Septuagint Chronology

Cynthia

Does the Eastern Orthodox have a chronology of the Septuagint like the protestants have (Usshers for example)?

I have found one by a Lutheran pastor online but unfortunately many of the data choices he made were from the Masoretic Text instead of the Septuagint.

Thanks, Cynthia

Does the Eastern Orthodox have a chronology of the Septuagint like the protestants have (Usshers for example)?

I have found one by a Lutheran pastor online but unfortunately many of the data choices he made were from the Masoretic Text instead of the Septuagint.

Thanks, Cynthia
Not that I know of. I'll have to research that.

I appreciate your responses.

I have been working on a chronology based on the Septuagint for about 12 years. When I am finished I will post the results here.

I have finished the chronology. I came up with 5310BC as creation of Adam. Fascinating project, the biggest and best thing I have ever done. I mailed the manuscript to Library of Congress last week for copyrighting. I am beginning the process of looking for a publisher. Probably will go with Amazon. I'm afraid it is so huge (320 pages of 9x11) that I may need to write a condensed version for portability and cost.

Other Septuagint Chronologists: Josephus/5344BC, David Rohl/5375BC, John Jackson/5426BC, S.B. Goodenow/5454BC, William Cuninghame/5478BC, Theophilus/5498BC, Julius Africanus Sextus/5500BC, Demetrius/5500BC, Rev David Kind/5501BC, Stavros Markou/5508BC, Thomas Brett/5508BC, William Hales/5511BC, Eusebius/5518BC, Henry Smith Jr/5554BC, Steven Rudd/5554BC, Playfair/5555BC, Isaac Vossius/5598BC, Barry Setterfield/5690BC

The Byzantine calendar starts from the estimated date of creation from the Septuagint. Year 1 begins at September 1, 5509 BC.

That agrees with the chronology from Josephus, but it is more than 1000 years different than that based on the modern (Masoretic) Hebrew scriptures.

View attachment 5257

I believe I have this work from Steven Rudd in his book "The Essential Collection".

Back