Repetitive Prayer

Maxtar

Rev 4:8

And each of the four living creatures had six wings and was covered with eyes all around and within. Day and night they never stop saying:

“Holy, Holy, Holy,

is the Lord God Almighty,

who was and is and is to come!”

So please, since repetitive prayer seems to be just fine in heaven, no more of the charge that if Catholics engage in repetitive prayer hear on earth it is somehow wrong. Thank you and God bless.

mica

And each of the four living creatures had six wings and was covered with eyes all around and within. Day and night they never stop saying:

“Holy, Holy, Holy,

So please, since repetitive prayer seems to be just fine in heaven, no more of the charge that if Catholics engage in repetitive prayer hear on earth it is somehow wrong. Thank you and God bless.
again that is in heaven, this is earth.

who are the 4 living creatures? Are you 1 of the 4?

is that a prayer or worship?

balshan

“Holy, Holy, Holy,

That is praising the Lord, not repetitive Marian prayers. Those have the correct focus. Took awhile for that verse to be found. I know it and often praise the Lord.

The Marian prayers fall under this verse:

Matt 6:7

7 And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words

Last edited:

pilgrim

What's the difference? I thought protestants say (especially concerning Mary) that prayer is worship.

mica

What's the difference? I thought protestants say (especially concerning Mary) that prayer is worship.
since you're posting about what a protestant says, ask a protestant. a believer will probably answer something different than an unbeliever.

Buzzard

“Holy, Holy, Holy,

Do you not know anything

have you never read that the Lives we lead are;
A song of Praise and a melody of worship
a sweet smell as if it was incense burned on the alter

Words are cheap, the proof in in "Da Puddin" as they say

it is the lives; action and deeds of his people that speak

“Holy, Holy, Holy,

Be not as a Hypocrite

But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do:
for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

Repetitive prayer is an insult to him;
same as a spoiled brat in the Candy isle
"Please Momma; Please Momma; Please Momma; Please Momma; Please Momma;
over and over again;
The Father is a Goodly Parent;
Not some :devilish:Earthly tyrant Poop-Say :devilish: that demands people groveling in the Dirt at his feet begging for attention

leonard03782

I

“Holy, Holy, Holy,

I have question for you..........Do you or do you not follow the teachings of Jesus?
Your post gives proof to the fact that you do the same thing to the words of Jesus that you do to the rest of the Scriptures-----you cherry pick what you want to believe and you disregard the rest.

Bonnie

“Holy, Holy, Holy,

This is in heaven. They have all of eternity to praise God. Also, this is a paen of praise to God Almighty. We here on earth can do that, but we also have prayers to God in Christ Jesus for help, for peace, for intervention, for healing....they don't need prayers like that in heaven.

Maxtar

So, are you of the opinion that we cannot emulate on earth what goes on in heaven?

Does it matter if I am one of the 4? I am a believer as they are.

How do people show worship? They pray. Just reading the bible is a form of prayer and thus worship too.

Maxtar

I

I have question for you..........Do you or do you not follow the teachings of Jesus?
Your post gives proof to the fact that you do the same thing to the words of Jesus that you do to the rest of the Scriptures-----you cherry pick what you want to believe and you disregard the rest.

Me? Oh come on. See, what I have pointed out here is that there is no problem with repetitive prayer which you always tag us with as a negative. If it is allowed in the holiest place that exists - heaven, it surely should be just fine down here.

Maxtar

And it is going on in heaven as we speak. What we have here in regards to this is one again your bad and error filled interpretation of the scriptures. So how many times am I allowed to say "Jesus is Lord"? Once a day? Once a week? Once in a lifetime? If I say it 50 times in a row, is that somehow wrong?

leonard03782

Me? Oh come on. See, what I have pointed out here is that there is no problem with repetitive prayer which you always tag us with as a negative. If it is allowed in the holiest place that exists - heaven, it surely should be just fine down here.
REALLY?? Are you so naive that you believe that Jesus had absolutely no clue as to what is happening
on a continuing basis around the throne of GOD?
Jesus knew what was happening around the throne of GOD and still said not to use vain repetitions like the heathen do.
I will ask the question again---Do you or do you not follow the teachings of Jesus?? NO YOU DO NOT!!!

SPOKENWORD

“Holy, Holy, Holy,

Pray in the Spirit and you wont be guilty of repetitive prayer. First one must be "Born Again".

pilgrim

Do you not know anything

have you never read that the Lives we lead are;
A song of Praise and a melody of worship
a sweet smell as if it was incense burned on the alter

Words are cheap, the proof in in "Da Puddin" as they say

it is the lives; action and deeds of his people that speak

“Holy, Holy, Holy,

Be not as a Hypocrite

But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do:
for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

same as a spoiled brat in the Candy isle
"Please Momma; Please Momma; Please Momma; Please Momma; Please Momma;
over and over again;
The Father is a Goodly Parent;
You say repetitive prayer is an insult to God. Yet Jesus gives us this parable:

Luke 18 Then Jesus told them a parable about their need to pray always and not to lose heart. 2 He said, “In a certain city there was a judge who neither feared God nor had respect for people. 3 In that city there was a widow who kept coming to him and saying, ‘Grant me justice against my opponent.’ 4 For a while he refused; but later he said to himself, ‘Though I have no fear of God and no respect for anyone, 5 yet because this widow keeps bothering me, I will grant her justice, so that she may not wear me out by continually coming.’” 6 And the Lord said, “Listen to what the unjust judge says. 7 And will not God grant justice to his chosen ones who cry to him day and night? Will he delay long in helping them? 8 I tell you, he will quickly grant justice to them. And yet, when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on earth?”

mica

mica said:

So, are you of the opinion that we cannot emulate on earth what goes on in heaven?

Does it matter if I am one of the 4? I am a believer as they are.

How do people show worship? They pray. Just reading the bible is a form of prayer and thus worship too.
you haven't answered my questions.

how do you know what goes on in heaven?

do they believe in and follow the pope in heaven?

what makes you think you are a believer as they are?

reading the bible as the RCC teaches it isn't a form of prayer or worship.

mica

leonard03782 said:

your reply doesn't answer leonard's question.

Buzzard

Buzzard said:

And it is going on in heaven as we speak. What we have here in regards to this is one again your bad and error filled interpretation of the scriptures. So how many times am I allowed to say "Jesus is Lord"? Once a day? Once a week? Once in a lifetime? If I say it 50 times in a row, is that somehow wrong?

We are not to Worship, Pray Too, nor speak of The Most High
as the Heathen ("Gentiles") do their Gods

All these "Heathen, Demon, and Satanic "Mandrakes" were brought into the City by the Gentile converts
planted there by the ECF's in the 1st few years;
Wine mingled by men led on by Satan;
Men of Belial they were
and then served to an unsuspecting populist

Men that knew not Moses nor the Prophets
and tried to interpret the Words of Christ, the Apostles and especially Paul
thru their own surmising's and vain imaginations

the court which is without the temple leave out, and measure it not;
for it is given unto the Gentiles:
and the holy city shall they tread under foot forty and two months.

Nondenom40

“Holy, Holy, Holy,

Its not repetitive prayer. No one in heaven is petitioning God for anything. Get your terms right. This is pure worship of those in the presence of God. Notice its the four living creatures and not every single created thing in heaven...i.e. the myriads of angels and all those brought out of Abrahams bosom after the resurrection? Context is our friend. Heres Robertson on Matt 6:7

Use not vain repetitions (μη βατταλογησητε). Used of stammerers who repeat the words, then mere babbling or chattering, empty repetition. The etymology is uncertain, but it is probably onomatopoetic like "babble." The worshippers of Baal on Mount Carmel (1Ki 8:26) and of Diana in the amphitheatre at Ephesus who yelled for two hours (Ac 19:34) are examples. The Mohammedans may also be cited who seem to think that they "will be heard for their much speaking" (εν τη πολυλογια). Vincent adds "and the Romanists with their paternosters and avast." The Syriac Sinaitic has it: "Do not be saying idle things." Certainly Jesus does not mean to condemn all repetition in prayer since he himself prayed three times in Gethsemane "saying the same words again" (Mt 26:44). "As the Gentiles do," says Jesus. "The Pagans thought that by endless repetitions and many words they would inform their gods as to their needs and weary them ('fatigare deos') into granting their requests" (Bruce).

So yes, there is meaningless repetition, like 50 prayers to mary. Thats neither worship or prayer.

And Calvin;

Matthew 6:7
Christ reproves the folly of those who, with the view of persuading and entreating God, pour out a superfluity of words. This doctrine is not inconsistent with the praises everywhere bestowed in Scripture on earnestness in prayer: for, when prayer is offered with earnest feeling, the tongue does not go before the heart. Besides, the grace of God is not obtained by an unmeaning flow of words; but, on the contrary, a devout heart throws out its affections, like arrows, to pierce heaven. At the same time, this condemns the superstition of those who entertain the belief, that they will secure the favor of God by long murmurings. We find Popery to be so deeply imbued with this error, that it believes the efficacy of prayer to lie chiefly in talkativeness. The greater number of words that a man mutters, the more diligently he is supposed to have prayed. Long and tedious chanting also, as if it were to soothe the ears of God, continually resounds in their cathedrals.

(from Calvin's Commentaries, PC Study Bible formatted electronic database Copyright © 2005-2006 by Biblesoft, Inc. All rights reserved.)

Also, as catholics are prone to doing, i'd be careful using Gods Holy scripture to prop up your unbibilcal teachings and accuse Gods Holy creatures of repetitive prayers. Thats dangerous territory but catholics do it all the time.