Should rape by deception be legal for trans people? To have sex without telling they are trans.

Temujin

This gave me a moment's pause (thanks).

Was the UK woman incapable of informed consent?

Maybe it'd be easier if you could find a link, or maybe give me some search criteria I could use on my own (to find details of the case)...
I read it in a text book while in police training. I'll have a look, but I cannot promise anything. From memory it was the deception that was the crucial point, that her consent was sufficiently distorted by the deception to be rendered invalid. I don't think that telling your date that you are a pilot, when in fact you are a steward, would meet this standard.

BMS

This might be a bit too much for this forum, but I'm wondering how a person could have sex with another person who's trans without realising it. Wouldn't there be pretty obvious things in the private region you are or aren't expecting to find there?
Why. A trans weightlifter is competing in the womans event in the Olympics even though everyone knows he is male.

Temujin

Why. A trans weightlifter is competing in the womans event in the Olympics even though everyone knows he is male.
If "everyone knows" this, then it wouldn't be allowed. As it is allowed everyone knows that you are mistaken. If sport rules that a trans athlete can take part, then they can. It isn't for you to dictate to a sports governing body who they should allow to compete.

What your comment has to do with having sex with a trans woman, one can only guess. One wonders at the kind of sex life that inspires thoughts of Olympic weightlifting.

Tiburon

If there is criminal prosecution than that might keep some from lying. And it might keep some from trying to hurt trans people when they find out that they had sex with the same sex thinking it was the opposite sex. Also as the person in the video discusses, it might keep gays and lesbians from getting tricked too.

If a trans person does this, the other person doesn't have any recourse for what the person did to them. For now, all they can do is not have anything to do with the trans person.

Some trans people want the right to trick people into having sex with them and there not be any consequences. This is all horrible!!
I don't think the trans people necessarily see it as the right to trick people. I think it's more the case that they identify as a particular sex and now have the physical characteristics of that sex so why should they have to disclose that they were once the opposite.
Is this just a homophobic thing or do people have a legitimate right to know?
What other things should we disclose?

Thistle

And in making that point, you stated a falsehood then doubled down on it.

You were wrong and remain wrong. Rape is not a capital crime anywhere in the US.
The legislatures of 18 states wrote laws making rape a capital crime. The US constitution leaves the writing of criminal law up to the states not the federal government.

Last edited:

Bob Carabbio

Rape is not a capital crime anywhere in the US, and the Supreme Court has explicitly said that while they are both serious, they are not "similarly serious".
And the "Supreme Court" has also Explicitly said that murdering babies is legal - as long as you murder them before the third trimester. So much for the "Supreme Court".

Electric Skeptic

The legislatures of 18 states wrote laws making rape a capital crime. The US constitution leaves the writing of criminal law up to the states not the federal government.
What laws some legislature wrote some time is irrelevant. What is relevant is the law now, not at 1955.

Rape is not a capital crime anywhere in the US. You were wrong.

Thistle

I don't think the trans people necessarily see it as the right to trick people. I think it's more the case that they identify as a particular sex and now have the physical characteristics of that sex so why should they have to disclose that they were once the opposite.
Is this just a homophobic thing or do people have a legitimate right to know?
What other things should we disclose?
They're essentially saying "honest, I'm an ugly woman not a pretty man." There is no way to characterize that as "honest."