Saving faith in Lutheran theology

BJ Bear

Are you having difficulty understanding what Jesus said?

Or is the problem accepting what he said?
Your interpretation is not what it says. It is as simple as that. Otherwise, you would be able to prove your point from the text itself.

The problem your misinterpretation is up against is that you, like everyone else who is not God incarnate, don't do what He says according to Scripture. That means you, like everyone else who is not God incarnate, are out according to your works.

The forgiveness of sins is only in Him through faith alone.

Last edited:

Our Lord's God

For example, post 92.

Well you certainly are being evasive. Here is what I said in Post #92. Do tell what is wrong with what I said.

"We do the will of the Father to be saved on the last day. No one but those who do the will of the Father will be enter the Kingdom of God. "Why do you call me "Lord, Lord" and not do what I say?"

BJ Bear

You've been told numerous times by multiple posters. Read the first sentence of what you quoted. To use your words, do you not understand the words?
Well you certainly are being evasive. Here is what I said in Post #92. Do tell what is wrong with what I said.

"We do the will of the Father to be saved on the last day. No one but those who do the will of the Father will be enter the Kingdom of God. "Why do you call me "Lord, Lord" and not do what I say?"

Manfred

1 John 1:7---King James Version
7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

How do you explain that?
3 For God achieved what the law could not do because it was weakened through the flesh. By sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and concerning sin, he condemned sin in the flesh, 4 so that the righteous requirement of the law may be fulfilled in us, who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.

Bonnie

So--is walking in the light--integral to belief in God?

1 John 1:7---King James Version
7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

Is the Love of God--integral to belief in God?

John 14:15---King James Version
15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.
Walking in the Light is the RESULT of believing in Jesus Christ for salvation, great and free.

HillsboroMom

You seem to be suggesting that Jesus nullified everything else he said. Yes, that is what you are trying to do isn't it?
On the contrary. You seem to be suggesting that PAUL, in one verse of one letter, nullified everything Jesus said, everything the Prophets said, and everything Paul and all the apostles said everywhere else in the Bible.

Yes, that is what you are trying to do, isn't it?

BJ Bear

I see. You have nothing but a feeble attempt to distract from the facts.
To use your words, "Well, you are certainly being evasive." Is that
a consequence of resting on a misinterpretation and having no scriptural facts to make your case?

Again, this really simple because words have meaning. For example, the Savior saves. Grace excludes works, Romans 4:4, etc.

The Apostle explicitly connected the dots in this regard in 1 Thessalonians 5.

"1 Thessalonians 5:9-18 For God did not appoint us to wrath, but to the obtaining of salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ, who died for us, in order that whether we are awake or asleep, we may live together with Him. Therefore comfort each other and edify one another, just as you also are doing. And we request of you, brothers, to recognize those who labor among you, and are over you in the Lord and instruct you, and to regard them beyond all measure in love, because of their work. Be at peace among yourselves. Now we exhort you, brothers, admonish the disorderly, encourage the discouraged, be supportive of the weak, be patient toward all. See that no one pays back evil for evil to anyone, but always pursue that which is good, both for one another and for all. Rejoice always! Pray without ceasing! In everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you." -EMTV

Bonnie

On the contrary. You seem to be suggesting that PAUL, in one verse of one letter, nullified everything Jesus said, everything the Prophets said, and everything Paul and all the apostles said everywhere else in the Bible.

Yes, that is what you are trying to do, isn't it?
This is what happens when people focus on one or two verses, but exclude others that are equally valid. One needs to take ALL of Scripture and not just bits and pieces.

The bible makes it clear we are saved by grace through faith in Christ Jesus our Lord and NOT by any works we do. The first sin was one of pride, wanting to be like God, or worse, BE gods. Salvation then isn't based upon anything we can do, for we are helpless to save ourselves, lost and condemned creatures, without the cross of Christ. We have NO reason to boast whatsoever about anything in our salvation--except in Jesus Christ. Salvation is the "gift of God" that we can only receive by humbly accepting it, by recognizing that we are completely unable to save ourselves. We plead "Lord, save us!"--and He does. :)

Bonnie

You seem to be suggesting that Jesus nullified everything else he said. Yes, that is what you are trying to do isn't it?
No it isn't. What we are doing is taking all of Scripture into consideration and not bits and pieces.

Here is one terrific sermon that shows why our works don't save us and why we need to rely wholly on Jesus Christ for salvation, great and free. It's called "Don't jump!"

Reformation – “Don’t Jump!” – Romans 3:19-28 – 10/27/19 | Lutheran Church of the Resurrection (lcrwtvl.org)

Our Lord's God

Bonnie

I see. You won't believe Jesus and choose rather the doctrines of men.
Sorry, but I do believe Jesus, and will do so, over what YOU peach on here. And didn't Jesus say "For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whosoever BELIEVES in Him will not perish, but have eternal life"?

Did you even read the sermon?

Last edited: