Resisting God, His Grace, His Spirit

G

guest1

God is resistible as we read in both Testaments below.

Titus 2:11
For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation to all men,

Since all men are not saved and Gids grace goes out to all men, Gods grace can be resisted.

Acts 7:51
“You stiff-necked people! Your hearts and ears are still uncircumcised. You are just like your ancestors: You always resist the Holy Spirit!

God the Holy Spirit can be resisted.

Hebrews 10:29
How much more severely do you think someone deserves to be punished who has trampled the Son of God underfoot, who has treated as an unholy thing the blood of the covenant that sanctified them, and who has insulted the Spirit of grace?

Here we see the Spirit of grace resisted, insulted, rejected and trampled under.

Hebrews 6:4-8
It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit, 5 who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age 6 and who have fallen away, to be brought back to repentance. To their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over again and subjecting him to public disgrace.

Here we have those receiving Gods grace sharing in the Holy Spirit of grace reject it. They have fallen away permanently from His grace and can no longer repent.

Psalm 78:17;40
But they continued to sin against Him, rebelling in the desert against the Most High. How often they disobeyed Him in the wilderness and grieved Him in the desert!

Here we see them in the wilderness rejecting Gods grace upon them and grieving God in the process.

conclusion: just 1 passage showing God can be resisted is enough to prove it is true. But as we see there are plenty of passages which prove man can resist God.

hope this helps !!!

And to take from @Johnnybgood thread this is true coming from a Calvinist Theologian/Scholar whom is well respected in his field.

Loraine Boettner has stated on p. 59 of his book, The Reformed Doctrine of Predestination,

"prove any one of them true and all of the others will follow as logical and necessary parts of the system. Prove any one of them false and the whole system must be abandoned."

hope this helps !!!

Yes notice all the crickets

<Chuckle>

Why should we waste our time responding to insulting and worthless rhetoric?
And most of what's been posted is nothing but reruns of things responded to hundreds of times already.
I'm sorry if you have nothing better to do with your life tha spend all day on a discussion forum insulting people and being contentious with them, and then trying to goad them into argument when you don't get the attention you so desperately crave.

the " I " in the flower has been removed with scripture and their invention proved to be a failure.

How so?
Who were the "judges" who made this "judgment"?

1Kings 20:11 The king of Israel replied, “Tell him the one who puts on his battle gear should not boast like one who is taking it off.

God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit have all been resisted in Scripture.

oops

And no Calvinist has ever taught differently.
Straw-man much?

God is resistible as we read in both Testaments below.

Titus 2:11
For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation to all men,

Since all men are not saved and Gids grace goes out to all men, Gods grace can be resisted.

Acts 7:51
“You stiff-necked people! Your hearts and ears are still uncircumcised. You are just like your ancestors: You always resist the Holy Spirit!

God the Holy Spirit can be resisted.

Hebrews 10:29
How much more severely do you think someone deserves to be punished who has trampled the Son of God underfoot, who has treated as an unholy thing the blood of the covenant that sanctified them, and who has insulted the Spirit of grace?

Here we see the Spirit of grace resisted, insulted, rejected and trampled under.

Hebrews 6:4-8
It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit, 5 who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age 6 and who have fallen away, to be brought back to repentance. To their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over again and subjecting him to public disgrace.

Here we have those receiving Gods grace sharing in the Holy Spirit of grace reject it. They have fallen away permanently from His grace and can no longer repent.

Psalm 78:17;40
But they continued to sin against Him, rebelling in the desert against the Most High. How often they disobeyed Him in the wilderness and grieved Him in the desert!

Here we see them in the wilderness rejecting Gods grace upon them and grieving God in the process.

conclusion: just 1 passage showing God can be resisted is enough to prove it is true. But as we see there are plenty of passages which prove man can resist God.

hope this helps !!!
God can and does overcome any resistance if He so desires. next

hope this helps

God can and does overcome any resistance if He so desires. next

hope this helps

Exactly. This OP exposes the obvious fact that they do not understand the doctrine of Irresistible Grace.

To further prove their misunderstanding all we have to do is ask them if they can now resist Jesus and “choose” to reject him as “foolishness”…

… or has Jesus became to them “the power and wisdom of God” such that he is now irresistible?

“For the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.” (1Co 1:18)

“And because of him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption,” (1Co 1:30)

Perceiving Christ Crucified as the power and wisdom of God, instead of foolishness, is the Irresistible Grace that Calvinists speak of. If you can’t resist Christ then you have come to experience the Irresistible Grace of God.

And to take from @Johnnybgood thread this is true coming from a Calvinist Theologian/Scholar whom is well respected in his field.

Loraine Boettner has stated on p. 59 of his book, The Reformed Doctrine of Predestination,

"prove any one of them true and all of the others will follow as logical and necessary parts of the system. Prove any one of them false and the whole system must be abandoned."

hope this helps !!!
Jn 6:37, 44-45, 64-65 ... “All that the Father gives Me will come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will by no means cast out. No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up at the last day. It is written in the prophets, And they shall all be taught by God. Therefore everyone who has heard and learned from the Father comes to Me. But there are some of you who do not believe. For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were who did not believe, and who would betray Him. And He said, Therefore I have said to you that no one can come to Me unless it has been granted to him by My Father.”

Jn 10:14-16 ... I am the good shepherd, and I know My own, and My own know Me, just as the Father knows Me and I know the Father; and I lay down My life for the sheep. And I have other sheep that are not of this fold; I must bring them also, and they will listen to My voice; and they will become one flock, with one shepherd.

Acts 13:48 “Now when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad and glorified the word of the Lord. And as many as had been appointed to eternal life believed.”

Acts 16:14 “Now a certain woman named Lydia heard us. She was a seller of purple from the city of Thyatira, who worshiped God. The Lord opened her heart to heed the things spoken by Paul.”

Notice the verses cited by @Chalcedon here, are NOT in the context of salvation / irresistible grace, while each passage I cite is. There are more passages which can be cited supporting irresistible grace.

Exactly. This OP exposes the obvious fact that they do not understand the doctrine of Irresistible Grace.

To further prove their misunderstanding all we have to do is ask them if they can now resist Jesus and “choose” to reject him as “foolishness”…

… or has Jesus became to them “the power and wisdom of God” such that he is now irresistible?

“For the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.” (1Co 1:18)

“And because of him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption,” (1Co 1:30)

Perceiving Christ Crucified as the power and wisdom of God, instead of foolishness, is the Irresistible Grace that Calvinists speak of. If you can’t resist Christ then you have come to experience the Irresistible Grace of God.

We can't resist Christ if we are already libertarianly seeking the truth.

Jn 6:37, 44-45, 64-65 ... “All that the Father gives Me will come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will by no means cast out. No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up at the last day. It is written in the prophets, And they shall all be taught by God. Therefore everyone who has heard and learned from the Father comes to Me. But there are some of you who do not believe. For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were who did not believe, and who would betray Him. And He said, Therefore I have said to you that no one can come to Me unless it has been granted to him by My Father.”

Jn 10:14-16 ... I am the good shepherd, and I know My own, and My own know Me, just as the Father knows Me and I know the Father; and I lay down My life for the sheep. And I have other sheep that are not of this fold; I must bring them also, and they will listen to My voice; and they will become one flock, with one shepherd.

Acts 13:48 “Now when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad and glorified the word of the Lord. And as many as had been appointed to eternal life believed.”

Acts 16:14 “Now a certain woman named Lydia heard us. She was a seller of purple from the city of Thyatira, who worshiped God. The Lord opened her heart to heed the things spoken by Paul.”

Notice the verses cited by @Chalcedon here, are NOT in the context of salvation / irresistible grace, while each passage I cite is. There are more passages which can be cited supporting irresistible grace.

The libertarian seekers will find God's grace irresistable.

You said, here, that God's grace is not irresistible. Let me know when you make up your mind on the subject.

The seekers by natural or specific revelation are libertarian. But those people will respond irresistably when they understand the gospel. All in all believers are libertarian.

Back