Sharing of Christ sufferings

dingoling.

Paul's prayer is also my prayer:

I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the sharing of his sufferings by becoming like him in his death, if somehow I may attain the resurrection from the dead......Let those of us then who are mature be of the same mind.

So then yes let those of us who are mature be of the same mind.

My goodness this again. You carry on about suffering, what suffering do you do. None. Life for every person is full of hardships, some days are better than others.

I do not what to be of the same mind as you, I want the mind of Christ. There is a major difference. I feel sorry for you RCs see non RC posts as suffering. Really you are not suffering at all.

I pray to have the mind of Jesus, to have His love for others. I want to think like Jesus etc. Not an RC who follows a man made institution and not Jesus. Who does not know what real scriptural repentance is. Who twist scripture.

Jesus is clear in scripture:

Matt 11

28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

Last edited by a moderator:
So you want to share in Christ sufferings by becoming like him in his death?
We are all going to die. I know some RCs like to do stupid things like nail themselves to the cross. Please post one verse that even implies that a person should do that.

Stop making out you suffer, it is disgusting because it shows a lack of empathy for people who really do suffer for their faith. It belittles what they go through.

We are all going to die. I know some RCs like to do stupid things like nail themselves to the cross. Please post one verse that even implies that a person should do that.

Stop making out you suffer, it is disgusting because it shows a lack of empathy for people who really do suffer for their faith. It belittles what they go through.
Why did Paul want to share in Christ sufferings by becoming like him in his death?

Paul continues on in verse 11 where he says, "if somehow I may attain the resurrection from the dead."

Is this suffering part of our salvation process?

Why did Paul want to share in Christ sufferings by becoming like him in his death?

Paul continues on in verse 11 where he says, "if somehow I may attain the resurrection from the dead."

Oh seriously it is about being resurrected after death. By the way which book are you in and what chapter? You are being extremely unclear.

Are you once again misusing scripture, are you referring to 2 Cor 1

3 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, 4 who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God. 5 For just as we share abundantly in the sufferings of Christ, so also our comfort abounds through Christ. 6 If we are distressed, it is for your comfort and salvation; if we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which produces in you patient endurance of the same sufferings we suffer. 7 And our hope for you is firm, because we know that just as you share in our sufferings, so also you share in our comfort.

8 We do not want you to be uninformed, brothers and sisters, about the troubles we experienced in the province of Asia. We were under great pressure, far beyond our ability to endure, so that we despaired of life itself. 9 Indeed, we felt we had received the sentence of death. But this happened that we might not rely on ourselves but on God, who raises the dead. 10 He has delivered us from such a deadly peril, and he will deliver us again. On him we have set our hope that he will continue to deliver us, 11 as you help us by your prayers. Then many will give thanks on our behalf for the gracious favor granted us in answer to the prayers of many.

What affliction did Paul have?

Please I am waiting to hear what you suffer from? Do you suffer like those in countries where Christians are killed for their faith?

It does not matter what we are going through because we live in a fallen world. God is our comfort. We know we will be raised from the dead.

haven't you claimed to have read scripture many multiple times and understand it?

you tell us what it means.

Oh seriously it is about being resurrected after death. By the way which book are you in and what chapter? You are being extremely unclear.
Philippians 3 is a well worn theme in the Lenten liturgy cycle of the Church. I've been through 60 Lents and it's so familiar. Similarly Matthew 16

24 Then Jesus told his disciples, “If any want to become my followers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. 25 For those who want to save their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake will find it. 26 For what will it profit them if they gain the whole world but forfeit their life? Or what will they give in return for their life? 27 “For the Son of Man is to come with his angels in the glory of his Father, and then he will repay everyone for what has been done.

All the more poignant when fasting and abstaining. Jesus did those things. They can't be fruitless.

Philippians 3.
7 But whatever were gains to me I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. 8 What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ 9 and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God on the basis of faith. 10 I want to know Christ—yes, to know the power of his resurrection and participation in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, 11 and so, somehow, attaining to the resurrection from the dead.

12 Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13 Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

Not through works but faith in Christ. Righteousness comes from Jesus and not works. He presses ahead to his goal to go to heaven. The suffering is not being in heaven with Jesus.

Philippians 3 is a well worn theme in the Lenten liturgy cycle of the Church. I've been through 60 Lents and it's so familiar. Similarly Matthew 16

24 Then Jesus told his disciples, “If any want to become my followers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. 25 For those who want to save their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake will find it. 26 For what will it profit them if they gain the whole world but forfeit their life? Or what will they give in return for their life? 27 “For the Son of Man is to come with his angels in the glory of his Father, and then he will repay everyone for what has been done.

All the more poignant when fasting and abstaining. Jesus did those things. They can't be fruitless.
It is not saying what RCs think it says and a well worn passage misunderstood means nothing at all. The suffering is not being in heaven.

So in the three passages - Phil 3, Matt 16, 2 cor 1 -suffering til death brings about resurrection and being with Jesus in heaven. Seriously RCs do not know what true suffering is. I mean most of RCs think these posts are suffering. I wish that was all the suffering there was but hey people are tortured and killed for their faith. That is suffering.

So what was afflicting Paul? Was it physical or was it because he was not with the Lord. Your misunderstanding of Paul, shows why all scripture has be read and taken as a whole. Paul shows clearly what he desires in Phil 1:

21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. 22 If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know! 23 I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; 24 but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body.

It is not saying what RCs think it says and a well worn passage misunderstood means nothing at all. The suffering is not being in heaven.

So in the three passages - Phil 3, Matt 16, 2 cor 1 -suffering til death brings about resurrection and being with Jesus in heaven. Seriously RCs do not know what true suffering is. I mean most of RCs think these posts are suffering. I wish that was all the suffering there was but hey people are tortured and killed for their faith. That is suffering.

So what was afflicting Paul? Was it physical or was it because he was not with the Lord. Your misunderstanding of Paul, shows why all scripture has be read and taken as a whole. Paul shows clearly what he desires in Phil 1:

21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. 22 If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know! 23 I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; 24 but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body.
By the way it seems according to RC thinking Paul is suffering from the sin of presumption. He has no doubt where he is going after he dies.

familiar and false as the rcc teaches.

24 Then Jesus told his disciples, “If any want to become my followers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me.
catholics don't want to become followers of Him, they want to stay followers of the men of the rcc.

they don't want to deny their 'old' selves, take up their cross and follow Him.

25 For those who want to save their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake will find it. 26 For what will it profit them if they gain the whole world but forfeit their life? Or what will they give in return for their life? 27 “For the Son of Man is to come with his angels in the glory of his Father, and then he will repay everyone for what has been done.
catholics like their old lives and don't want to lose it - even for Him.

did the apostles fast and abstain? are you Jesus? do you know any catholics who are Jesus?

In 2 Cor 11 Paul describes some of the sufferings of others as he recounts the sufferings he has been enduring for Christ. He says to them...

19 For you gladly put up with fools, being wise yourselves! 20 For you put up with it when someone makes slaves of you, or preys upon you, or takes advantage of you, or puts on airs, or gives you a slap in the face.

These are regularly sufferings for Christians in many arenas. Even from other so called Christians.

In 2 Cor 11 Paul describes some of the sufferings of others as he recounts the sufferings he has been enduring for Christ. He says to them...

19 For you gladly put up with fools, being wise yourselves! 20 For you put up with it when someone makes slaves of you, or preys upon you, or takes advantage of you, or puts on airs, or gives you a slap in the face.

These are regularly sufferings for Christians in many arenas. Even from other so called Christians.
Yep empathy, Paul had empathy. Your institution has no empathy at all, look at the abuse of its victims, they were treated like criminals. The abusing priests had support from other leaders, the victims didn't.

The suffering is normal every day life in a fallen world. Oh give us all a break we in the west do not suffer at all. Being called names seriously, we all survive being called names and it is not just Christians who are called names. But Christians have the comforter and non Christians do not. I really wish RCs would understand what real suffering was, then they would have something to whine about.

At the moment the Ukrainians are all suffering Christians and non Christians. This is coming from a supposed Christian Putin. Interestingly this shows the problem, when people do not understand scriptural repentance and what a real believer is. The same as the RC leaders who hide sin and do not expose it. It leads to much suffering and unnecessary suffering.

The real suffering from Paul was not to be in heaven. Though he did have an affliction.

Back