Rosetta Stone for learning Greek?

JohnnyDZ

I have been thinking about finally beginning to learn some Greek. I have some general knowledge, but would be a rank beginner starting with the alphabet.

I have kinda chosen to go with modern pronunciation rather than the academic "Erasmian" type. I already have some material and books by Bill Mounce and Wallace. But for pronunciation I was considering some of the Spiros Zodhiates material since he taught modern pronunciation.

Any comments or advice on this from those who have learned Greek?

I have been thinking about finally beginning to learn some Greek. I have some general knowledge, but would be a rank beginner starting with the alphabet.

I have kinda chosen to go with modern pronunciation rather than the academic "Erasmian" type. I already have some material and books by Bill Mounce and Wallace. But for pronunciation I was considering some of the Spiros Zodhiates material since he taught modern pronunciation.

Any comments or advice on this from those who have learned Greek?

My understanding is that modern Greek is not the same as Koine Greek.
Personally, I learned through Mounce's grammar, audio lectures, and workbook.
95% of the learning came from working through the workbook material, and learning from my (many) mistakes.
If you don't use his audio lectures, your choice of pronounciation shouldn't be a problem.

Personally, I learned through Mounce's grammar, audio lectures, and workbook.
Thanks Theo,

I do have Mounce's books and workbooks. However My situation is unique right now. I have a new job that requires a lot of travel. I have made use of some of this time by listening to a lot of audio-books. A lot of NT-Wright lately which has expanded my thinking in some areas.

I would be able to do a lot of listening and memorization using audio, but much less time doing bookwork. I also happen to have the popular New Testament audio and vocabulary audio "New Testament Greek Vocabulary" by Jonathan T. Pennington.

In addition I have Zodhiates New Testament audio, which of course would be different pronunciation.

Should I choose one or the other of pronunciations? Or should I stick with just one? If I mix them up I'm not sure what happens in my learning process ?

Back