Repetitive Prayer

balshan

“Holy, Holy, Holy, is the Lord God Almighty, who was and is and is to come!”

Surely you are not going to try and tell me that that communication with God is not a prayer? It's just like the Gloria which we pray at Mass. "Glory to God in the highest. And on earth peace to men of good will. We praise You. We bless You. We adore you. We glorify You. We give You thanks for Your great glory....
NT.

balshan

...get them in every color!

That is a non-answer. Now, is the OP supposed to be for the purpose of justifying saying the Rosary?
I had a pretty set of rosary beads, they were crystals which picked up every colour in the rainbow, and they went into a little white purse thing

Josiah

Rev 4:8

And each of the four living creatures had six wings and was covered with eyes all around and within. Day and night they never stop saying:

“Holy, Holy, Holy,

is the Lord God Almighty,

who was and is and is to come!”

So please, since repetitive prayer seems to be just fine in heaven, no more of the charge that if Catholics engage in repetitive prayer hear on earth it is somehow wrong. Thank you and God bless.

The same who rebuke "repetitive prayers" sometimes are the same people with "contemporary songs" that repeat the SAME few words over and over and over and over and over and over until we scream ENOUGH ALREADY!

The prayers that alloy me are the ones with "just" in every other word;. "Just Lord just look upon your people and just give just what I want just because you love." Bad example, but sometimes "just" is by far the most common word in some public prayers in churches.... often seems to diminish God as if He can only do "JUST" so much.

mica

The same who rebuke "repetitive prayers" sometimes are the same people with "contemporary songs" that repeat the SAME few words over and over and over and over and over and over until we scream ENOUGH ALREADY!

The prayers that alloy me are the ones with "just" in every other word;. "Just Lord just look upon your people and just give just what I want just because you love." Bad example, but sometimes "just" is by far the most common word in some public prayers in churches.... often seems to diminish God as if He can only do "JUST" so much.
I agree on that. I often think it must be a new believer - just learning to pray using their own words.

or a very old believer who is - just plain tired of trying to think about anything and is probably having trouble thinking of words!

otoh, He is JUST. He gives us what we need to know to accept Him as Lord and Savior, to believe in and follow Him, but so many reject His word for that of man.

mica

You see mica, often your questions are really insults with a question mark behind them. That might be why many of your questions go unanswered.
"...In all things charity", right?
how about truth? His truth?

one has no charity (love) without Him. Where is the charity / love for and of Him when you follow a false teacher instead of Him? teach contrary to His word? ignore His word (since catholics know little of it and don't read and study it)?

Is lying to someone considered 'charity' by catholics? evidently it is because that what the RCC does continually.

catholics think anything someone says contrary to what the RCC teaches is an insult. No, it is the truth. The RCC won't tell you the truth of His word. How did people react to Paul? and many to Jesus Himself while on earth? even now they do the same - ignore Him, insult Him and attack Him and His word. Catholics on here do that continually. Did Jesus and the apostles ignore questions they didn't like or that were contrary to what they believed and taught? Catholics most often don't answer because they have no answers of Him / from scripture. that you find them insulting is just another catholic excuse / dodge. The RCC does not equip you with the truth of His word, catholics have no armor of God.

Every time a catholic posts that the RCC is His church, that is an insult to Him. Every time a catholic posts that their RCC men are representatives of Him, that is an insult to Him. Every time they pervert His word, that is an insult to Him.

Be more concerned about the insults to Him, than those you perceive to be to you.

How do you think God feels / reacts to catholics who believe, live and teach contrary to His word?

pilgrim

how about truth? His truth?

one has no charity (love) without Him. Where is the charity / love for and of Him when you follow a false teacher instead of Him? teach contrary to His word? ignore His word (since catholics know little of it and don't read and study it)?

Is lying to someone considered 'charity' by catholics? evidently it is because that what the RCC does continually.

catholics think anything someone says contrary to what the RCC teaches is an insult. No, it is the truth. The RCC won't tell you the truth of His word. How did people react to Paul? and many to Jesus Himself while on earth? even now they do the same - ignore Him, insult Him and attack Him and His word. Catholics on here do that continually. Did Jesus and the apostles ignore questions they didn't like or that were contrary to what they believed and taught? Catholics most often don't answer because they have no answers of Him / from scripture. that you find them insulting is just another catholic excuse / dodge. The RCC does not equip you with the truth of His word, catholics have no armor of God.

Every time a catholic posts that the RCC is His church, that is an insult to Him. Every time a catholic posts that their RCC men are representatives of Him, that is an insult to Him. Every time they pervert His word, that is an insult to Him.

Be more concerned about the insults to Him, than those you perceive to be to you.

How do you think God feels / reacts to catholics who believe, live and teach contrary to His word?
I disagree. The Church is the pillar and foundation and the truth, as Scripture says.

romishpopishorganist

So, people will be saying the Rosary in heaven????
No! What need would there be for any prayer in heaven? People behold God face to face. They can talk to him directly---which I guess is a form of prayer---but a more perfect form than what we know on earth.

The Rosary is a meditation on the Incarnation; at its core. In heaven, we obviously will not need to mediate on the mysteries of God, when, once again, we behold those mysteries directly, face to face.

On earth, we walk by Faith, not by sight. This is why we need the form of prayers that we do. In heaven, there will still be prayer--if we define prayer as communication with God, but it will be a more perfect form than what we know on earth, since we will no longer walk by Faith, but will walk by sight.

Bonnie

Those 7/11 songs--! They can drive one crazy! Especially the choruses!
Good point.

Bonnie

No! What need would there be for any prayer in heaven? People behold God face to face. They can talk to him directly---which I guess is a form of prayer---but a more perfect form than what we know on earth.

Oh, so those songs of praise in heaven are NOT prayers...then you say they ARE a form of prayer...which is it?

The Rosary is a meditation on the Incarnation; at its core. In heaven, we obviously will not need to mediate on the mysteries of God, when, once again, we behold those mysteries directly, face to face.

The Rosary is focused more on Mary in many parts than Jesus...far more "Hail Mary"s than "Our Father"--aren't there?
On earth, we walk by Faith, not by sight. This is why we need the form of prayers that we do.

no, we don't. No one needs the Rosary. We can just talk to Jesus right from the heart.
In heaven, there will still be prayer--if we define prayer as communication with God,

You contradicted what you said in your first paragraph. Are songs of praise prayers or what?
but it will be a more perfect form than what we know on earth, since we will no longer walk by Faith, but will walk by sight.
Okay. Except the HS perfects our prayers NOW, when we don't know how to pray as we ought.

romishpopishorganist

Oh, so those songs of praise in heaven are NOT prayers...then you say they ARE a form of prayer...which is it?

Alright, Bonnie, since you are going to get into semantics.

Yes, there is prayer in heaven. However, our worship of God, our communication with God is direct. We behold God face to face. Thus the way we pray on earth will pass away---for a new and more perfect form of prayer. On earth, we walk by Faith, not site. In heaven, we no longer need Faith for we now walk by sight.
The Rosary is focused more on Mary in many parts than Jesus...far more "Hail Mary"s than "Our Father"--aren't there?

Yeah--I know this is what you think--but if you could think beyond your one dimensional fundamentalist theological flatland you would see what the Rosary is at it's core.

The Hail Mary is Biblical. "Hail Mary full of Grace, the Lord is with you." That was the angel's greeting. "Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb" was Elizabeth's greeting when Mary visited her. "Holy Mary Mother of God" is what Mary is since the person she bears and gives birth to is divine.

"Pray for us sinners, now, and at the hour of our death" is not in the Bible. So what? Why shouldn't we want Mary to pray for us now and at the hour of death? Who better to pray for us at the hour of our death than Mary? And don't say "Jesus!" because that is not in dispute. Who better to pray for us to JESUS than Mary? Can you think of anyone?
No, we don't. No one needs the Rosary. We can just talk to Jesus right from the heart.

:rolleyes:

Again with your zero-sum, one dimensional, flatland theology, only what it essential, false dichotomy, fundamentalist nonsense.

There are many and varied ways to pray, Bonnie. The theological world in which we live has more than one dimension, Bonnie.

The Rosary, like other devotions in the Church is a tool; it is a means to an end, not the end itself. The Rosary is there to help people pray. Prayer, I want to note is not just "talking to Jesus right from the heart." Prayer is that, but that is elementary; surface level prayer. There are deeper forms of prayer. Prayer is also meditation and reflection on the mysteries of the Faith revealed in the Bible. The deepest form of prayer--is actually when the person praying simply sits in the presence of God without saying or doing anything--the person just enjoys God's company. It is analagous to when you sit with your spouse without having to say anything--just enjoying each other's company.
Okay. Except the HS perfects our prayers NOW, when we don't know how to pray as we ought.

Yeah--you missed my point----which, I guess if you think about it isn't surprising.

balshan

I disagree. The Church is the pillar and foundation and the truth, as Scripture says.
Unfortunately if the church was what it claims to be then it would not lie or have false doctrines. But it lies and there is only one source of lies and it is not Jesus.