden not your hearts, as in the provocation, in the day of temptation in the wilderness:

Heb. 3:13 But exhort one another daily, while it is called To day; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin.

Heb. 3:15 While it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts, as in the provocation.

Heb. 4:7 Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.

Acts 28:27 —KJV
“For the heart of this people is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes have they closed; lest they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.”

2 Cor. 4:4 —KJV
“In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.”

brightfame52

God grants repentance

Man who fails to repent

Man who does repent

Jonah 3 (KJV 1900)

Repentance as Faith are graces that accompany regeneration, the new birth.

TomFL

Repentance as Faith are graces that accompany regeneration, the new birth.
Afraid not

Faith precedes regeneration

John 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
John 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.
John 5:40 And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.
John 20:31 But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

brightfame52

Afraid not

Faith precedes regeneration

John 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
John 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.
John 20:31 But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.
Faith is the fruit of regeneration. The natural man is spiritually dead.

TomFL

Faith is the fruit of regeneration. The natural man is spiritually dead.
That's your theology

I believe the bible

John 1:12 —ESV
“But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God,”

brightfame52

That's your theology

I believe the bible

John 1:12 —ESV
“But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God,”

Both faith and repentance are fruit of regeneration. Otherwise man is Spiritually lost and dead in sin.