Saved by--what???

dberrie2020

Why do you refuse to answer my simple questions? Especially when I have answered your questions time without number and dealt with all of your points and Bible verses?

Now, when are you going to give me the CORRECT answers to these questions?

1.In Luke 7:50, what did Jesus say ACTUALLY SAVED the woman? The exact word He used?
"Jesus said to her, 'Your FAITH has saved you; go in peace."

I have a couple of questions for Lutherans:

1) Do Lutherans believe one is saved by faith--or by God's grace?

2) If we are going to claim particular "saved" verses--then how do the Lutherans collate their theology to the rest of the Biblical witness--concerning "saved"?

1 Peter 3:20-21---King James Version (KJV)
20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.
21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:

1 Timothy 4:16--King James Version (KJV)
16 Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee.

1 Corinthians 9:22---King James Version (KJV)
22 To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.

1 Corinthians 7:16---King James Version (KJV)

16 For what knowest thou, O wife, whether thou shalt save thy husband? or how knowest thou, O man, whether thou shalt save thy wife?

Romans 11:14--King James Version (KJV)

14 If by any means I may provoke to emulation them which are my flesh, and might save some of them.

1 Timothy 2:15---King James Version (KJV)

15 Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.

Mark 16:16---King James Version (KJV)
16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

Bonnie

Ever hear of "context"--that old bugaboo of your church? Concerning the verses you quoted?

Where does the Bible say we are NOT saved by faith in Jesus Christ? What does "believe in" mean? As in "For God so loved the world that He gave His One and only Son, that whosoever BELIEVES IN HIM will have eternal life"?

Last edited:

dberrie2020

Ever hear of "context"--that old bugaboo of your church? Concerning the verses you quoted?
LOL!!! Bonnie--every scripture which violates Lutheran theology is "out of context":

Romans 6:16---King James Version
16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?

Please feel free to explain how the above scriptures are "out of context".

Where does the Bible say we are NOT saved by faith in Jesus Christ?

Where does it state we are not saved by any of the "saved" scriptures?

20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.
21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:

16 Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee.

22 To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.

16 For what knowest thou, O wife, whether thou shalt save thy husband? or how knowest thou, O man, whether thou shalt save thy wife?

14 If by any means I may provoke to emulation them which are my flesh, and might save some of them.

15 Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.

16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

Ephesians 2:8---King James Version

8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

dberrie2020

What does "believe in" mean? As in "For God so loved the world that He gave His One and only Son, that whosoever BELIEVES IN HIM will have eternal life"?

What is your evidence those who keep His commandments aren't the ones who believe in Christ?

John 14:21---King James Version
21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

Tell us, Bonnie--is the love of God necessary for eternal life to occur?

John 14:15---King James Version
15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

Could you tell us what the two great commandments are--and how they relate to belief in Christ?

Bonnie

LOL!!! Bonnie--every scripture which violates Lutheran theology is "out of context":

16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?

8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

"Your FAITH has saved you; go in peace." Luke 7:50. What did Jesus actually tell the woman saved her?

"For God so loved the world that He gave His One and only Son, that whoever believes in Him will not perish, but have eternal life."

What does "believe in" mean, dberrie? What did Jesus say actually saved the woman in Luke 7:50?

Bonnie

Where does any of these verses state that we are NOT saved by faith in Jesus Christ?

"Your FAITH has saved you; go in peace." (Luke 7:50) What did Jesus tell the woman actually saved her? What word did He actually use?

Bonnie

What is your evidence those who keep His commandments aren't the ones who believe in Christ?

21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

Tell us, Bonnie--is the love of God necessary for eternal life to occur?

John 14:15---King James Version
15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

Could you tell us what the two great commandments are--and how they relate to belief in Christ?
Where did I write that those who keep the commandments are not the ones who believe in Christ? Where did I actually write that?

dberrie2020

"Your FAITH has saved you; go in peace." Luke 7:50. What did Jesus actually tell the woman saved her?
Her faith.

So--what did these scriptures testify saves one here?

How are you claiming Luke7:50 precludes any of those testimonies?

Bonnie--what is your evidence all those verses--and any others--are integral to faith in Christ? Belief in Him?

That's where the problem enters in, for the Lutherans, IMO--when they attempt to collate the faith and belief verses with the acts of obedience God requires to obtain His grace unto life--as a personal reception.

That's where Lutheran theology fails--in their attempt to separate out keeping God's commands--with His grace unto life--and insert "faith" or "belief" verses to exclude any such requirements of keeping His commandments--to receive of His grace unto life.

"For God so loved the world that He gave His One and only Son, that whoever believes in Him will not perish, but have eternal life."

What does "believe in" mean, dberrie? What did Jesus say actually saved the woman in Luke 7:50?
How are you attempting to use "belief" verses to exclude the connection of keeping the commandments--with His grace unto life?

That's what I would like to hear from the Lutherans--how do they feel belief disconnects the connection between acts of obedience to God--and His grace unto life?

Romans 6:16-22---King James Version
17 But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.
18 Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.
19 I speak after the manner of men because of the infirmity of your flesh: for as ye have yielded your members servants to uncleanness and to iniquity unto iniquity; even so now yield your members servants to righteousness unto holiness.
20 For when ye were the servants of sin, ye were free from righteousness.
21 What fruit had ye then in those things whereof ye are now ashamed? for the end of those things is death.
22 But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life.

dberrie2020

Where did I write that those who keep the commandments are not the ones who believe in Christ? Where did I actually write that?
Then could you please explain for us why to continue to pit "faith" and "belief" verses against scriptures which comport keeping His commandments with eternal life?

Whenever I post those scriptures--your comeback is Luke7:50, or John3:16, etc.

Why? Why not just agree with the testimony which connects His grace with our following Christ?

Matthew 19:16-19---King James Version
16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?
17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

BJ Bear

Then could you please explain for us why to continue to pit "faith" and "belief" verses against scriptures which comport keeping His commandments with eternal life?

Why? Why not just agree with the testimony which connects His grace with our following Christ?

16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?
17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
They are not pitted one against the other because they atre of different contexts. For this reason Paul can write that no flesh will be justified by works of law and that he is blameless according to the law, as one example.

Bonnie

I am not pitting faith and belief against the other verses...but putting them in proper perspective AND CONTEXT--that ,old, bugaboo of cults, isn't it?

But then, why do YOU pit all of the verses about obeying the commandments to be saved against all of the verses that say we are saved by grace/ faith in Christ Jesus and NOT by works? -and obeying commandments IS a work we do, is it not, dberrie?

Double standard much?

Now , in Luke 7:50, what did Jesus say actually SAVED the woman? What was the exact word He used, dberrie? When will you gird your loins and give us a correct and honest answer?

"Your FAITH has saved you; go in peace."

What word did Jesus use? Why not agree with what Jesus actually told the woman?

BJ Bear

I am not pitting faith and belief against the other verses...but putting them in proper perspective AND CONTEXT--that ,old, bugaboo of cults, isn't it?

But then, why do YOU pit all of the verses about obeying the commandments to be saved against all of the verses that say we are saved by grace/ faith in Christ Jesus and NOT by works? -and obeying commandments IS a work we do, is it not, dberrie?

Double standard much?

Now , in Luke 7:50, what did Jesus say actually SAVED the woman? What was the exact word He used, dberrie? When will you gird your loins and give us a correct and honest answer?

"Your FAITH has saved you; go in peace."

What word did Jesus use? Why not agree with what Jesus actually told the woman?
Yes, context, context, context. A quick glance at John 5 shows judgement/condemnation used at least three times. The one who believes has everlasting life and won't come into judgement, judgement belongs to Jesus, people come into judgement according to their works, and the judgement of Jesus is just.

dberrie2020

They are not pitted one against the other because they atre of different contexts. For this reason Paul can write that no flesh will be justified by works of law ....

No one is advocating the Mosaic Law.

Keeping the commandments was a part of the new covenant--and the gospel:

1 John 2:3-4---King James Version
3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

That is connecting keeping the commandments with knowing God:

John 17:3---King James Version
3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

dberrie2020

The bugaboo of scriptures which do not fit Lutheran theology:

1Thess521

4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.
"At what point in a person's earthly life are they justified (declared righteous) by God"

Romans 4
2 If, in fact, Abraham was justified by works, he had something to boast about—but not before God. 3 What does Scripture say? “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness.”

4 Now to the one who works, wages are not credited as a gift but as an obligation. 5 However, to the one who does not work but trusts God who justifies the ungodly, their faith is credited as righteousness. 6 David says the same thing when he speaks of the blessedness of the one to whom God credits righteousness apart from works:

9...We have been saying that Abraham’s faith was credited to him as righteousness. 10 Under what circumstances was it credited? Was it after he was circumcised, or before? It was not after, but before!

23 The words “it was credited to him” were written not for him alone, 24 but also for us, to whom God will credit righteousness—for us who believe in him who raised Jesus our Lord from the dead.

BJ Bear

I wrote works of law not Mosaic law.

dberrie2020

"At what point in a person's earthly life are they justified (declared righteous) by God"

In His Atonement:

Romans 5:18---King James Version
18 Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.

Romans 4
2 If, in fact, Abraham was justified by works, he had something to boast about—but not before God. 3 What does Scripture say? “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness.”

Abraham didn't live under the law of works(Mosaic Law)--he lived under the gospel.

So--was this Abraham's faith?

Genesis 26:4-5---King James Version
4 And I will make thy seed to multiply as the stars of heaven, and will give unto thy seed all these countries; and in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed;
5 Because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws.

4 Now to the one who works, wages are not credited as a gift but as an obligation. 5 However, to the one who does not work but trusts God who justifies the ungodly, their faith is credited as righteousness. 6 David says the same thing when he speaks of the blessedness of the one to whom God credits righteousness apart from works:

9...We have been saying that Abraham’s faith was credited to him as righteousness. 10 Under what circumstances was it credited? Was it after he was circumcised, or before? It was not after, but before!

23 The words “it was credited to him” were written not for him alone, 24 but also for us, to whom God will credit righteousness—for us who believe in him who raised Jesus our Lord from the dead.

When Paul used the term "works"--he was usually referring to certain rituals found in the Mosaic Law--not acts of obedience to Jesus Christ:

1 Corinthians 7:19--King James Version
19 Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but the keeping of the commandments of God.

So--could you explain how you abut your interpretation of Paul--to his testimony just two chapters earlier?

Romans 2:5-11---King James Version
5 But after thy hardness and impenitent heart treasurest up unto thyself wrath against the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God;
6 Who will render to every man according to his deeds:
7 To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life:
8 But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath,
9 Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile;
10 But glory, honour, and peace, to every man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile:
11 For there is no respect of persons with God.

Care to explain that?

1Thess521

In His Atonement:

18 Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.

Abraham didn't live under the law of works(Mosaic Law)--he lived under the gospel.

So--was this Abraham's faith?

Genesis 26:4-5---King James Version
4 And I will make thy seed to multiply as the stars of heaven, and will give unto thy seed all these countries; and in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed;
5 Because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws.

When Paul used the term "works"--he was usually referring to certain rituals found in the Mosaic Law--not acts of obedience to Jesus Christ:

1 Corinthians 7:19--King James Version
19 Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but the keeping of the commandments of God.

So--could you explain how you abut your interpretation of Paul--to his testimony just two chapters earlier?

Romans 2:5-11---King James Version
5 But after thy hardness and impenitent heart treasurest up unto thyself wrath against the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God;
6 Who will render to every man according to his deeds:
7 To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life:
8 But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath,
9 Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile;
10 But glory, honour, and peace, to every man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile:
11 For there is no respect of persons with God.

Care to explain that?
super EASY to explain
follow along

Paul is building the logical case that everyone knows what they should do:
If they do what they know is right: they will be saved.
no one does

Romans 2:13 is 100% true
13 For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God’s sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous.

the issue is that no one has!! NONE, ZERO, Zilch

Romans 3
10 There is no one righteous, not even one;

20 Therefore no one will be declared righteous in God’s sight by the works of the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of our sin.

23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,

28 For we maintain that a person is justified by faith apart from the works of the law

30 since there is only one God, who will justify the circumcised by faith and the uncircumcised through that same faith

now follow Paul's logic into chapter 4

lets see if by the end of 2021 will you address those verses

Last edited:

dberrie2020

So : is everyone declared righteous by God?

All are declared to have "justification of life"--due to the Atonement and resurrection of Jesus Christ.(death and hell conquered, as to the Fall)

IOW--all men have been absolved from the condemnation of the Fall(justified)--and are now born saved. We then answer for our own choices--when we become accountable before God.

After we become accountable--we are judged according to our own choices:

Matthew 16:27---King James Version
27 For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works.

Those who walk in the light--receive of His Blood unto the remission of sins:(justified, as to our personal sins)

1 John 1:7---King James Version
7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.