Russell's Criticisms of Christianity & Jesus

Electric Skeptic

What do you expect us to do, in a thread that is titled: Russell's Criticisms of Christianity & Jesus.

Not to mention the fact that the thread is a foot high and takes up two full screens of text.

You want us to parse his critique and give a point-by-point refutation of about twenty comments he makes against our Father?
Yes. That's the purpose of the thread. If you don't want to do that, why would you even post to the thread?

Here ... I'll employ Occam's razor and simplify everything: Russell can take a hike.
Better not...Occam's razor doesn't make it look good for God.

cjab

Since they're "scarcely worth addressing" that would explain why all the Christians on this forum seem so scared of addressing them.
Too puerile, for all they really amount to can be stated in these terms: "I find it so cruel to think that the Christian God would condemn me to hell!"

cjab

If you think that then you've completely failed to understand them.
No I understand them really well. That's why there were 4 allegations of cruelty being alleged against Christians or the Christian God or Jesus, perhaps even more, in the initial summary by the OP. The thought that anyone could condemn Russell for his bohemian (i.e. promiscuous and hedonistic) lifestyle was anathema to him.

Electric Skeptic

No I understand them really well. That's why there were 4 allegations of cruelty being alleged against Christians or the Christian God or Jesus, perhaps even more, in the initial summary by the OP. The thought that anyone could condemn Russell for his bohemian (i.e. promiscuous and hedonistic) lifestyle was anathema to him.
No, you don't - that's obvious. And you (of course) provide zero evidence that Russell's position had anything to do with his lifestyle.

cjab

No, you don't - that's obvious. And you (of course) provide zero evidence that Russell's position had anything to do with his lifestyle.
Check out his lifestyle. He was a bohemian hedonist living in a still Christian country and associated with people whom he felt condemned him. And it was Christ himself who gave the real reasons for rejecting Christianity.

Hypatia_Alexandria

Jesus Christ is a Person.
No Jesus Christ is a theological construct.

Jesus of Nazareth was a person.
The OT does no such thing. Why not give chapter and verse to support your blasphemous lie about Jehovah having sex?
Do you accept that the texts that now form the Hebrew bible were revised and redacted after the Babylonian exile under what is generally known as the Documentary Hypothesis?

If you do not then I am not wasting my time

Electric Skeptic

Check out his lifestyle. He was a bohemian hedonist living in a still Christian country and associated with people whom he felt condemned him.
Which does not prove that the reason he rejected Christianity was because of his lifestyle.

And it was Christ himself who gave the real reasons for rejecting Christianity.
Well that assumes that Christianity is correct, which I do not believe.

Hypatia_Alexandria

And as I showed you: even academia considers them a "who."

Or can science take a hike? ;)
It was hardly unknown for the ancient world to perceive its deities in human form. El with his consort Athirat who is the mother of the gods is the chief god of the Ugaritic pantheon and Yahweh is just another of his divine children. A fragment of ancient poetry is found in the book of Deuteronomy and this not only locates Yahweh within a pantheon but also reveals exactly who his father was. This fragment describes the separation of humankind into distinct groups, [peoples or nations]and shows that each group/nation/people was given a specific deity to act as its special patron. However, the deity doing this sorting out is not Yahweh but Elyon - a title of El reflecting his role as the "Most High" god of the pantheon.

Deuteronomy 32.8-9

When Elyon [Most High] apportioned the nations,
when he divided mankind,
he fixed the boundaries of the peoples
according to the number of the divine sons;
for Yahweh's portion was his people,
Jacob [Israel] his allotted share

Due to later scribal emendations seeking to "correct" the clear polytheism in these ancient verses, this reading while reflected in the LXX and the Dead Sea Scrolls is often not found in some modern English Bible translations.

stiggy wiggy

It was hardly unknown for the ancient world to perceive its deities in human form. El with his consort Athirat who is the mother of the gods is the chief god of the Ugaritic pantheon and Yahweh is just another of his divine children. A fragment of ancient poetry is found in the book of Deuteronomy and this not only locates Yahweh within a pantheon but also reveals exactly who his father was. This fragment describes the separation of humankind into distinct groups, [peoples or nations]and shows that each group/nation/people was given a specific deity to act as its special patron. However, the deity doing this sorting out is not Yahweh but Elyon - a title of El reflecting his role as the "Most High" god of the pantheon.

Deuteronomy 32.8-9

when he divided mankind,

Due to later scribal emendations seeking to "correct" the clear polytheism in these ancient verses, this reading while reflected in the LXX and the Dead Sea Scrolls is often not found in some modern English Bible translations.

Yep, YWH created many elohim, many who rebelled against Him. I see you have failed to scripturally back up your lie about Him having sex.

Lucian

Deuteronomy 32.8-9

when he divided mankind,

It doesn’t seem usually to be printed in editions of the LXX, as far as I can tell.

As for deities and human form, does the book you’re reading about this comment on evidence outside of the Hebrew bible?

Last edited:

AV1611VET

Again -- you're making a case for God being a "who," not a "what."

And again, Wikipedia votes WHO.