Shredding of reasonable gun control laws by courts

That’s not what I’m saying. If he was shooting at people and did all those things he was accused of, he should have to be tried and convicted of the crimes he committed, which are felonies, which would result in losing his right to posses a fire arm.

But! I don’t think one should lose their right to possess a fire arm merely because someone put a restraining order out against them. Anyone can do that. Anyone can make an allegation against you and put a restraining order out on you without going to court and having to prove you are guilty of a crime.

That’s not true. You’re overreacting.

Your appeals to emotion are irrelevant to the facts of the argument.
Can you provide links showing anyone can easily get a restraining order?

What I find is that a judge grants the application for a temporary order and sets a court date for a hearing where evidence will be heard.

• Complete the forms, describing the abusive or harassing behavior in as much detail as possible. In the forms, the victim is usually referred to as the petitioner, plaintiff, or applicant, and the abuser is called the respondent or defendant.
  • Take your forms, your ID, and identifying information about the person you seek protection from (the respondent) to your local courthouse (or the courthouse in your city that has been designated as the place where such matters are heard). You may need to sign certain forms in front of the court clerk.
  • The court clerk takes your forms and information to a judge, who decides if a temporary or ex parte restraining order is needed until a hearing on your application.
  • The court will set a date for the hearing for the permanent restraining order.
  • You'll need to give the respondent notice of the hearing, by arranging for service of process on the respondent, including the location, date, and time of the hearing. (Check to see if the police department or a court process server will serve the respondent at no cost to you.)
  • At the hearing, you'll provide evidence of the abuse or harassment, and substantiate your need for protection. The respondent can also present evidence to contest the allegations.
  • The judge will decide whether to issue the permanent restraining order, usually that same day.

Once again, your reading comprehension skills are pitiful.

You assume "reading"?

They Google up some words and slap a link up.

No need to read.
The ruling was about whether of not the state can prohibit the free exercise of the 2nd Amendment in certain places, not whether or not domestic abusers can have guns. Domestic abuse isn't even mentioned in the decision.

You continue to be a source of amusement.

I’ve done it myself! When I was young. In my college dayz. Had a fight with a boyfriend. Was really mad. Wanted to show him he can’t get away with disrespecting me. Although I’m sure I deserved it. Went to the court house and filed a report. Got a TRO. It was very simple.

My brother in law had a girlfriend that was TRO happy. She probably put one out on him like 10 times in one year. And would just keep dropping it when it got time to go to court. Really stupid. Toxic relationship. It happens.
What I find is that a judge grants the application for a temporary order and sets a court date for a hearing where evidence will be heard.
Right! So you get a TRO (or EPO), just on a mere allegation. They have to assume the accuser is telling the truth. Then what happens is… you have to go to “mediation.” And that’s usually when the accuser drops their case because they can’t prove their allegations.

He said she said stuff, ya know?
So, now that you know how easy it is to get a restraining order on someone, without having to prove the allegations, do you still think our constitutional rights should be violated because of a restraining order?

Last edited:

True, then, if both sides show up for the procedure, the judge hears and weighs the evidence.

Back