Robert E Lee statue removed from Monument Avenue in Richmond VA

vibise

Robert E. Lee, the general who committed treason against the United States in an effort to maintain the ability of White Southerners to own other human beings, no longer looms over Richmond. After a controversy that went on for years, Lee’s statue was removed Wednesday from Monument Avenue in the Virginia capital.

It was a vivid illustration of an important fact: Liberals, and particularly Black Americans, have pretty much won the debate over the Confederacy. Will there be a backlash? Probably. But in this one corner of our never-ending culture war, the fight is all but over...

it became impossible to argue that the Confederacy itself stood for something important to glorify when, above all, it stood for the enslavement of human beings. That then left the lamest argument of all, that to remove a statue is to destroy “history,” which we will supposedly be unable to remember unless it is cast in bronze.

But as even a child can understand, statues don’t just say “Here’s an important figure from history you should know about.” If that were the case there might be statues of Adolf Hitler or Osama bin Laden in your town square.

The Lee statue in Richmond dates to 1890, after the end of Reconstruction brought the first wave of Confederate statues being erected throughout the South. That was the front end of a period that saw a vicious and bloody reinstallation of white supremacy throughout the region, in which Jim Crow was solidified, the Ku Klux Klan was created, and Blacks were the targets of a decades-long campaign of terrorism.
About time.

This was the largest of the statues on Monument Ave, and all but one of the others have been removed.
This one is going into storage somewhere...

About time.

This was the largest of the statues on Monument Ave, and all but one of the others have been removed.
Yup, glad it's gone now.

Honestly, as art work, it looked pretty impressive; 12000lbs and probably more than 10ft tall. I'm just as glad they're not throwing it away.

So the Democrats want you to forget that they just enslaved a whole nation (Afghanistan) to militant Islam.

How is this relevant to the topic being discussed?
As I see it, this topic is entirely about the Democrats' virtue signalling, by removing statues of persons directly or indirectly linked to slavery. Virtue signalling is a lot of what we get from Democracts nowadays. Most people have learned to ignore statues as relics of a bygone era. Do I personally take any notice of them? No.

So if they'd said the statue was being remove for violating the biblical commandment "Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image", then I guess this topic might have had a different slant.

Would they be lying? LOL
Nobody is denying the old Democratic Party in the South were racist.

Right-wingers lie when they claim those people are the same as the Democratic Party today. You can just look at a map, and the actions of certain people and clearly see those old racists are all Republicans today.

This is obvious, and we all know it.

I think you will find every statue needs to be removed because everyone is guilty of something that offends someone

I think Robert E Lee primary reason was State rights to self determination
States rights to own slaves

Congrats, I guess, if you think removing a statue is a great accomplishment. In the meantime, we are being enslaved.
Luckily, as during the time of the Civil War, Canada is still free. If Americans are, as you claim, enslaved, then it may be time to once again set up an Underground Railroad so the poor, wretched, huddled masses of Americans who yearn for freedom can find that freedom in Canada.

So the Democrats want you to forget that they just enslaved a whole nation (Afghanistan) to militant Islam.
And the Republicans want you to forget it was tRump's idea to negotiate with the Taliban and withdraw from Afghanistan. They also want you to forget tRump released thousands of Taliban fighters as part of the deal.

And the Republicans want you to forget it was tRump's idea to negotiate with the Taliban and withdraw from Afghanistan. They also want you to forget tRump released thousands of Taliban fighters as part of the deal.
You can't exonerate your own hypocrisy by the hypocrisy of your political opponents. Eze 18:20 "The one who sins is the one who will die."

Back