Rock star?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arch Stanton

Acts 5:12-16 Many signs and wonders were done among the people
at the hands of the apostles.
They were all together
in Solomon’s portico.
None of the others dared to join them, but the people esteemed them.
Yet more than ever, believers in the Lord,
great numbers of men and women, were added to them.
Thus they even carried the sick out into the streets
and laid them on cots and mats
so that when Peter came by,
at least his shadow might fall on one or another of them.

A large number of people from the towns
in the vicinity of Jerusalem also gathered,
bringing the sick and those disturbed by unclean spirits,
and they were all cured.

They were all together
in Solomon’s portico.

and they were all cured.
Acts 9

God: Paul is my chosen instrument..drops mic.

“My brothers, you are well aware that from early days God made his choice among you that through my mouth the Gentiles would hear the word of the gospel and believe.

Acts 19:11-12:

Acts 19:11-12
New International Version

"11 God did extraordinary miracles through Paul, 12 so that even handkerchiefs and aprons that had touched him were taken to the sick, and their illnesses were cured and the evil spirits left them."

Peter was not unique in this respect.

Paul was Jew.

“My brothers, you are well aware that from early days God made his choice among you that through my mouth the Gentiles would hear the word of the gospel and believe.
Acts 9:
“Lord,” Ananias answered, “I have heard many reports about this man and all the harm he has done to your holy people in Jerusalem. 14 And he has come here with authority from the chief priests to arrest all who call on your name.”

15 But the Lord said to Ananias, “Go! This man is my chosen instrument to proclaim my name to the Gentiles and their kings and to the people of Israel. 16 I will show him how much he must suffer for my name.”

Peter was not unique in bringing the Gospel to the Gentiles. :)

Acts 9:31-32 The CHURCH THROUGHOUT all Judea, Galilee, and Samaria was at peace. It was being built up and walked in the fear of the Lord, and with the consolation of the holy Spirit it grew in numbers.

As PETER was passing THROUGH EVERY REGION, he went down to the holy ones living in Lydda.

Acts 19:11-12:

Acts 19:11-12​

New International Version​

"11 God did extraordinary miracles through Paul, 12 so that even handkerchiefs and aprons that had touched him were taken to the sick, and their illnesses were cured and the evil spirits left them."

Peter was not unique in this respect.
Miracles were proof of their apostolic authority. I'm sure they all performed miracles. They like to single out Peter for the sole purpose of pretending he has some authority he didn't.

Acts 9:31-32 The CHURCH THROUGHOUT all Judea, Galilee, and Samaria was at peace. It was being built up and walked in the fear of the Lord, and with the consolation of the holy Spirit it grew in numbers.

As PETER was passing THROUGH EVERY REGION, he went down to the holy ones living in Lydda.
So what? The back of my bible and many others are maps giving details of Pauls three missionary journeys. I've never seen a map of Peters missionary journeys. Maybe those are in catholic bibles?

I will build MY CHURCH, and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it. I will give YOU [Peter] THE KEYS to the kingdom of heaven.

I will build MY CHURCH, and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it. I will give YOU [Peter] THE KEYS to the kingdom of heaven.
Doesn't make him pope. And that authority belongs to all believers.

Robertson's Word Pictures;

The Keys of the kingdom (τας κλειδας της βασιλειας). Here again we have the figure of a building with keys to open from the outside. The question is raised at once if Jesus does not here mean the same thing by "kingdom" that he did by "church" in verse 18. In Rev 1:18; Rev 3:7 Christ the Risen Lord has "the keys of death and of Hades." He has also "the keys of the kingdom of heaven" which he here hands over to Peter as "gatekeeper" or "steward" (οικονομος) provided we do not understand it as a special and peculiar prerogative belonging to Peter. The same power here given to Peter belongs to every disciple of Jesus in all the ages. Advocates of papal supremacy insist on the primacy of Peter here and the power of Peter to pass on this supposed sovereignty to others. But this is all quite beside the mark. We shall soon see the disciples actually disputing again (Mt 18:1) as to which of them is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven as they will again (20:21) and even on the night before Christ's death. Clearly neither Peter nor the rest understood Jesus to say here that Peter was to have supreme authority. What is added shows that Peter held the keys precisely as every preacher and teacher does.

Acts 5:28-29 “We gave you strict orders [did we not?] to stop teaching in that name. Yet you have filled Jerusalem with your teaching and want to bring this man’s blood upon us.”

But Peter and the apostles said in reply, “We must obey God rather than men.

Acts 2:14-40 Then Peter stood up with the Eleven, raised his voice, and proclaimed to them, “You who are Jews, indeed all of you staying in Jerusalem. Let this be known to you, and listen to my words…."

They were all together
in Solomon’s portico.

and they were all cured.
The verse with the exact words Peter is a rock star, Peter is a pope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back