Sharing the Gospel of Jesus Christ

Mike McK

How can Roman Catholics share the Gospel of Jesus Christ, when most of them don't even know it?
I used to post on the old Catholic Answers Forums. They had one area just for what they called "evangelization". But literally every thread there was about either recruiting someone to the Catholic Church, or keeping someone from leaving the Catholic Church.

Even though it was called "evangelization", there was never anything about evangelism or the Gospel there.

1Thess521

Catholics know the Gospel.

" Over the past twenty-five years I have asked hundreds of Catholic college students the question: If you should die tonight and God asks you why he should let you into heaven, what would you answer? The vast majority of them simply do not know the right answer to this, the most important of all questions, the very essence of Christianity. They usually do not even mention Jesus!"
-Peter Kreeft

“When I ask my “Catholic” students what they would say to God if they died tonight and God asked them why He should let them into Heaven, fewer than 5% ever even mention Jesus Christ.”
-Peter Kreeft

This means that the Church's religious education has been not a failure but an inexcusable disaster. Most reply either "God is good to everybody" or "I'm basically a good person."
If anyone out there is unsure of the correct answer, then for the love of God get out your Bible and study for your finals! To save you time—since you may die while reaching for your Bible—I will quote God's scandalously simple answer to the most important question in the world, how to get to heaven: "Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved" (Acts 16:31)."
-Peter Kreeft

romishpopishorganist

" Over the past twenty-five years I have asked hundreds of Catholic college students the question: If you should die tonight and God asks you why he should let you into heaven, what would you answer? The vast majority of them simply do not know the right answer to this, the most important of all questions, the very essence of Christianity. They usually do not even mention Jesus!"
-Peter Kreeft
Sir, I said "I know the Gospel." I can't speak to what other Catholics do or do not know.

However, sir, Catholic culture is different from Protestant culture. We do not think in the categories you think. When you frame questions to Catholics--that require a Catholic to think like a Protestant--you should not be surprised that they cannot do that.

Catholics, sir, think like CATHOLICS. Protestants, sir, think like Protestants. Our "operating programs" if you will are not compatible.

“When I ask my “Catholic” students what they would say to God if they died tonight and God asked them why He should let them into Heaven, fewer than 5% ever even mention Jesus Christ.”
-Peter Kreeft
When you ask the wrong questions, you will get the wrong answer. The question needs to be framed in a different way--since, as I said, Catholics do not think like Protestants.
This means that the Church's religious education has been not a failure but an inexcusable disaster. Most reply either "God is good to everybody" or "I'm basically a good person."
Well, duh! Amen to that!
If anyone out there is unsure of the correct answer, then for the love of God get out your Bible and study for your finals! To save you time—since you may die while reaching for your Bible—I will quote God's scandalously simple answer to the most important question in the world, how to get to heaven: "Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved" (Acts 16:31)."
-Peter Kreeft
Kreeft is right about the state of Catholic education after Vatican II. I agree with him.

As for "Believe on the Lord Jesus and you will be saved." Catholics and Protestants agree on that much.

We disagree on the details. That is--we disagree on what it means to believe on the Lord Jesus and how all that works.

romishpopishorganist

is belief in the Assumption of Mary required for salvation?
Of course it is!

This begs the question "But the Church go along just fine for 1950 years without having to believe this! Why do we have to believe it now?"

Answer: becasue we now know that the Assumption of Mary is revealed by God.

Put another way: disobedience is the sin. Once the Church has made a solemn judgement that something like the Assumption of Mary is revealed, the sin is in rejecting the authoritative judgement of the Church. Prior to 1950--there was no authoritative judgement. Catholics were free to form their own opinions about the Assumption. After 1950, that was no longer the case.

Again, sir, not rocket science.

PeanutGallery

Sir, I said "I know the Gospel." I can't speak to what other Catholics do or do not know.
Catholics, sir, think like CATHOLICS. Protestants, sir, think like Protestants. Our "operating programs" if you will are not compatible.

When you ask the wrong questions, you will get the wrong answer. The question needs to be framed in a different way--since, as I said, Catholics do not think like Protestants.
What is the gospel according to Catholics, and how do the Catholics share the gospel?

Atemi

-Peter Kreeft
The question needs to be framed in a different way--since, as I said, Catholics do not think like Protestants.

Peter Kreeft is a Catholic scholar. :LOL:

Not Catholic enough for you? So much so that he has no clue how to ask questions with your RC "operating system"?

LOL.

Atemi

What is the gospel according to Catholics

Be a Roman Catholic and be very religious and do lots of good works and you may possibly earn eternal life if you are really good enough....but you don't even have to believe in Jesus to be saved at all.

That is the "gospel" that the Catholic Church taught me personally and directly.

, and how do the Catholics share the gospel?

Most Catholics have ZERO drive to share a message they know the world already believes and practices.

Atemi

You now know? Your Masters could not figure this out all that time?

Pure gnosticism.

What other doctrines do you not now know but magically will appear in the future? You have no clue, as you admitted....even though you said all that information is public in your "Tradition."

LOL.

It must be great thinking you are smarter and know more than the Apostles themselves!

1Thess521

Of course it is!

This begs the question "But the Church go along just fine for 1950 years without having to believe this! Why do we have to believe it now?"

Put another way: disobedience is the sin. Once the Church has made a solemn judgement that something like the Assumption of Mary is revealed, the sin is in rejecting the authoritative judgement of the Church. Prior to 1950--there was no authoritative judgement. Catholics were free to form their own opinions about the Assumption. After 1950, that was no longer the case.

how often do the required beliefs for salvation change?

1Thess521

However, sir, Catholic culture is different from Protestant culture. We do not think in the categories you think. When you frame questions to Catholics--that require a Catholic to think like a Protestant--you should not be surprised that they cannot do that.

Well, duh! Amen to that!

Kreeft is right about the state of Catholic education after Vatican II. I agree with him.

As for "Believe on the Lord Jesus and you will be saved." Catholics and Protestants agree on that much.

We disagree on the details. That is--we disagree on what it means to believe on the Lord Jesus and how all that works.
Kreeft is a Catholic author and teacher

1Thess521

Oh, so, once again, hyperbole is lost on you.

Why is the concept of obedience all or nothing for you? I obey Pope Francis and the hierarchy. However, their authority and Catholic obedience to them is never absolute. When they order what they have no right to command, we do not obey.

For example: if Pope Francis were to direct that priests are now to offer blessings to gay couples, priests not only should not obey, they have a duty to disobey. If Pope Francis were to say that the Catholic Church now supports abortion, Catholics should not only not obey, they would have a duty to disobey.

So it is your well-formed conscience that is the determining factor on whether you should obey or disobey.
Are you getting nervous about the upcoming Synod?

Atemi

So it is your well-formed conscience that is the determining factor on whether you should obey or disobey.

Nailed him.

His mindset is the same as all Catholics. As I always say, they all follow a Roman Catholicism they have all made up in their own minds.

First romish says that if the Catholic Church commands something he disagrees with, he has a duty to disobey. In the next breath, without even a moment of critical thinking, he declares to that to disobey the Catholic Church is to forfeit salvation itself.

Since devout Roman Catholics do not operate from a working moral compass, contradicting oneself is something they enjoy and champion.

Victor

is belief in the Assumption of Mary required for salvation?
Of course it is!

This amazing post reveals the dependence Catholicism has in the realm of make-believe. Salvation is provided in Jesus Christ, not the Catholic rendition of Mary - and those who know the Gospel are confident in this. There is no assumption of Mary to be found in Holy Writ at all, and placing faith in a non-event is delusional at the very least.
Catholics know the Gospel.
You can't hide behind a facade of wishful thinking anymore.