Scripture implies our desires cause our choices

Simpletruther

Ezekiel 36
26 I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; I will take the heart of stone out of your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. 27 I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will keep My judgments and do them.

As we see ultimately it is God that determines (causes) our choices. But he uses means to do that (new hearts). The heart is the seat of desires. He gives us new desires and our desires cause us to act on them.

Jesus talked about in Matthew how out of the heart flow evil actions, why? Because that is what causes us to act, our desires.

we also have this Luke 6 passage:

43 “For a good tree does not bear bad fruit, nor does a bad tree bear good fruit. 44 For every tree is known by its own fruit. For men do not gather figs from thorns, nor do they gather grapes from a bramble bush
The good person out of the good treasure of his heart produces good, and the evil person out of his evil treasure produces evil, for out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks

the treasure of a man's heart are his desires. And from that flows our actions.

So why then, if we as believers are good trees, are we not always good?

Scripture explains that we still have an old nature (the sinful flesh) that has not entirely been eradicated. So we have two hearts and two sets of desires. Paul talks at length about this in romans. That is why he could it it is no longer him that sins.

These are God's means of bringing about his plan and purpose.

Ezekiel 36
26 I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; I will take the heart of stone out of your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. 27 I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will keep My judgments and do them.

As we see ultimately it is God that determines (causes) our choices. But he uses means to do that (new hearts). The heart is the seat of desires. He gives us new desires and our desires cause us to act on them.

Still future (at that time) promise

But so when a believer sins today it is because god determined his desire to do so?

Er that is not biblical

James 1:13 (AV) — 13 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:

1 John 2:16 (AV) — 16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

1 Corinthians 10:13 (AV) — 13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

But so when a believer sins today it is because god determined his desire to do so?

Er that is not biblical

James 1:13 (AV) — 13 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:

1 John 2:16 (AV) — 16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

1 Corinthians 10:13 (AV) — 13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

Er that is not biblical

Do you suppose those "walking in his statutes" at the time just go lucky, And God wasnt causing it, but later he would cause it?

Or maybe this is simply typology for spiritual isreal that would be more fully revealed in the new covenant.

Do you suppose those "walking in his statutes" at the time just go lucky, And God wasnt causing it, but later he would cause it?

Or maybe this is simply typology for spiritual isreal that would be more fully revealed in the new covenant.
Read the passage andforget your theology

Ezekiel 36:22–28 (KJV 1900) — 22 Therefore say unto the house of Israel, Thus saith the Lord GOD; I do not this for your sakes, O house of Israel, but for mine holy name’s sake, which ye have profaned among the heathen, whither ye went. 23 And I will sanctify my great name, which was profaned among the heathen, which ye have profaned in the midst of them; and the heathen shall know that I am the LORD, saith the Lord GOD, when I shall be sanctified in you before their eyes. 24 For I will take you from among the heathen, and gather you out of all countries, and will bring you into your own land. 25 Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you. 26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. 27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them. 28 And ye shall dwell in the land that I gave to your fathers; and ye shall be my people, and I will be your God.

It is future

Jer 31 future

John 7:38, 39 future

The third section examines the new covenant promised in Jeremiah 31 and Ezekiel 36. Both prophets ministered at a time when the covenant had been broken. Jeremiah faced the destruction of the temple, and Ezekiel saw the glory of God abandon it. Both speak of a time when God will remedy this situation. Jeremiah promises a new medium on which the law will be written; Ezekiel promises a rebuilt temple and a return of God’s Spirit. These passages present the indwelling or “pouring out” of the Holy Spirit as an eschatological blessing for each believer.6 They give no indication that old covenant believers were indwelt, because their intention is to describe what will become a reality under the new covenant1

1 James M. Hamilton Jr., God’s Indwelling Presence: The Holy Spirit in the Old & New Testaments (Nashville, TN: B&H Academic, 2006), 26–27.

Read the passage andforget your theology

Ezekiel 36:22–28 (KJV 1900) — 22 Therefore say unto the house of Israel, Thus saith the Lord GOD; I do not this for your sakes, O house of Israel, but for mine holy name’s sake, which ye have profaned among the heathen, whither ye went. 23 And I will sanctify my great name, which was profaned among the heathen, which ye have profaned in the midst of them; and the heathen shall know that I am the LORD, saith the Lord GOD, when I shall be sanctified in you before their eyes. 24 For I will take you from among the heathen, and gather you out of all countries, and will bring you into your own land. 25 Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you. 26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. 27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them. 28 And ye shall dwell in the land that I gave to your fathers; and ye shall be my people, and I will be your God.

It is future

Jer 31 future

John 7:38, 39 future

The third section examines the new covenant promised in Jeremiah 31 and Ezekiel 36. Both prophets ministered at a time when the covenant had been broken. Jeremiah faced the destruction of the temple, and Ezekiel saw the glory of God abandon it. Both speak of a time when God will remedy this situation. Jeremiah promises a new medium on which the law will be written; Ezekiel promises a rebuilt temple and a return of God’s Spirit. These passages present the indwelling or “pouring out” of the Holy Spirit as an eschatological blessing for each believer.6 They give no indication that old covenant believers were indwelt, because their intention is to describe what will become a reality under the new covenant1

1 James M. Hamilton Jr., God’s Indwelling Presence: The Holy Spirit in the Old & New Testaments (Nashville, TN: B&H Academic, 2006), 26–27.
This simplistic tactic is like saying go hate your parents, stop using theology just read Jesus words.

This simplistic tactic is like saying go hate your parents, stop using theology just read Jesus words.
Afraid not

You were presented with three different scripture all which show the indwelling of the spirit and regeneration was a future promise

The only reason I can see you will not accept it is a desire to protect an assumed doctrine

It is not based on scriptural considerations

Back