Roman Catholic Thoughts On Spiritual Delusion . . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course. One of the wise statements made by Luther...

For, where God built a church, there the devil would also build a chapel…In such sort is the devil always God's ape.
Colloquia Mensalia (1566) ch. 2 (tr. H. Bell as Martin Luther's Divine Discourses, 1652)

For, where God built a church, there the devil would also build a chapel…In such sort is the devil always God's ape.
Colloquia Mensalia (1566) ch. 2 (tr. H. Bell as Martin Luther's Divine Discourses, 1652)
satan has a lot of 'churches' around the world and lots of false religions pretending that they teach His truth. in reality they are agents of satan.

NO way! Satan has rc's stumbling and fumbling around in the dark thinking that they are good with GOD. Why would he ever want to shed the light of the truth on his lies? Wouldn't it be counterproductive to what he actually wants?
I agree. A spirit of delusion will not incline persons to seek direction at the mouth of God. "To the law and to the testimony!" (Isiah 8:20) is never the cry of evil spirits who have no light in them.

Would the devil ever attempt to beget in Roman Catholic persons a regard to the divine Word of God?
My immediate reaction is "no!", but upon "codgertation" (when old men think 😉), I would say "perhaps".

Consider the Pharisees. They had a very high regard for the Word, scrupulously following all its "jots and tittles". Their problem, however, was that they were in love with their interpretations thereof (as well as the interpretations of their predecessors – embalmed as "Traditions of Our Forefathers") – to a point that Jesus laid into them for "nullifying the Word of God".

So, "regard to the divine Word of God" is fine with Satan (he quotes it, remember) as long as that Word can be nullified in some fashion.

--Rich
"Esse quam videri"

Luther died in 1546, have any direct quotes from his writings or sermons?

My immediate reaction is "no!", but upon "codgertation" (when old men think 😉), I would say "perhaps".

Consider the Pharisees. They had a very high regard for the Word, scrupulously following all its "jots and tittles". Their problem, however, was that they were in love with their interpretations thereof (as well as the interpretations of their predecessors – embalmed as "Traditions of Our Forefathers") – to a point that Jesus laid into them for "nullifying the Word of God".

So, "regard to the divine Word of God" is fine with Satan (he quotes it, remember) as long as that Word can be nullified in some fashion.

--Rich
"Esse quam videri"
Consider the 'Pharisees' within the Roman Catholic Church. Up until perhaps 40-50 years ago, they would never direct their 'flock' to covet the word of God and seek His direction. Instead Roman Catholic fledglings were told to say the rosary, attend novena services, go to confession, read the catechism, wear a scapular, succor Mary in every area of their life and devote themselves entirely to her or pick a favorite saint, then purchase and place a statue of them in a very noticeable place in your home, as a constant visual reminder to venerate daily whoever that graven image was cast to resemble.
It is only with God's own direction that they can discover their delusions.

Would the devil ever attempt to beget in Roman Catholic persons a regard to the divine Word of God?
While I know where you're going with this, the fact is that this is exactly what the devil does with the scribes and Pharisees in the bible. Satan can make that bible an idol to those he deceives and get them to use it to destroy anyone and everyone with it. Unlike those who are led by the Spirit, Satan is quite adept at getting people to blend, deflect, ignore, etc. rather than rightly divide the word.

In case you didn't notice, there are plenty of Catholics who know the bible better than you or I together and yet they're still Catholics. See how that works for Satan?

In fact, Satan probably loves using scripture to deceive the world, but especially professing Christians. What better way would Satan have than to use God's word to deceive the world? What would be more rewarding to Satan than to twist God's word to deceive the world?

After all, it's what he used to temp Christ.

Satan sees to it that they follow the misinterpretations of their institution. He has convinced them that is true by twisting the real meanings of biblical words, making out Latin is a biblical language, and pretending Mary is more than she is in scripture for example, he also allows them to justify ignoring verses and accepting evil behaviour of their leaders.

I mean Mary is there in scripture and for good reasons she needs to be. But he has them turning the biblical Mary into something more than she is in scripture. He has them gilding the lily so to speak. She is a wonderful woman but they want to turn her into something more. She should be noted for her obedience to God, following Him no matter how hard it is. But no they put her on a pedestal and bow before her, she would be appalled at that attention. It takes the focus off her son, which is what Satan wants.

Consider the 'Pharisees' within the Roman Catholic Church. Up until perhaps 40-50 years ago, they would never direct their 'flock' to covet the word of God and seek His direction.
I'm not too sure much has changed. 😢 Yes, reading the Scripture is not so much a no-no as it was, but one must still interpret it as the RCC sees fit. And practically, to whom does the RC turn to for guidance - if they even see the need for spiritual guidance?
Instead Roman Catholic fledglings were told to say the rosary, attend novena services, go to confession, read the catechism, wear a scapular, succor Mary in every area of their life and devote themselves entirely to her or pick a favorite saint, then purchase and place a statue of them in a very noticeable place in your home, as a constant visual reminder to venerate daily whoever that graven image was cast to resemble.
Seeing Roman Catholics' responses to "how do I get saved?", not much – if anything – has changed.
Yes! It takes God's Holy Spirit to open anyone's eyes. For some, it's like a light turning on; for others it's more like the sunrise - slow but sure. And some will battle the Light until the day they die. 😢

--Rich

YOUR strawman arguments, "Satan knows where the authority lies and it is not scripture alone; "

Sola Scriptura does NOT claim scripture alone is the only authority

I challenge you to use these descriptions:

From Catholic.com

the principle of sola scriptura ("Scripture alone"), according to the sharpest Protestant scholars, means that the Bible is the ultimate authority—above councils and popes and any tradition—but not that no commentary or tradition may be cited or utilized

from New Advent

"The [first] objective [or formal] principle proclaims the canonical Scriptures, especially the New Testament, to be the only infallible source and rule of faith and practice (not the only source)"
" Protestantism, however, by no means despises or rejects church authority as such, but only subordinates it to, and measures its value by, the Bible,"

from James White:
Secondly, it is not a denial of the Church’s authority to teach God’s truth. I Timothy 3:15 describes the Church as “the pillar and foundation of the truth.” The truth is in Jesus Christ and in His Word. The Church teaches truth and calls men to Christ and, in so doing, functions as the pillar and foundation thereof. The Church does not add revelation or rule over Scripture. The Church being the bride of Christ, listens to the Word of Christ, which is found in God-breathed Scripture.
sadly, it does when it is translated thru the hearts and minds of those who are in bondage to the men of the rcc, instead of to Christ alone.

Satan knows where the authority lies and it is not scripture alone; it is the Pope/Magisterium. That is why Satan attacks them - to leed people away from the truth.
The spirit of error deceives millions, just as you have been deceived into delusional thinking that man must create a high opinion of the Roman Catholic Pope and it's Magisterium. Satan knows that in order to promote the RCC's kingdom of darkness here on earth he must collaborate with the Pope/ Magisterium. Together with Satan they have always shown a mortal spite and hatred towards the Holy Word of God. They have done everything in their power to extinguish that eternal light that shines through their darkness, and they continue to try desperately to draw men off or away from it, because they all know it to be that light by which their kingdoms of darkness will be overthrown.

The spirit of error deceives millions, just as you have been deceived into delusional thinking that man must create a high opinion of the Roman Catholic Pope and it's Magisterium. Satan knows that in order to promote the RCC's kingdom of darkness here on earth he must collaborate with the Pope/ Magisterium. Together with Satan they have always shown a mortal spite and hatred towards the Holy Word of God. They have done everything in their power to extinguish that eternal light that shines through their darkness, and they continue to try desperately to draw men off or away from it, because they all know it to be that light by which their kingdoms of darkness will be overthrown.
Yes, scripture is important. That is why the Catholic church encourages us the read, study memorize and meditate on it. It upholds it as the inspired word of God.

We noticed that you didn't quote any scripture in your definition of sola scriptura. Sola Scriptura is a man made doctrine.

Scripture alone cannot be the ultimate authority above councils, Popes....
sure it can:
in the same way that the spoken words from God are above councils and Popes

Better far that I should read with certainty and persuasion of its truth the Holy Scripture, placed on the highest (even the heavenly) pinnacle of authority, and should, without questioning the trustworthiness of its statements, learn from it that men have been either, commended, or corrected, or condemned, than that, through fear of believing that by men, who, though of most praiseworthy excellence, were no more than men, actions deserving rebuke might sometimes be done, I should admit suspicions affecting the trustworthiness of the whole “oracles of God.”
-Augustine, Letters of St. Augustine, Letter 82.2.5

This Mediator [Jesus Christ], having spoken what He judged sufficient first by the prophets, then by His own lips, and afterwards by the apostles, has besides produced the Scripture which is called canonical, which has paramount authority, and to which we yield assent in all matters of which we ought not to be ignorant, and yet cannot know of ourselves.
-St. Augustine, quoted from his City of God, book XI, Chapter 3,

St. Augustine (A.D. 354–430)
De unitate ecclesiae, 10
“Neither dare one agree with catholic bishops if by chance they err in anything, but the result that their opinion is against the canonical Scriptures of God.”

Irenaeus (ca. 150)
Against Heresies 3.1.1
“We have learned from none others the plan of our salvation, than from those through whom the gospel has come down to us, which they did at one time proclaim in public, and, at a later period, by the will of God, handed down to us in the Scriptures, to be the ground and pillar of our faith.”

Clement of Alexandria (d. 215)
The Stromata, 7:16
“But those who are ready to toil in the most excellent pursuits, will not desist from the search after truth, till they get the demonstration from the Scriptures themselves.”

Gregory of Nyssa (d. ca. 395)
On the Holy Trinity NPNF, p. 327
“Let the inspired Scriptures then be our umpire, and the vote of truth will be given to those whose dogmas are found to agree with the Divine words.”

Athanasius (c. 296–373)
Against the Heathen, 1:3
“The holy and inspired Scriptures are fully sufficient for the proclamation of the truth.”
<
The Scriptures being “fully sufficient,” is simply a seed form of sola Scriptura.>

Basil the Great (ca. 329–379)
On the Holy Spirit, 7.16
“We are not content simply because this is the tradition of the Fathers. What is important is that the Fathers followed the meaning of the Scripture.”

Ambrose (A.D. 340–397)
On the Duties of the Clergy, 1:23:102
For how can we adopt those things which we do not find in the holy Scriptures?”

Stella1000 said:

Luther died in 1546, have any direct quotes from his writings or sermons?
That's a direct Luther quote from the first English addition of Martin Luther's Divine Discourses (1652). His "Table Talk" discourses.

Consider the 'Pharisees' within the Roman Catholic Church. Up until perhaps 40-50 years ago, they would never direct their 'flock' to covet the word of God and seek His direction. Instead Roman Catholic fledglings were told to say the rosary, attend novena services, go to confession, read the catechism, wear a scapular, succor Mary in every area of their life and devote themselves entirely to her or pick a favorite saint, then purchase and place a statue of them in a very noticeable place in your home, as a constant visual reminder to venerate daily whoever that graven image was cast to resemble.
I appreciate that obedience and knowing our smallness before God breeds humility in faith. I would not like to become a braggard, skiting about my guaranteed salvation while taking every opportunity to insult the faith of others. But that's just me and my faith.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back