Science and Faith in Dialogue

The scriptures state that a person is saved by grace (unmerited gift) through faith and that even that faith is a gift from God (Ephesian 2:8). In order to receive a gift a person must be willing to accept it instead of rejecting it. That is essentially what atheists are doing which is rejecting God's free gift that God offers freely to all of mankind which includes forgiveness from past sins and a continual cleansing (1 John 1:7).
What does any of that have to do with blind faith leading to the acceptance of all sorts of wild, even contradictory claims? How does any of that erase that problem?

I use Project Steve to substantiate my claim that over 99% of biologists accept evolution. There are more people called Steve (and derivatives) who are biologists and who accept evolution, and signed the list, than there are persons of any name who are scientists in the loosest sense (dentists, engineers, etc.) who have signed the DI's dissent from Darwinism. About 1% of the population is c called Steve.

So again, where you you get your figures from? Right now it looks like you plucked them out of your backside.
Project steve is very weak. A list of Steves that support evolution. What statistical basis is that built on? I simply, performed a google search with, "number of scientist that support evolution" which will give my numbers. Also, try this link, "Scientists Who Do Not Believe in Darwinian Evolution", and this one, "3000 Darwin Skeptics" which includes about a dozen Nobel prize winners.
Sure, Behe got it wrong. We credit the guys that get it right.

Behe is still flogging his dead horse.

We see IC in the sense that there are systems that fail if a component is removed. But we know that that is not an obstacle to evolution as there is good evidence of indirect routes.
Sorry, too much neener-neener.
And he chops and changes as is convenient.

Definition 1: A system is IC if it fails if a component is removed.

Definition 2: A system is IC if there is no evolutionary route, direct or not, to it.

We see systems that fail if a component is removed, and they are IC, by definition 1. Then we quietly swap to definition 2. If the system is IC then it cannot have evolved.
Both good working expression of IC's. You might also be confounded by the different expression of the Second law of thermodynamics:

"In an isolated system the entropy always increases"

Another version:

"Not all energy can be converted into work in a cyclic process."
and
"Heat always flows from hot to cold."

They are all the same law but with different expressions. The same goes for Behe's expressions for IC.

Which says nothing at all about indirect evolutionary routes.
My guess is that indirect routes still require experimental validation while IC's are currently observed which means they are the superior evidence. The mere fact that the Neo-darwinist community came up with theoretical indirect paths validates the IC concept. They were perfectly content with the direct version until Behe threw a wrench in their perfect world and now they are in the predicament where they have to keep patching their theory in order to keep up with the observational evidence.
Give me ten examples of scientists who got kicked out of their positions for taking a stand on ID.
There are many but I will give you two to see how you handle it. Link

Last edited:
The book looks like a good read.

I just finished a book by Hugh Ross entitled "Designed to the Core".

His book contains sixteen chapters with an appendix called - "Solar Elemental Abundance - Rocky Planet Configuration Link"

The book begins with large-scale cosmic structures including our own Laniakea Supercluster of galaxies and continues to progress to our milky way galaxy, and through our solar system including its planetary migration and the moon acting as an orbital stabilizer. He then continues with a detailed discussion about Earth's interior beginning with its core.

Solid references throughout

A sample from chapter 7, "The Milky Way Galaxy Interior", page 101:

"Astronomers would say our galaxy has aged well, thanks in part to its mass and to the small fraction of its mass attributable to stars. For any star within a galaxy to contain enough carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, phosphorous, iron, thorium, and uranium to make the existence of advanced life possible within its planetary system, at least two generations of stars must form, burn, and explode to enrich the gas clouds that form the next generation of stars.

Galaxies more massive than the MWG form stars early and aggressively, quickly exhausting their gas supply. Consequently, star formation ends before an adequate supply of the life-essential elements can be built up. Advanced life also needs elements as heavy as uranium and thorium. Only if uranium and thorium are extraordinarily abundant on a planet can both plate tectonics and a protective magnetosphere be sustained for a long time.

Galaxies less massive than the MWG form their stars so late and at such a slow rate that not enough of the heavier elements, such as iron, copper, zinc, thorium, and uranium, are manufactured. Only in a galaxy like the MWG does star formation begin soon enough and last long enough to produce all the elements essential for advanced life. "

________:coffee:

They seems like a more detailed version of, "The Privileged Planet" by Guillermo Gonzalez while I also have yet to read (but I did see the video version) and will also keep your book on my back burner. Thanks

Project steve is very weak.
And yet better than you can produce.

A list of Steves that support evolution. What statistical basis is that built on? I simply, performed a google search with, "number of scientist that support evolution" which will give my numbers.
Ah, which comes from a Wiki page - you think that is reliable? interesting. That in turn comes from a Pew Research survey, which, as far as I can see, is based purely on scientists in the US, where a rejection of evolution is unusually high.

Also, try this link, "Scientists Who Do Not Believe in Darwinian Evolution", and this one, "3000 Darwin Skeptics" which includes about a dozen Nobel prize winners.
According to here there are 8.8 million scientists in the world.

Your 3000 is 0.03% of that.

Both good working expression of IC's. You might also be confounded by the different expression of the Second law of thermodynamics:
But when IDists slip and slide between the two without making that clear, that is just plain deceit.

"In an isolated system the entropy always increases"
Another version:
"Not all energy can be converted into work in a cyclic process."
and
"Heat always flows from hot to cold."
Can you show me how scientists change between definitions to fool the public? No. Because they are all talking about the same fundamental thing.

I can do that with the different versions of IC, because different systems will be IC depending on the definition. They are not merely differenmt ways of looking at the same thing, they are two distinct concepts that IDists deliberate conflate to fool the ignorant.

They are all the same law but with different expressions. The same goes for Behe's expressions for IC.
Wrong. The different "expressions" for IC cover different categories of systems.

The bacterial flagellum is a perfect example. It is IC under one definition, but not under the other.

My guess is that indirect routes still require experimental validation while IC's are currently observed which means they are the superior evidence.
If an IDists wants to claim there are no indirect routes, it is incumbent on him to prove that.

The evolutionist merely has to point out that there could be to destroy IC.

well, the second definition, anyway. the first definition is entirely different of course.

The mere fact that the Neo-darwinist community came up with theoretical indirect paths validates the IC concept. They were perfectly content with the direct version until Behe threw a wrench in their perfect world and now they are in the predicament where they have to keep patching their theory in order to keep up with the observational evidence.
If you think that validates Behe's claims, you are well mistaken!

There are many but I will give you two to see how you handle it. Link
I am seeing Richard Sternberg and Guillermo Gonzalez. Sternberg got caught playing loose and fast with the peer review process of a journal. He had already resigned the post and was working out his notice. So what are you claiming here?

Gonzalez was denied tenure due to a lack of research. He played the victim because he is an IDist, and playing the victim pays so well. Tenure is not a right, it is not automatic.

Is this the best you have? You said "example after example of scientists as well as lay persons getting kicked out of their positions for taking a stand on ID". I do not think either of them got kicked out of their position.

If an IDists wants to claim there are no indirect routes, it is incumbent on him to prove that.

The evolutionist merely has to point out that there could be to destroy IC.

well, the second definition, anyway. the first definition is entirely different of course.
It has never been the case where the proponent of a particular view that has been shown to be true are required to provide evidence for any challenging suggestions that could be true. Rather the opposite is the case, the parties making the suggestion are required to provide their own evidence. IC have been shown to be true because its mere presentation has caused the Darwinist community to go into a frenzy in looking for an alternative. In doing so they have removed Darwin's initial criteria for falsification of evolution and replaced it with the new, "any observation that evolution can't explain, we'll simply suggest a way around that observation so that evolution is always true." The latter is certainly the case, when no evidence is required.

Last edited:
Wrong. The different "expressions" for IC cover different categories of systems.

The bacterial flagellum is a perfect example. It is IC under one definition, but not under the other.
Both definitions cover the bacterial flagellum. Removing any part will disable the motor and it can't be reached by any evolutionary path.

It has never been the case where the proponent of a particular view that has been shown to be true are required to provide evidence for any challenging suggestions that could be true.
In real science there are no claims about what could NOT happen. We are outside real science already with IC.

IDists claim the bacterial flagellum could not evolve. The onus is on them to support that claim. If they claim it cannot have evolved by an indirect route, they need to show that.

And of course they cannot.

Rather the opposite is the case, the parties making the suggestion are required to provide their own evidence. IC have been shown to be true because its mere presentation has caused the Darwinist community to go into a frenzy in looking for an alternative. In doing so they have removed Darwin's initial criteria for falsification of evolution and replaced it with the new, "any observation that evolution can't explain, we'll simply suggest a way around that observation so that evolution is always true." The latter is certainly the case, when no evidence is required.
It is ludicrous to claim IC is true on the basis that it has been soundly refuted! I cannot believe IDists are so desperate they feel they have to do this.

Both definitions cover the bacterial flagellum. Removing any part will disable the motor and it can't be reached by any evolutionary path.
That is a strong claim. The onus is on you (IDists) to prove it, not on evolutionists to refute it.

That said...

What’s more, of these 23 proteins, it turns out that just two are unique to flagella. The others all closely resemble proteins that carry out other functions in the cell. This means that the vast majority of the components needed to make a flagellum might already have been present in bacteria before this structure appeared.
It has also been shown that some of the components that make up a typical flagellum – the motor, the machinery for extruding the “propeller” and a primitive directional control system – can perform other useful functions in the cell, such as exporting proteins.
“However, this was likely not a one-time event,” they said. “The extra structures appear to have evolved many times in different species of bacteria, using different building blocks but producing the same functionality.”
“Bacterial motors are complex machines, but with studies like this we can see how they have evolved in distinct steps,” Dr. Beeby added.

In real science there are no claims about what could NOT happen. We are outside real science already with IC.

IDists claim the bacterial flagellum could not evolve. The onus is on them to support that claim. If they claim it cannot have evolved by an indirect route, they need to show that.

And of course they cannot.
First off, you asking ID to show that something could not have happened which is proving a negative and is a logical impossibility. Secondly, you are forgetting the order of events. Darwin's claim was, “If it could be demonstrated that any complex organ existed which could not possibly have been formed by numerous, successive, slight modifications, my theory would absolutely break down.” IC demonstrates that there exists complexity which can not be reached by numerous successive and slight modifications and Darwinist's affirmed this by coming up with alternate and parallel paths to counter Behe's observation. So now instead of the old theory of successive modifications, you now have the new theory of evolution which includes parallel pathways which have not been observed but were simulated in a computer program. And you expect ID proponents to prove that the computer simulations are false rather than the owners proving that their computer simulations are correct by using real evidence? I hope you realize by now how silly that sounds. If not, then I've done my part.
It is ludicrous to claim IC is true on the basis that it has been soundly refuted! I cannot believe IDists are so desperate they feel they have to do this.
It is not refuted if it has been assimilated into your theory which it has by developing pathways around IC's.
That is a strong claim. The onus is on you (IDists) to prove it, not on evolutionists to refute it.

That said...

What’s more, of these 23 proteins, it turns out that just two are unique to flagella. The others all closely resemble proteins that carry out other functions in the cell. This means that the vast majority of the components needed to make a flagellum might already have been present in bacteria before this structure appeared.
It has also been shown that some of the components that make up a typical flagellum – the motor, the machinery for extruding the “propeller” and a primitive directional control system – can perform other useful functions in the cell, such as exporting proteins.
“However, this was likely not a one-time event,” they said. “The extra structures appear to have evolved many times in different species of bacteria, using different building blocks but producing the same functionality.”
“Bacterial motors are complex machines, but with studies like this we can see how they have evolved in distinct steps,” Dr. Beeby added.
Behe focuses on the ability of the entire system to assemble in a stepwise fashion, even if sub-parts can have functions outside of the final system. And your news reporter that you have linked to hasn't realized that.

Last edited:
First off, you asking ID to show that something could not have happened which is proving a negative and is a logical impossibility.
This is a common misconception, at least for certain cases. I can prove that my pocket does not contain a nickel quite easily. I can prove that there is no 500-foot elephant in the White House (no political jokes, please).

Then, there are claims like, "No swans are purple" which would require examining the entire universe to confirm. But that's only one class of negative claims.

This is a common misconception, at least for certain cases. I can prove that my pocket does not contain a nickel quite easily. I can prove that there is no 500-foot elephant in the White House (no political jokes, please).

Then, there are claims like, "No swans are purple" which would require examining the entire universe to confirm. But that's only one class of negative claims.
You examples are not of events that could have happened which is the context of the message. There is a difference between does happen and could have happened. Does you pocket have a nickle and could your pocket have had a nickel are two diverse questions. IC challenges successive gradual changes and makes them highly improbable to the point of impossible. Therefore, Darwinists have developed a computer simulation where parallel pathways can happen and produce IC's and instead of Darwinists supplying the observational evidence, ID proponents are required to show, or so the argument goes, that they could not have happened. That's science in reverse. And to say that IC has been debunked is a double no-no since they have been incorporated into the theory of evolution as to what parallel pathways have to get around.

Last edited:
First off, you asking ID to show that something could not have happened which is proving a negative and is a logical impossibility.
Agreed. And yet that is what you are claiming has already happened!

You claimed that both definitions of IC have been shown to apply to the bacteria flagellum, the second of which requires IDists to do what you now admit is impossible.

Odd that.

Secondly, you are forgetting the order of events. Darwin's claim was, “If it could be demonstrated that any complex organ existed which could not possibly have been formed by numerous, successive, slight modifications, my theory would absolutely break down.” IC demonstrates that there exists complexity which can not be reached by numerous successive and slight modifications and Darwinist's affirmed this by coming up with alternate and parallel paths to counter Behe's observation.
And here you are again claiming IC has shown something could never happen, directly after saying that "is a logical impossibility".

Do you actually think about what you post, or does trot out whatever nonsense you are told to regurgitate? Seriously, Cisco...

So now instead of the old theory of successive modifications, you now have the new theory of evolution which includes parallel pathways which have not been observed but were simulated in a computer program.
And we have a whole bunch of intermediates we can see in nature that are part way to the bacterial flagellum, and doing just fine.

And you expect ID proponents to prove that the computer simulations are false rather than the owners proving that their computer simulations are correct by using real evidence? I hope you realize by now how silly that sounds. If not, then I've done my part.
If IDists are claiming IC systems cannot evolve, then of course I expect them to prove that.

If that is impossible - and I agree it is - then the claims of IC are dead in the water. That does not mean you get a free pass to rescue your pet theory, that means your pet theory is trash.

It is not refuted if it has been assimilated into your theory which it has by developing pathways around IC's.
I see IC as being the whole argument that ends with concluding evolution is wrong. If you want to claim a subset of that turned out to be useful, then okay.

Behe focuses on the ability of the entire system to assemble in a stepwise fashion, even if sub-parts can have functions outside of the final system. And your news reporter that you have linked to hasn't realized that.
Behe focuses on the direct route because that is the only one he can. But there is no reason to suppose evolution happened to take that route. He is therefore obliged to use the first definition to prove a system is IC, then quietly swap to the second definition before fallaciously concluding the system could not evolve by any route.

And he has to do that because, as you admitted at the start, actually showing it could not evolve "is a logical impossibility".

You examples are not of events that could have happened which is the context of the message.
What? Of course having a nickel in may pocket is something that could have happened.

There is a difference between does happen and could have happened. Does you pocket have a nickle and could your pocket have had a nickel are two diverse questions.
And how does that matter for proving the negative claim that I don't have a nickel in my pocket?

Agreed. And yet that is what you are claiming has already happened!

You claimed that both definitions of IC have been shown to apply to the bacteria flagellum, the second of which requires IDists to do what you now admit is impossible.

Odd that.

And here you are again claiming IC has shown something could never happen, directly after saying that "is a logical impossibility".

Do you actually think about what you post, or does trot out whatever nonsense you are told to regurgitate? Seriously, Cisco...

And we have a whole bunch of intermediates we can see in nature that are part way to the bacterial flagellum, and doing just fine.

If IDists are claiming IC systems cannot evolve, then of course I expect them to prove that.

If that is impossible - and I agree it is - then the claims of IC are dead in the water. That does not mean you get a free pass to rescue your pet theory, that means your pet theory is trash.

I see IC as being the whole argument that ends with concluding evolution is wrong. If you want to claim a subset of that turned out to be useful, then okay.

Behe focuses on the direct route because that is the only one he can. But there is no reason to suppose evolution happened to take that route. He is therefore obliged to use the first definition to prove a system is IC, then quietly swap to the second definition before fallaciously concluding the system could not evolve by any route.

And he has to do that because, as you admitted at the start, actually showing it could not evolve "is a logical impossibility".
If it is the case that proving a negative is an impossibility then it does not just apply to Darwinian parallel pathways but to everything because it would be a universal law.

It is not possible to reach an IC system by direct successive routes and these are the routes that Darwinian evolutionists have labored to build a case in support of evolution. It is also these routes that are used to explain apparent design. The other pathways of indirect evolution may be possible but without the evidence to support them there is no reason to embrace them and why should we be required to disprove routes that have no evidence. Indirect pathways have to move forward before you can push them back.

Last edited:
The other pathways of indirect evolution may be possible but without the evidence to support them there is no reason to embrace them and why should we be required to disprove routes that have no evidence.
A Venus Flytrap is similar to a mousetrap, one of Behe's examples of an IC system. There is an obvious indirect route to a Venus Flytrap, using the 'scaffolding' indirect route.

A Sundew catches insects with sticky hairs, and then closes slowly (taking minutes) to bring more hairs to bear and digest the insect. The sticky hairs hold the insect in place while the leaf closes round it. Speed up the closure and reduce the stickiness in step, which natural selection will control. Closure gets faster, stickiness reduces and the juice can be better optimised for digestion. Eventually the closure is fast enough to capture the insect, the hairs are reduced to non-sticky triggers and the juices are completely optimised for digestion with no need to be sticky.

The stickiness is the scaffolding, which is needed while the trap is evolving, but can be discarded once the trap is complete.

Oh yes, Sundews and Venus Flytraps are close relatives.

If it is the case that proving a negative is an impossibility then it does not just apply to Darwinian parallel pathways but to everything because it would be a universal law.
Okay. You are the one who said it is impossible.

It is not possible to reach an IC system by direct successive routes and these are the routes that Darwinian evolutionists have labored to build a case in support of evolution. It is also these routes that are used to explain apparent design.
So what? They go for the obvious routes first.

The other pathways of indirect evolution may be possible but without the evidence to support them there is no reason to embrace them and why should we be required to disprove routes that have no evidence. Indirect pathways have to move forward before you can push them back.
If you are claiming an IC system cannot evolve, even by an indirect route, the onus is on you to support the claim.

If you cannot do that - and clearly you cannot - then IC is dead.

If you are claiming an IC system cannot evolve, even by an indirect route, the onus is on you to support the claim.

If you cannot do that - and clearly you cannot - then IC is dead.
You will note that I did not claim that IC cannot evolve by indirect routes but rather that there is no evidence for indirect routes. I also said that there is no need to produce evidence against something that has no evidence. And IC is more alive now than ever before.

What? Of course having a nickel in may pocket is something that could have happened.

And how does that matter for proving the negative claim that I don't have a nickel in my pocket?
Sorry for a lack of response, it's not that I don't care, it's just that I don't believe that this avenue is getting us anywhere. Or maybe, I just don't care.

Sorry for a lack of response, it's not that I don't care, it's just that I don't believe that this avenue is getting us anywhere. Or maybe, I just don't care.
I feel ya. ; )

However, I think it is important because part of your argument (admittedly, just a part) depended on the idea that a negative claim can't be proved or demonstrated, and that is incorrect, as I've showed in my earlier posts here.

I feel ya. ; )

However, I think it is important because part of your argument (admittedly, just a part) depended on the idea that a negative claim can't be proved or demonstrated, and that is incorrect, as I've showed in my earlier posts here.
I might have been wrong about the disproving a negative part. I just knew that there was a fallacy in there some place. I mean the guy was shifting the burden proof to us. Or that we had to prove parallel pathways didn't work rather than the proponents of the theory providing their own evidence. The logical fallacy is actually "shifting the burden of proof". For example, "I saw the real Santa Claus flying overhead with his sled and raindeer last night." And if you can't disprove that claim then it must be true. In our case we propose that parallel pathways can lead to IC's and although there is no evidence for it, you need to prove that they don't work. This is "shifting the burden of proof" and is listed as a fallacy. The term that I used was "proving a negative" which has commonly been mistaken for a fallacy. Thanks for the correction.

Last edited:
You will note that I did not claim that IC cannot evolve by indirect routes but rather that there is no evidence for indirect routes.
Actually, I note that you did claim exactly that. You, post #86: "Both definitions cover the bacterial flagellum. Removing any part will disable the motor and it can't be reached by any evolutionary path." And I also note that you want to rewrite history to revise your position. You are aware that your old posts are saved, right? Anyone can go back and check what you said previously. What are you trying pull here? And why did you think you could get away with it?

I also said that there is no need to produce evidence against something that has no evidence.
If you are making the claim that "it can't be reached by any evolutionary path" then there is need to support that claim - you need to produce the evidence.

If you have now abandoned that position and are merely claiming there is no evidence for indirect routes, then fair enough. But where does that leave the IC argument?
  • There is no direct evolutionary route and we do not know if whether or not there are indirect evolutionary routes.
  • Therefore evolution may or may not be true
All a bit pathetic now.

Furthermore, what would you accept as evidence for an indirect route?

And IC is more alive now than ever before.
So why the sudden need to abandon your early position to the much weaker claim that there is no evidence yet of any indirect route?

Back