Setting Argumentive Things Aside

Do you think that the differences between Roman Catholics and Evangelicals can be set aside?
No. It is impossible because the RCs will insist that everyone comes under the rule of the pope for a start. They will never change their false teachings and if you are a true believer then you can never agree to follow false teachings.

Scripture is clear we cannot be double minded, we cannot be hypocrites, our yes must be yes and our no must be no. So our can a real believer be honest with God if they agree with the RCC.

Do you think that the differences between Roman Catholics and Evangelicals can be set aside?
It depends on what you mean by "set aside."

Do I think Catholics and Protestants will ever reunite and become one Church, one Faith, etc? No. In order for the Christian Church to reunite and become one in Faith, Protestants would---have to give up--everything that makes them Protestant. I do not see that happening. The differences between Catholics and Protestants are not like the differences between say--Weis Markets and Tops, Pizza Hut and Dominos, Burger King and McDonalds. One may suggest that the differences between the Protestants sects are more analogous to that, but not the differences between Protestants and Catholics.

Catholicism is different in essence from Protestantism. The differences between Catholics and Protestants is not degree but kind. The differences between Protestants are degree, not kind. Thus, reunion--I do not see happening.

That being said: I disagree with Protestants, but I have always respected them as brothers and sisters in Christ. I have always thought them well intentioned people who I disagree with. You do not see me in their churches attempting to prostitlilize them. You do not see me attempting that with family or friends. I would not encourage Catholic converts to run around badmouthing the sect they left--to anyone who will listen--especially current members of that sect. When I was organist in a Five Point Calvinist church, the pastor asked me if I had a problem with Five Point Calvinism. I said "Hell yes I have a problem with that. If I agreed with it, I would be a member of your Church! But as organist, I am a guest in your house. Your house, your rules. I am just here to play the organ." The pastor hired me on the spot.

I wish Protestants could just accept that we disagree and leave it at that. So we have devotion to Mary, we believe in Purgatory, we have devotion to the saints, etc. So what? So we have Sacraments. Why are Protestants so obsessed with this? Why are they so hung up on this. It is as if they think we Catholics literally walk around all day going "Jesus, who cares about you, I want to talk to your mother." I just do not understand why they care. Obviously you are Protestant becasue you do not believe these things. Fine. Whatever. Do what you want in your sect. Leave us to our practices and Faith.

Last edited:
I believe that the Holy Spirit can do anything. So a superficial/theoretical unity is not the answer but allowing the Holy Spirit into the dialogue is the way. Matt 1820 For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them.

The Church has conceded that Luther had a point regarding certain things going on in the Church of his day for example. She now acknowledges her own flaws in how that went down. One problem with some nonCC's is still not recognising the deep roots of anti Catholicism that affect their perspective. Nothing's going to heal when that default contempt remains unexamined.

I believe that the Holy Spirit can do anything. So a superficial/theoretical unity is not the answer but allowing the Holy Spirit into the dialogue is the way. Matt 1820 For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them.

The Church has conceded that Luther had a point regarding certain things going on in the Church of his day for example. She now acknowledges her own flaws in how that went down. One problem with some nonCC's is still not recognising the deep roots of anti Catholicism that affect their perspective. Nothing's going to heal when that default contempt remains unexamined.
Oh that will be a major problem as RCC has already shown that it doesn't listen to the HS.

You think there are different kinds of ways to be in Christ?
Are there different kinds of ways to be in Christ? I don't know--becasue I do not know what you mean by "In Christ."

One either has a saving knowledge/relationship with Christ or they don't. In that sense, there is only one way to be "in Christ." You are either "in Christ" in that should you die, you go to Heaven, or you aren't in that should you die you go to Hell.

I do think there are many and varied paths to Christ, though I believe that the Catholic path is the only surest, straightest, certain path to Christ.

Is that not the agenda of Ecumenism and the One World Religion; some have already shipwrecked their faith.
I do not support false ecumenism whereby differences are ignored and everyone holds hands, makes nice, nice, sings kum by ah as though truth does not matter.

I do support real and honest attempts at unity where possible. Should we not work towards unity where possible? Is something wrong with this?

We differ on a lot but we both agree that salvation comes through Christ alone, through grace alone. We both agree that Jesus is GOD (YHWH.)

No. It is impossible because the RCs will insist that everyone comes under the rule of the pope for a start. They will never change their false teachings and if you are a true believer then you can never agree to follow false teachings.

Scripture is clear we cannot be double minded, we cannot be hypocrites, our yes must be yes and our no must be no. So our can a real believer be honest with God if they agree with the RCC.
My thoughts exactly.

Are there different kinds of ways to be in Christ? I don't know--becasue I do not know what you mean by "In Christ."
What did you mean by 'in Christ'?
That being said: I disagree with Protestants, but I have always respected them as brothers and sisters in Christ....
One either has a saving knowledge/relationship with Christ or they don't. In that sense, there is only one way to be "in Christ."
What other way do Protestants have 'in Christ' that is a different kind that Catholics have?

You are either "in Christ" in that should you die, you go to Heaven, or you aren't in that should you die you go to Hell.
Can one 'in Christ' go to purgatory?

I do think there are many and varied paths to Christ, though I believe that the Catholic path is the only surest, straightest, certain path to Christ.
Jesus says there in only one way.

It depends on what you mean by "set aside."

Do I think Catholics and Protestants will ever reunite and become one Church, one Faith, etc? No. In order for the Christian Church to reunite and become one in Faith, Protestants would---have to give up--everything that makes them Protestant. I do not see that happening. The differences between Catholics and Protestants are not like the differences between say--Weis Markets and Tops, Pizza Hut and Dominos, Burger King and McDonalds. One may suggest that the differences between the Protestants sects are more analogous to that, but not the differences between Protestants and Catholics.

Catholicism is different in essence from Protestantism. The differences between Catholics and Protestants is not degree but kind. The differences between Protestants are degree, not kind. Thus, reunion--I do not see happening.

That being said: I disagree with Protestants, but I have always respected them as brothers and sisters in Christ. I have always thought them well intentioned people who I disagree with. You do not see me in their churches attempting to prostitlilize them. You do not see me attempting that with family or friends. I would not encourage Catholic converts to run around badmouthing the sect they left--to anyone who will listen--especially current members of that sect. When I was organist in a Five Point Calvinist church, the pastor asked me if I had a problem with Five Point Calvinism. I said "Hell yes I have a problem with that. If I agreed with it, I would be a member of your Church! But as organist, I am a guest in your house. Your house, your rules. I am just here to play the organ." The pastor hired me on the spot.

I wish Protestants could just accept that we disagree and leave it at that. So we have devotion to Mary, we believe in Purgatory, we have devotion to the saints, etc. So what? So we have Sacraments. Why are Protestants so obsessed with this? Why are they so hung up on this. It is as if they think we Catholics literally walk around all day going "Jesus, who cares about you, I want to talk to your mother." I just do not understand why they care. Obviously you are Protestant becasue you do not believe these things. Fine. Whatever. Do what you want in your sect. Leave us to our practices and Faith.
I wish that Roman Catholics didn't try to minimize the many differences between Roman Catholicism and traditional Christianity to the point that Roman Catholic doctrines become interpreted as merely minor variances to true biblical teachings.

I wish that Roman Catholics didn't try to minimize the many differences between Roman Catholicism and traditional Christianity to the point that Roman Catholic doctrines become interpreted as merely minor variances to true biblical teachings.
You mean like--I don't know---Double predestination, infant Baptism, the presence of Christ in the Eucharist, sacraments vs. ordinances, etc? You mean like that?

You consider Christians who disagree with you on the above subjects--you know--just merely "minor variances to true biblical teachings?"

I love how Protestants minimize the differences they have with other Protestants as just "minor variances to true biblical teachings" or "brothers in the Lord having respectful disagreements" but then act like Catholics are Satan becasue of the differences they have with Protestants.

If Protestants didn't have double standards, they would have no standards at all. What you are basically saying above is "As long as you aren't Catholic, the differences and disagreements don't matter."

What did you mean by 'in Christ'? What other way do Protestants have 'in Christ' that is a different kind that Catholics have?
Since you refuse to define what you mean by "in Christ" it is difficult for me to answer the question.
Can one 'in Christ' go to purgatory?
Yes. Purgatory is part of being "in Christ." If one was not "in Christ" one would go to Hell.
Jesus says there in only one way.
One way to the Father, yes.

That being said: I disagree with Protestants, but I have always respected them as brothers and sisters in Christ. ...
Since you refuse to define what you mean by "in Christ" it is difficult for me to answer the question.
You brought up "In Christ"; the onus is on you to define what you mean by "in Christ"

One way to the Father, yes.
How many ways to Jesus?

What? You want a precise number?

I have no idea. God can use an infinite number of ways to draw people to Christ.
Creation testifying, law written in the heart, conscience bearing witness, Holy Spirit reproving, Old testament, New testament, gospel ...

How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?
How does that bring one to Christ?

Creation testifying, law written in the heart, conscience bearing witness, Holy Spirit reproving, Old testament, New testament, gospel ...

How does that bring one to Christ?
The point I was making with that question---was that I felt it was splitting hairs. What difference does it make how many ways there are to Christ?

Back