Science vs Christianity

I've never anything by read Polkinghome. What do you suggest?
Polkinghorn comes highly recommended.

Another really good one is John Lennox.

Science alters its views to preserve its observations. Christianity alters its observations to preserve its views.
I don’t think you meant to imply science is opposed to Christianity, so I would clarify that science is NOT opposed to Christianity or any religion for that matter. Technically, science is not opposed to anything except maybe error and ignorance. Science is FOR knowledge about ourselves and our world.

Whereas, Christian orthodoxy, particularly evangelical Christianity, obviously is opposed to science wherever it conflicts with their literal interpretations of scripture, just as you say, because it prefers its own “views” (i.e., doctrines, traditions, interpretations) over truth in our world. To Catholicism’s credit they seem to be more willing to accept science whenever it becomes settled on a subject, although I don’t think they know how to reconcile certain truths of our reality with their own “views.” So they hold both to be true, albeit, even if they conflict. Evangelical Christianity, therefore, is the worst offender among Christian sects for opposing science. Sadly, this from our host, Matt Slick,

”Even though science has not replaced religion in all areas, it offers an intellectually justifiable reason to deny God’s sovereignty. Evolution is a good example.”​

Nope, Matt, you are wrong. The fact of Evolution does not deny a divine creator. It only conflicts with a bad interpretation of scripture. He adds polemically,

“The world offers a new kind of religion: science. The scientists are its priests and the general populace is the congregation.”​
Nope, science is neither a religion nor are scientists its priests. It is shameful to imply that science is the new heresy and scientists are the new heretics.

Last edited:
What counts are the reasons behind why you think something true. Science has a far superior methodology than Christianity when it comes to things like T.o.E.
Yeah, yeah, yeah....but there are those that employ science in a false manner trying to remove God from the creation of all process.

Only a fool says there is no God.

Yeah, yeah, yeah....but there are those that employ science in a false manner trying to remove God from the creation of all process.
True, that has happened and will continue to happen but the solution is not to over react in the other direction and deny evidence on a settled subject because others distort it for their own ideology. The solution is to tease out the truth from the distortion and hold onto what is good.. evolution arguably is one mechanism among an infinite number of causes to produce good humans in the universe. In that way, evolution or natural selection is put to a good use if it produced us.

Only a fool says there is no God.

Last edited:
I don’t think you meant to imply science is opposed to Christianity, so I would clarify that science is NOT opposed to Christianity or any religion for that matter.
Correct! Science addresses the natural. Supernatural conjectures are outside the realm of science by definition.

Nope, science is neither a religion nor are scientists its priests. It is shameful to imply that science is the new heresy and scientists are the new heretics.
Ironically, it is evangelical Christianity that is heretical.

Correct! Science addresses the natural. Supernatural conjectures are outside the realm of science by definition.

Ironically, it is evangelical Christianity that is heretical.
Evangelical christianity obviously has some things wrong. It remains to be seen if they will alter course or not. I hope that they do. I grew from their soil so I owe them the truth as a scientist. Although I feel my debt is nearly paid in full. Ha ha!

Evangelical christianity obviously has some things wrong. It remains to be seen if they will alter course or not. I hope that they do. I grew from their soil so I owe them the truth as a scientist. Although I feel my debt is nearly paid in full. Ha ha!
As individuals some will break away, but the religion itself is beyond salvaging.

I grew from their soil so I owe them the truth as a scientist. Although I feel my debt is nearly paid in full. Ha ha!
You never owed them anything, my dude.

It would be interesting to see how they would respond to your opening post.
I worked with an evangelical Christian chemical engineer. I know how he reacted to observations like the one in the OP:

The bible is believed by faith, not concrete/materialistic evidence

In other words, Christianity is free to do whatever it likes, so long as it believes the right stuff - which is entirely consistent with the OP.

You haven't actually demonstrated that.
That's right, because you demonstrated it for us. You both said the same thing, using different words. It's obvious to everyone, steve.

Nor have you demonstrated that there's a problem with that type of thinking.
Every adult knows the dangers of forming a conclusion and then looking for evidence to support it, Steve. Why do you think something so obvious needs to be demonstrated?

Back