sandwiches from around the world

balshan

It is interesting all countries have various forms of sandwiches - fresh, toasted, jaffles, melts, paninis etc. I enjoy the Reubens sandwich (of course that is not around the world for Americans) but for me it was exotic and delicious and used a meat I enjoy. Bonnie gave me a recipe for a Reubens casserole which was yum. I do enjoy a simple ham sandwich. I find finger sandwiches for afternoon teas very tasty.

Do you have a favourite sandwich and where does it come from?

It is interesting all countries have various forms of sandwiches - fresh, toasted, jaffles, melts, paninis etc. I enjoy the Reubens sandwich (of course that is not around the world for Americans) but for me it was exotic and delicious and used a meat I enjoy. Bonnie gave me a recipe for a Reubens casserole which was yum. I do enjoy a simple ham sandwich. I find finger sandwiches for afternoon teas very tasty.

Do you have a favourite sandwich and where does it come from?
I just remember another one that is tasty it is the Vietnamese Roll Bahn Mi

My daughter made a ground lamb sandwich in pita bread when she was in high school. I really liked it but can't remember the ingredients.

My daughter made a ground lamb sandwich in pita bread when she was in high school. I really liked it but can't remember the ingredients.
I wonder if it was lamb made into a kofta. That is tasty but Bonnie wouldn't like it.

They can be flavoured in different ways and are very yummy. This is an extremely easy recipe, only 4 ingredients they use beef mince but it could be lamb:

I can't eat anything spicy and don't care for Tabouli. I only remember that the ground lamb was loose and not shaped into patties.

Yes, but I don't remember any sauce. I'm going to email my daughter; she might remember the ingredients. It came off aninternational recipe calendar.

Has any one ever tried Welsh rarebit? I have always wondered what it tastes like but have never tried because I hate food wastage and I don't like the taste of beer. Does the beer taste overwhelm it or does it go away in the cooking process?

Try it. You probably won't taste the beer. I have used beer in recipes and don't taste it. I don't use alcohol often; don't want it in my house, will only use it if the alcohol content has been cooked away, etc. I have tasted beer in a glass and don't like it and don't want to like it. Anyway, I have a couple of times used beer in cooking and the taste is gone.

My favorite recipe using alcohol is Beef Burgundyy over egg noodles.

YAY!

I found this and it sounded good:

Then I went to my email and my daughter had just answered me:

From Lebanon ----

1 med. onion
2 med. tomatoes
2 T. butter
1 lb. ground lamb
1 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
2 T. chopped dill or parsley
1 pita bread
lettuce leaves

Note: T = tablespoon
t = teaspoon

In most recipes I use less onion than called for.

SANDWICH

The Fourth Earl of Sandwich who lived in the eighteenth century was the first person in the Western world to put meat or cheese between two slices of bread. In this way he could keep his hands grease and fork free while he played cards.

Sorry --- I need some sleep.

Directions for Lebanese sandwiches:

Melt butter in frying pan. Saute onion for five minutes. Add meat, diced tomatoes, salt, pepper, dill or parsley. Stir until all the meat browns. Use slotted spoon to remove from pan to a pletter or serving bowl. Put lettuce in pita halves, then add meat.

YAY!

I found this and it sounded good:

Then I went to my email and my daughter had just answered me:

From Lebanon ----

1 med. onion
2 med. tomatoes
2 T. butter
1 lb. ground lamb
1 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
2 T. chopped dill or parsley
1 pita bread
lettuce leaves

Note: T = tablespoon
t = teaspoon

In most recipes I use less onion than called for.
Sounds yummy. Thank your daughter for me.

I just remember another one that is tasty it is the Vietnamese Roll Bahn Mi
You just stole my thunder :) I love bahn mi...

To be honest, I don't have a good sense of which sandwiches are associated with which geography. There are a few I know, like an oyster po boy, or bahn mi, or falafel - but without Googling the subject, I couldn't really identify any others.

You just stole my thunder :) I love bahn mi...

To be honest, I don't have a good sense of which sandwiches are associated with which geography. There are a few I know, like an oyster po boy, or bahn mi, or falafel - but without Googling the subject, I couldn't really identify any others.
I am more aware of Asian foods because we are surrounded by Asian restaurants, takeaway and sit down. Certain areas are stocked with Asian grocery stores and kitchen supply shops. I love it, it is like going to another country.

The oyster po boy is something I would avoid I dislike oysters.

I am more aware of Asian foods because we are surrounded by Asian restaurants, takeaway and sit down. Certain areas are stocked with Asian grocery stores and kitchen supply shops. I love it, it is like going to another country.
Same here (re. Asian grocery stores). For me, it's a bit like going to a toy store when I was a little kid: so many brightly colored packages on the shelves. I was often not sure what they contained, but I knew I wanted them :)

The oyster po boy is something I would avoid I dislike oysters.
I used to dislike clams, but that changed. I figure a fried oyster must be somewhat similar to a fried clam, so I'm definitely willing to try one. I've only had a few oysters on the half shell...

Back