Roman Catholics Believe in 'Plenary Indulgences,' but . . .

Please tell us what you mean by Plenary indulgences. I want your opinion on what they are. Thnx!

From the catechism:

1471 The doctrine and practice of indulgences in the Church are closely linked to the effects of the sacrament of Penance.
What is an indulgence?

"An indulgence is a remission before God of the temporal punishment due to sins whose guilt has already been forgiven, which the faithful Christian who is duly disposed gains under certain prescribed conditions through the action of the Church which, as the minister of redemption, dispenses and applies with authority the treasury of the satisfactions of Christ and the saints."

"An indulgence is partial or plenary according as it removes either part or all of the temporal punishment due to sin." The faithful can gain indulgences for themselves or apply them to the dead.

A plenary indulgence remvoes all of the temporal punishment.

If I am remembering correctly, a Roman Catholic "plenary indulgence" erases temporal punishment due to sin. I always wondered how a Roman Catholic person knew for sure if all their sins and/or punishment was erased.
We are sure because we believe that grace works in that way. It transverses the bridge between our sinful nature and Gods grace to repair the damage our sins cause to Himself and others.

From the catechism:

1471 The doctrine and practice of indulgences in the Church are closely linked to the effects of the sacrament of Penance.
What is an indulgence?

"An indulgence is a remission before God of the temporal punishment due to sins whose guilt has already been forgiven, which the faithful Christian who is duly disposed gains under certain prescribed conditions through the action of the Church which, as the minister of redemption, dispenses and applies with authority the treasury of the satisfactions of Christ and the saints."

"An indulgence is partial or plenary according as it removes either part or all of the temporal punishment due to sin." The faithful can gain indulgences for themselves or apply them to the dead.

Interesting. If a catholic is incarcerated for a crime and that 'temoral punishment' is removed through an indulgence are they set free? This is the nonsense man made religion fools people into believing.

From the catechism:

What is an indulgence?

This is patently stupid. It is Jesus' action on the cross by which we are saved by grace through faith in Him and what He did for us on that cross.

Grace through faith in Jesus does that--no
Indulgences necessary.

I thought Jesus did that...silly me! :)

If I am remembering correctly, a Roman Catholic "plenary indulgence" erases temporal punishment due to sin. I always wondered how a Roman Catholic person knew for sure if all their sins and/or punishment was erased.
Seriously!?

By Faith--just like everything else in the Christian religion.

This is patently stupid. It is Jesus' action on the cross by which we are saved by grace through faith in Him and what He did for us on that cross.

Grace through faith in Jesus does that--no
Indulgences necessary.

I thought Jesus did that...silly me! :)
Yes it is "patently" stupid is right! I was trying to describe what I could remember about that absurd Roman Catholic teaching of what a plenary indulgence was, since you had asked my opinion of what it was, so I gave it a go, digging out some memory of it's meaning that was taught in RCC grade school.

A big thank you goes out to Balshan for finding and posting the "authorized" Roman Catholic definition of what "plenary indulgences" are, confirming that it is still being taught today amongst many other false teachings of the Roman Catholic Church.

From the catechism:

What is an indulgence?

This read like a bunch of word salad. Can the Roman Catholic hierarchy make this religious belief system any more confusing for its laity?

Back