Romans 1 disproves total depravity, inability

G

guest1

If man is totally depraved, cannot seek God, cannot think a right though about God, cannot know truth as calvinists falsely claim, then why did God have to say 3 times He had to give these unbelieving reprobates over ?

Also how can these reprobates suppress the truth since they are dead and incapable of knowing the truth ?

See the oxymorons with such a false systematic ?

Romans 1
The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people, who suppress the truth by their wickedness, 19 since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 20 For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

21 For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22 Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools 23 and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like a mortal human being and birds and animals and reptiles.

24 Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another. 25 They exchanged the truth about God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. Amen.

26 Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones. 27 In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error.

28 Furthermore, just as they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, so God gave them over to a depraved mind, so that they do what ought not to be done. 29 They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips, 30 slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant and boastful; they invent ways of doing evil; they disobey their parents; 31 they have no understanding, no fidelity, no love, no mercy. 32 Although they know God’s righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them.

hope this helps !!!

Then there is this:
Rom 2:14 For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:

Totally Depraved would imply that one is never able to do what is right and lawful; scripture states that man naturally can keep the law.
The issue is that man will choose to break the law, then found guilty for breaking all the law.
James 2:10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.

Then there is this:
Rom 2:14 For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:

Totally Depraved would imply that one is never able to do what is right and lawful; scripture states that man naturally can keep the law.
The issue is that man will choose to break the law, then found guilty for breaking all the law.
James 2:10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.
Great point which would be impossible if their false doctrine of total inability were true. Yet another blatant contradiction with their teachings that conflict/ in opposition with scripture.

Reactions: Joe
If man is totally depraved, cannot seek God, cannot think a right though about God, cannot know truth as calvinists falsely claim, then why did God have to say 3 times He had to give these unbelieving reprobates over ?

Questions are not valid arguments.

Also how can these reprobates suppress the truth since they are dead and incapable of knowing the truth ?

Questions are not valid arguments.

Nope, since you didn't present any valid arguments.

Romans 1
The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people, who suppress the truth by their wickedness, 19 since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 20 For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

21 For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22 Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools 23 and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like a mortal human being and birds and animals and reptiles.

24 Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another. 25 They exchanged the truth about God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. Amen.

26 Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones. 27 In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error.

28 Furthermore, just as they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, so God gave them over to a depraved mind, so that they do what ought not to be done. 29 They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips, 30 slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant and boastful; they invent ways of doing evil; they disobey their parents; 31 they have no understanding, no fidelity, no love, no mercy. 32 Although they know God’s righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them.

hope this helps !!!
Romans 3 "no one seeks God" 🥱

Acts 17:26 And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation;
Acts 17:27 That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us:

The context of Rom 3:11 is a group that represents us and where we have all been at one time or another. But some do seek God. ...

Isaiah 11:10 (KJV) And in that day there shall be a root of Jesse, which shall stand for an ensign of the people; to it shall the Gentiles **seek**: and his rest shall be glorious.

Deuteronomy 4:29 (KJV) But if from thence thou shalt **seek** the LORD thy God, thou shalt find him, if thou seek him with all thy heart and with all thy soul.

Jeremiah 29:13 (KJV) And ye shall **seek** me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.

Hebrews 11:6 (KJV) But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently **seek** him.

Acts 17:27 (KJV) That they should **seek** the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us:

13:42 (KJV) And when the Jews were gone out of the synagogue, the Gentiles **besought** that these words might be preached to them the next sabbath.

Because total depravity does not mean absolute depravity. They can always become worse.

God doesn't do anything to these people. He gives them over to the Spiritual forces of wickedness that Paul talks about later.

You know, kind of like putting children in a school classroom with groomer perverts as teachers.

If man is totally depraved, cannot seek God, cannot think a right though about God, cannot know truth as calvinists falsely claim
I don't see it quite like that. According to this from Matt Slick on CARM....
Total Depravity – Man is completely touched/affected by sin in all that he is (in nature he is completely fallen), but is not as bad as he could be (in action, i.e., not all murder, etc.). Furthermore, this total depravity means that the unregenerate will not, of their own free will, choose to receive Christ.

Others see it as...Total Depravity - As a result of Adam’s fall, the entire human race is affected; all humanity is dead in trespasses and sins. Man is unable to save himself,

Where did you get your mistaken definition from?

Then there is this:

Again, you guys need to actually study what Calvinism teaches rather then just learning caricatures from anti-Calvinists.

Paul is simply saying that men in general do some of the things in the law. They do them because they are practical.
One man one woman marriage and raising kids is practical. But they don't do it to glorify God.

Where did you get your mistaken definition from?
I would bet that most of these anti-Calvinists have gotten most if not all of their understanding of Calvinism from anti-Calvinist posts that other anti-calvinists have written.

If you went up to one of these guys and handed them a Calvinist book explaining the 5 points, they would recoil away from it like Dracula from a cross.

Then there is this:

Correct. But amongst Calvinist they just can't conceive a man can make a decision to do any one thing right. When they see they obviously can many of them demonize their character and want to assert they do it for some evil selfish mysterious motive. Such an incredibility bizarre way of thinking but I've seen some out of their desperation assert that.

I would bet that most of these anti-Calvinists have gotten most if not all of their understanding of Calvinism from anti-Calvinist posts that other anti-calvinists have written.

I would agree. When you post some form of definition you should at least reference it.

If you went up to one of these guys and handed them a Calvinist book explaining the 5 points, they would recoil away from it like Dracula from a cross.

Correct. But amongst Calvinist they just can't conceive a man can make a decision to do any one thing right. When they see they obviously can many of them demonize their character and want to assert they do it for some evil selfish mysterious motive. Such an incredibility bizarre way of thinking but I've seen some out of their desperation assert that.
"Calvinist they just can't conceive a man can make a decision to do any one thing right."......that's pretty much a lie. Will you apologize Rockson?

.....or will you backpedal Rockson trying to cover up for that inaccurate remark???

Bocco that's quite a presumptuous statement to make. Many that are opposed to Calvinism have been on these web sites for years and have heard I'm sure every quotation for some of your most well known Calvinists. You actually believe most here haven't heard your 5 points and explained over and over and over? I'd say most certainly they have.

You simply refuse to believe Scripture:

Isa. 64:6 We have all become like one who is unclean,
and
all our righteous deeds are like a polluted garment.
We all fade like a leaf, and our iniquities, like the wind, take us away.

Rom. 3:10 as it is written: “None is righteous, no, not one;
11 no one understands; no one seeks for God.
12 All have turned aside; together they have become worthless;
no one does good, not even one.”

13 “Their throat is an open grave; they use their tongues to deceive.
“The
venom of asps is under their lips.”
14 “Their mouth is full of curses and bitterness.”
15 “Their feet are swift to shed blood;
16 in their paths are ruin and misery,
17 and the way of peace they have not known.”
18 “There is no fear of God before their eyes.”

Bocco that's quite a presumptuous statement to make. Many that are opposed to Calvinism have been on these web sites for years and have heard I'm sure every quotation for some of your most well known Calvinists. You actually believe most here haven't heard your 5 points and explained over and over and over? I'd say most certainly they have.

Then why do they constantly MISREPRESENT them?

If you say you can't blame ignorance, then the misrepresentation must be INTENTIONAL, and that's anti-Christian.

"Calvinist they just can't conceive a man can make a decision to do any one thing right."......that's pretty much a lie. Will you apologize Rockson?

.....or will you backpedal Rockson trying to cover up for that inaccurate remark???
Nope. When I've said in times past on these sites and others that men can do some things that are good and still not be saved they've told me it's not possible. Even something that might appear right they assert they probably had selfish motives or so they said. In other words a natural man can't do anything right or with a good motive. I've heard that all through the years by some so nope, no apology.

Yes, but have they actually read a book by a Calvinist professor. You know, somebody who actually went to seminary. I'm pretty sure professors do not wast time on forums like these.

Your not going to see John Piper or John MacArthur on here.

I can give you my explanation, but somebody with a degree would say it a lot better and more accurately.

The claim here today seems to be man has the ability to come to Christ on their own....perhaps some will call it "free-will".

But the problem is verses such as the following...

John 6:65...And he said, “This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless it is granted him by the Father.”

No one can come....not even Chalcedon, Rockson, kampioen, PeanutGallery....NO ONE.
The bottom line is you don't have the FREE-WILL to come to Christ unless God does something. You are depraved...with a fallen sin nature which is considered by theologians as Adams original sin.

Back