SDA’s Investigative Judgement teaching from Ellen’s Book, “The Great Controversy”.

What is the Seventh-day adventist doctrine of the Investigative Judgement all about?

1. The Investigative Judgement began on October 22, 1844.

2.The timing and existence of the Investigative Judgement is in the claimed fulfillment of a single text - Daniel 8:14 "unto 2300 days, then shall the sanctuary be cleansed.".

3. The purpose of the Investigative Judgement is to determine who is prepared for the kingdom of God. (GC p 489, 1939ed)

4. The work of the Investigative Judgement is to determine which ones of the above believers "are shown to be ENTITLED to its (the atonement of the Cross) BENEFITS.". "Names are accepted, names rejected". (GC p 489, 1939ed)

5. The Investigative Judgement bases judgement of the individual upon "those things which were written in the books, according to their works". (GC p 552, 1939ed)

6. In the Investigative Judgement, each individual "must be tested and found without spot or wrinkle or any such thing" (GC p 556, 1939ed) in order to qualify for the benefit of the Atonement of the Cross of Jesus Christ.

7. The first persons judged in the Investigative Judgement are "those who first lived upon the earth". (GC p 549, 1939ed)

8, No one knows when the Investigative Judgement will pass to the cases of the living. (GC p 556, 1939ed)

9. Ellen said in 1884, that "Forty years has this work been in progress. Soon - none know how soon - it will pass to the cases of the living.". (GC, p 315, 1884 Ed.)
If any of the above points fail the test of scripture, the Investigative judgement is a false doctrine.

=================

What is the Seventh-day adventist doctrine of the Investigative Judgement all about?
6. In the Investigative Judgement, each individual "must be tested and found without spot or wrinkle or any such thing" (GC p 556, 1939ed) in order to qualify for the benefit of the Atonement of the Cross of Jesus Christ.
Isn't that like saying to a sick person that they must heal themself before seeing the doctor?

Isn't that like saying to a sick person that they must heal themself before seeing the doctor?
The Adventist definition of Grace is very different than that of Christians. We understand Grace to mean that Salvation is a free gift even tho we are undeserving. The Adventist definition is not unlike being told that you've won a car. but you are now expected to make payments.

Reactions: Mik
This is perhaps the most odious teaching in Adventism. It is very different from the grace taught in the New Testament.

That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. - Romans 10:9

He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him. - John 3:36

These verses do not support an investigative judgment. Salvation is given freely to those who believe and confess.

This is perhaps the most odious teaching in Adventism. It is very different from the grace taught in the New Testament.

That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. - Romans 10:9

He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him. - John 3:36

These verses do not support an investigative judgment. Salvation is given freely to those who believe and confess.
Adventism's beliefs don't even support the doctrine of the IJ. Adventists believe the books of judgement were not opened until Oct 22, 1844. However, they also believe that Enoch was taken to heaven. They believe Elijah was taken to heaven. They believe that Moses was resurrected and taken to heaven. This puts paid to the idea of an IJ. How did God take them to heaven 2000-plus years before their names could have come up in the IJ? What if they hadn't measured up? Would God have to kick them out?

(As an aside, I can find nowhere in the Bible that says that Moses was resurrected. Jesus is the first fruits and the only one to be resurrected with an immortal and incorruptible body. I believe that Moses went to Paradise, the Busom of Abraham, whatever one might call it, but still waits for the bodily resurrection which occurs at the Second Coming.)

Greetings Christian SDA,
2.The timing and existence of the Investigative Judgement is in the claimed fulfillment of a single text - Daniel 8:14 "unto 2300 days, then shall the sanctuary be cleansed."
The IJ was invented some time after the Great Disappointment of 1843 or 1844. They had to come up with some concept because they still held firmly to the 1843,1844 date. I hold the view that a major fulfillment of the 2300 is from BC 334-333 the overthrow of the Persians by Alexander to AD 1967 the Six Day War when the Israelis retook the city of Jerusalem. Luke 21:24 quotes and alludes to Daniel 8:12-13.

Kind regards
Trevor

Paul says
that which is written is an EXAMPLE for us
Peter says this
2Peter2:7
And turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrha into ashes condemned them with an overthrow,
making them an ensample unto those that after should live ungodly;

7 And delivered just Lot, vexed with the filthy conversation of the wicked:

8 (For that righteous man dwelling among them,
in seeing and hearing,
vexed his righteous soul from day to day with their unlawful deeds;)
[/indent]

making them an ensample unto those that after should live ungodly

Genesis 18:20​
20 And the Lord said,​
Because the cry of Sodom and Gomorrah is great,​
and because their sin is very grievous;​
21 I will go down now, and see whether they have done altogether according to the cry of it,​
which is come unto me; and if not, I will know.​

I will go down now, and see
that posters is "an Investigation" before Judgement is passed
"IE: Investigative Judgement

as Paul and Peter both said
and example of what will happen
ie: an investigation before Judgement is passed on those that should live ungodly
this also
Gen.19:1
19 And there came two angels to Sodom at even;

Last edited:
Paul says
that which is written is an EXAMPLE for us
Peter says this
2Peter2:7
And turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrha into ashes condemned them with an overthrow,
making them an ensample unto those that after should live ungodly;

7 And delivered just Lot, vexed with the filthy conversation of the wicked:

8 (For that righteous man dwelling among them,
in seeing and hearing,
vexed his righteous soul from day to day with their unlawful deeds;)
[/indent]

making them an ensample unto those that after should live ungodly

Genesis 18:20​
20 And the Lord said,​
Because the cry of Sodom and Gomorrah is great,​
and because their sin is very grievous;​
21 I will go down now, and see whether they have done altogether according to the cry of it,​
which is come unto me; and if not, I will know.​

I will go down now, and see
that posters is "an Investigation" before Judgement is passed
"IE: Investigative Judgement

as Paul and Peter both said
and example of what will happen
ie: an investigation before Judgement is passed on those that should live ungodly
this also
Gen.19:1
19 And there came two angels to Sodom at even;
I've asked a question of my Adventist friends, including classmates who became pastors, and have never gotten an answer that makes sense.

Adventists believe that Enoch and Elijah were translated without seeing death and taken directly to heaven. They also believe that Moses was resurrected and then translated to heaven. They also believe that the books were not opened for judgement until October 22, 1844.

My question has always been if the books were not opened until 1844, what would God have done if they had come up short in the Investigative Judgement? Send them back?

2.The timing and existence of the Investigative Judgement is in the claimed fulfillment of a single text - Daniel 8:14 "unto 2300 days, then shall the sanctuary be cleansed.".

3. The purpose of the Investigative Judgement is to determine who is prepared for the kingdom of God. (GC p 489, 1939ed)

God needs time to figure it out does He?

4. The work of the Investigative Judgement is to determine which ones of the above believers "are shown to be ENTITLED to its (the atonement of the Cross) BENEFITS.". "Names are accepted, names rejected". (GC p 489, 1939ed)

5. The Investigative Judgement bases judgement of the individual upon "those things which were written in the books, according to their works". (GC p 552, 1939ed)

7. The first persons judged in the Investigative Judgement are "those who first lived upon the earth". (GC p 549, 1939ed)

8, No one knows when the Investigative Judgement will pass to the cases of the living. (GC p 556, 1939ed)

9. Ellen said in 1884, that "Forty years has this work been in progress. Soon - none know how soon - it will pass to the cases of the living.". (GC, p 315, 1884 Ed.)
If any of the above points fail the test of scripture, the Investigative judgement is a false doctrine.

=================

If I’m not mistaken, I do believe the laws written in the Torah require the accused to be presented to a judge with witnesses of the alleged crime also presented. Hence, there’s an investigation before a sentence is passed.

That’s where we get out legal system today in the western world.

It’s also the foundation of our presumption of innocence.

As in heaven, so on Earth. ? which gets me pondering on something else.

]]
Matt.13:
And he spake many things unto them in parables,
saying,

Behold, a sower went forth to sow;
4 And when he sowed,
some seeds fell by
the way side,

and the fowls came and devoured them up:

If I’m not mistaken, I do believe the laws written in the Torah require the accused to be presented to a judge with witnesses of the alleged crime also presented. Hence, there’s an investigation before a sentence is passed.

That’s where we get out legal system today in the western world.

It’s also the foundation of our presumption of innocence.

As in heaven, so on Earth. ? which gets me pondering on something else.
Faithful Witnesses, Eyewitnesses, Not Hear-Say'ers.
nor the way siders =
as Peter said
Acts 1:21​
Wherefore of these men which have companied with us all the time​
that the Lord Jesus went in and out among us,​
22 Beginning from the baptism of John,​
unto that same day that he was taken up from us,​
must one be ordained to be a witness with us of his resurrection.​
2 Peter 2:15​
15 Moreover I will endeavour that ye may be able after my decease to have these things always in remembrance.​
For we have not followed cunningly devised fables,​
when we made known unto you​
the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ,​
but were eyewitnesses of his majesty.​
17 For he received from God the Father honour and glory,​
when there came such a voice to him from the excellent glory,​
This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.​
18 And this voice which came from heaven we heard,​
when we were with him in the holy mount.​
Peter and the Apostles are all gone
alive today, there are only 1 group that qualifies
that saw it all and heard him speak with thier own ears
---------------------------
---- 2nd Faithful Witness----
19 We have also a more sure word of prophecy;​
whereunto ye do well that ye take heed,​
as unto a light that shineth in a dark place,​
until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:​
20 Knowing this first,​
that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.​
21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man:​
but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.​

//

I've asked a question of my Adventist friends, including classmates who became pastors, and have never gotten an answer that makes sense.

Adventists believe that Enoch and Elijah were translated without seeing death and taken directly to heaven. They also believe that Moses was resurrected and then translated to heaven. They also believe that the books were not opened for judgement until October 22, 1844.

My question has always been if the books were not opened until 1844, what would God have done if they had come up short in the Investigative Judgement? Send them back?

God is omniscient and already knows who is safe to resurrect (Moses) or to translate (Enoch/Elijah) into His kingdom; having foreknowledge that the sacrifice of His Son on the cross for the sins of mankind would be fulfilled/accepted before the event occurred. The IJ isn’t for the benefit of the Godhead. It’s for the benefit of all the unfallen, created beings in God’s universe who don’t have the ability to "read the hearts" of other created beings. Consider the following:

5 But a certain man named Ananias, with Sapphira his wife, sold a possession. 2 And he kept back part of the proceeds, his wife also being aware of it, and brought a certain part and laid it at the apostles’ feet. 3 But Peter said, “Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and keep back part of the price of the land for yourself? 4 While it remained, was it not your own? And after it was sold, was it not in your own control? Why have you conceived this thing in your heart? You have not lied to men but to God.”

5 Then Ananias, hearing these words, fell down and breathed his last. So great fear came upon all those who heard these things. 6 And the young men arose and wrapped him up, carried him out, and buried him.

7 Now it was about three hours later when his wife came in, not knowing what had happened. 8 And Peter answered her, “Tell me whether you sold the land for so much?”

She said, “Yes, for so much.”

9 Then Peter said to her, “How is it that you have agreed together to test the Spirit of the Lord? Look, the feet of those who have buried your husband are at the door, and they will carry you out.” 10 Then immediately she fell down at his feet and breathed her last. And the young men came in and found her dead, and carrying her out, buried her by her husband. 11 So great fear came upon all the church and upon all who heard these things. (ACTS)

Who informed Peter of the lies of these professed believers? Obviously, the One who already knew.

Likewise, the IJ in no way jeopardizes the salvation of those who believe in Jesus and live in union with Him, trusting in Him as their intercessor (Rom. 8:34). Their assurance being that “we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous” (1 John 2:1). The IJ answers the charges of Satan against fallen man and gives assurance to the unfallen creation that God will allow into His kingdom only those who have been truly converted; thereby opening the books of record beforehand (prior to the 2nd Coming) for their inspection (Dan. 7:9,10).

Agape!

God is omniscient and already knows who is safe to resurrect (Moses) or to translate (Enoch/Elijah) into His kingdom; having foreknowledge that the sacrifice of His Son on the cross for the sins of mankind would be fulfilled/accepted before the event occurred. The IJ isn’t for the benefit of the Godhead. It’s for the benefit of all the unfallen, created beings in God’s universe who don’t have the ability to "read the hearts" of other created beings. Consider the following:

5 But a certain man named Ananias, with Sapphira his wife, sold a possession. 2 And he kept back part of the proceeds, his wife also being aware of it, and brought a certain part and laid it at the apostles’ feet. 3 But Peter said, “Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and keep back part of the price of the land for yourself? 4 While it remained, was it not your own? And after it was sold, was it not in your own control? Why have you conceived this thing in your heart? You have not lied to men but to God.”

5 Then Ananias, hearing these words, fell down and breathed his last. So great fear came upon all those who heard these things. 6 And the young men arose and wrapped him up, carried him out, and buried him.

7 Now it was about three hours later when his wife came in, not knowing what had happened. 8 And Peter answered her, “Tell me whether you sold the land for so much?”

She said, “Yes, for so much.”

9 Then Peter said to her, “How is it that you have agreed together to test the Spirit of the Lord? Look, the feet of those who have buried your husband are at the door, and they will carry you out.” 10 Then immediately she fell down at his feet and breathed her last. And the young men came in and found her dead, and carrying her out, buried her by her husband. 11 So great fear came upon all the church and upon all who heard these things. (ACTS)

Who informed Peter of the lies of these professed believers? Obviously, the One who already knew.

Likewise, the IJ in no way jeopardizes the salvation of those who believe in Jesus and live in union with Him, trusting in Him as their intercessor (Rom. 8:34). Their assurance being that “we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous” (1 John 2:1). The IJ answers the charges of Satan against fallen man and gives assurance to the unfallen creation that God will allow into His kingdom only those who have been truly converted; thereby opening the books of record beforehand (prior to the 2nd Coming) for their inspection (Dan. 7:9,10).

Agape!
It is obvious that you haven’t read Job chapters 38-41 otherwise you wouldn’t have written the above.
Im not interested in what Satan thinks and no one else is either. God is in control even of Satan. God does not need to be vindicated.

=================
The logical conclusion for the IJ is that God is not all knowing.

Attributing a reason for a doctrine without determining the validity of the doctrine itself can lead only to delusion. We've searched for the alleged accusation satan made (according to Ellen White) and found that it doesn't exist.

Back