Salvation vs. Redemption

Theo1689

Nevertheless, Gal 3:13 Christ redeemed us from the curse of the Law, having become a curse for us—for it is written, “CURSED IS EVERYONE WHO HANGS ON A TREE”—
This verse says nothing about saving. Not a word. It is about being redeemed. Do you have in your doctrine a definition for the Greek word or for the concept of being redeemed?

The poster above seems to be IMPLYING that "redemption" and "salvation" are different things. But as is his style, he REFUSES to actually explain the difference between them, but only to imply that they are different, and that anyone who disagrees with his (unstated) assumptions is necessarily "wrong", according to his view.

While I admit to never having done a formal word study, it has always been my understanding that redemption is a part of salvation, and that redemption is the MEANS by which God saves sinners.

Here are just a few passages I came across on this topic:

Col. 1:14 in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.
Luke 1:77 to give knowledge of salvation to his people
in the forgiveness of their sins,

Looks like they're talking about the same thing, does it not?

Rom. 3:24 and are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus,

We are justified because of being redeemed. Yet Scripture tells us:

Rom. 5:9 Since, therefore, we have now been justified by his blood, much more shall we be saved by him from the wrath of God.

This looks like it teaches a 100% correlation between "justified" and "saved", which means that there is a 100% correlation between "redeemed" and "saved".

1Cor. 1:30 And because of him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption,

Isn't this teaching that "righteousness" and "sanctification" and "redemption" are all components of salvation?

Gal. 4:5 to redeem those who were under the law, so that we might receive adoption as sons.

Redemption leads to sonship.
Can we be sons without being saved?

Eph. 4:30 And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.

We were sealed for "the day of redemption".
Isn't this when we are resurrected into our glorified bodies (Rom. 8:23)?
(Enquiring minds want to know...)

Eph. 1:13 In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit,

Being "sealed" with whom we were "sealed", is associated with BOTH redemption (Eph. 4:30) and salvation (Eph. 1:13). Are they different sealings of different Spirits, or the same?

This poster has me on "ignore", so he likely won't even see this thread. It's a shame, since it might be useful for him to answer these questions. In particular, I would like to know what he thinks a Venn diagram of "Redemption" and "Salvation" would look like. Can one be saved without being redeemed? Can one be redeemed but never saved? The thought boggles the mind.

It seems to me that some people are making a "distinction without a difference". Arminians want to believe Christ died for EVERY SINGLE INDIVIDUAL (giving everyone "opportunity"), but since not all are saved, there must necessarily be some sort of difference between "redemption" and "salvation", by which many claim that Christ died for ALL sins except for the sin of unbelief, which is unBiblical on its face.

Septextura

Or we can just Google what redemption means.

redemption
/rɪˈdɛm(p)ʃ(ə)n/
noun
1. the action of saving or being saved from sin, error, or evil.
"God's plans for the redemption of his world"

redemption (n.)
mid-14c., "deliverance from sin," from Old French redemcion (12c.) and directly from Latin redemptionem (nominative redemptio) "a buying back, releasing, ransoming"

Redeemed

I found this:

Eschatological Uses
The New Testament presents a “now but not yet” tension to redemption. Christians have been redeemed from sin, but there still remains the final consummation of their salvation; that is, there is also an eschatological dimension. In Luke’s Gospel, Jesus teaches that cosmic signs will point to His second coming, along with the coming of redemption (Luke 21:28).

Apostle Paul also looked to a final future redemptive event. Believers have been “sealed with the Holy Spirit” for the “day of redemption” (Eph 4:30). The Holy Spirit functions as guarantee for the day when believers will receive their full inheritance (Eph 1:13–14). This final redemption also applies to creation in general, when it will be “set free” from its bondage to decay (Rom 8:21). This will take place at the same time as “the redemption of our bodies” (Rom 8:23), the “revealing of the sons of God” (Rom 8:19). It will be a deliverance for all of creation (compare Wright, Mission of God, 51).

Lexham Bible Dictionary

Sethproton

Or we can just Google what redemption means.

redemption
/rɪˈdɛm(p)ʃ(ə)n/
noun
1. the action of saving or being saved from sin, error, or evil.
"God's plans for the redemption of his world"

redemption (n.)
mid-14c., "deliverance from sin," from Old French redemcion (12c.) and directly from Latin redemptionem (nominative redemptio) "a buying back, releasing, ransoming"
I know that redemption as an English word has a variety of uses. But if we stick to Biblical usage, redeemed has to do with buying someone out of slavery. Christ did that on the cross. But Biblically redemption and salvation do have different meanings. Of course at times they become interchangeable, but the primary meaning of redemption is about purchasing a slave. What happens after that can lead to salvation. Salvation is to rescue from danger. For a Christian that means to keep out of hell.

Septextura

I know that redemption as an English word has a variety of uses. But if we stick to Biblical usage, redeemed has to do with buying someone out of slavery. Christ did that on the cross. But Biblically redemption and salvation do have different meanings. Of course at times they become interchangeable, but the primary meaning of redemption is about purchasing a slave. What happens after that can lead to salvation. Salvation is to rescue from danger. For a Christian that means to keep out of hell.

I see. You're saying Christ redeemed everyone but will only save the profitable slaves?

brightfame52

I found this:

Eschatological Uses
The New Testament presents a “now but not yet” tension to redemption. Christians have been redeemed from sin, but there still remains the final consummation of their salvation; that is, there is also an eschatological dimension. In Luke’s Gospel, Jesus teaches that cosmic signs will point to His second coming, along with the coming of redemption (Luke 21:28).

Apostle Paul also looked to a final future redemptive event. Believers have been “sealed with the Holy Spirit” for the “day of redemption” (Eph 4:30). The Holy Spirit functions as guarantee for the day when believers will receive their full inheritance (Eph 1:13–14). This final redemption also applies to creation in general, when it will be “set free” from its bondage to decay (Rom 8:21). This will take place at the same time as “the redemption of our bodies” (Rom 8:23), the “revealing of the sons of God” (Rom 8:19). It will be a deliverance for all of creation (compare Wright, Mission of God, 51).

Lexham Bible Dictionary
Salvation also has a future aspect Rom 13:11

And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed.

1 Pet 1:5

Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.