Sola Scriptura from and Orthodox perspective

Mike McK

And the Protestant/Evangelical goes to the scriptures and precedes to determine things for themselves which has resulted in many different conclusions amongst their own brethren, thus making themselves their own authority above the authority that they claim only resides in Gods Holy Word.
If a Christian considers himself "their own authority", then they're just as wrong as the Catholic who says the pope and the Magisterium is their authorty.

If a Christian considers himself "their own authority", then they're just as wrong as the Catholic who says the pope and the Magisterium is their authorty.
The non-orthodox believer is doing just that though. They are reading the scriptures and say a particular passage means this or that, so are you really trying to maintain that is not actually what is happening? Otherwise at this point in Christianity we would all be seeing the scriptures in the same manner.

Mike McK

The non-orthodox believer is doing just that though. They are reading the scriptures and say a particular passage means this or that, so are you really trying to maintain that is not actually what is happening? Otherwise at this point in Christianity we would all be seeing the scriptures in the same manner.
So, your objection is that we understand what we read.

That literacy triggers you doesn't really speak very highly for your cult.

Are you a child?
Not in age, but a child of God nonetheless.

Do you often need a priest to explain simple concepts to you?
Jesus said to love God with all your heart, treat your neighbor as yourself, and obey the Commandments and that about encapsulates His entire message to humanity. In the vain of your question above, why would I need a St. Paul or anyone else to expound upon that simple message?

Why shouldn't we be able to read something and understand it?
That is all fine and good, but sometimes we come to a part that is hard to understand, that needs further explanation and clarification. Hence the Church and the leaders of the church to guide us. Don't you have a Pastor? His job is the same as the priest's job, to guide his flock in spiritual matters.

Mike McK

Oh, OK. I thought you were Catholic or Orthodox. Good to know that's not the case.
why would I need a St. Paul or anyone else to expound upon that simple message?
Because, according to you, you cannot read it and know what it means.
This all fine and good, but sometimes we come to a part that is hard to understand, that needs further explanation and clarification.
And you can't do that?

Don't you have a Pastor?
Of course. But in Chistianity, the pastor isn't some egomaniacal idiot who tells us we're too dumb to understand what we read. He actually challenges us to read, study, and understand.

Sorry your priests treat you like infants.

His job is the same as the priest's job, to guide his flock in spiritual matters.

According to scripture, which you say you can't understand, the role of the priest is to make sacrifices on our behalf and represent us before God. That's not what a Christian pastor does.

Oh, OK. I thought you were Catholic or Orthodox. Good to know that's not the case.
I am Orthodox, a child of God as all Christians are.

Because, according to you, you cannot read it and know what it means.
In all seriousness, can we have a respectful conversation as all believers in Christ should be able to have with each other?
And you can't do that?

No I can't. Is there something wrong with that? Are you saying you do not consult with your Pastor or a fellow believer about the things in the scriptures?

You then make the following statement which I would like to answer:

"Sorry, your priests treat you like infants".

No they don't, they treat us who make up their flock with respect. They exist to conduct our worship services and minister to the members of their congregations when counsel is sought.

You then make your final statement which I would also like to answer:

"According to scripture, which you say you can't understand, the role of the priest is to make sacrifices on our behalf and represent us before God. That's not what a Christian pastor does".

So tell me what a (your) "Christian" Pastor is supposed to do? I am eager to get all viewpoints on issues such as this.

Last edited:

Mike McK

I am Orthodox, a child of God as all Christians are.
Can't be both.
In all seriousness, can we have a respectful conversation as all believers in Christ should be able to have with each other?
After the way you started? I doubt it.
No I can't.
Yes. It's indicative of a serious cognitive disability.
No they don't, they treat us who make up their flock with respect.
You haven't describe very respectful treatment.
Pray brother, tell me what a (your) "Christian" Pastor is supposed to do?
Devote himself to prayer and study of the Word, provide pastoral care, preach the Word of God.

After the way you started? I doubt it.
Please tell me what was disrespectful about the following statement?

"And the Protestant/Evangelical goes to the scriptures and precedes to determine things for themselves which has resulted in many different conclusions amongst their own brethren, thus making themselves their own authority above the authority that they claim only resides in Gods Holy Word". (Post 120)

There was no personal attack on you or anyone else in particular. It was simply a statement as to what I believe the the Protestant/Evangelical does and how they look at the Christian faith.

And then your next statement was: "If a Christian considers himself their own authority", then they're just as wrong as the Catholic who says the pope and the Magisterium is their authority". (Post 122)

My response to that was: "The non-orthodox believer is doing just that though. They are reading the scriptures and say a particular passage means this or that, so are you really trying to maintain that is not actually what is happening? Otherwise at this point in Christianity we would all be seeing the scriptures in the same manner". (Post 123)

But then somehow some of the words of the relevant post that sent you off to the races concerning disrespect that you posted are missing, (I went back and looked) but fortunately I quoted them. They are as follows:

Mike McK said:
Do you often need a priest to explain simple concepts to you?
Jesus said to love God with all your heart, treat your neighbor as yourself, and obey the Commandments and that about encapsulates His entire message to humanity. In the vain of your question above, why would I need a St. Paul or anyone else to expound upon that simple message?

Mike McK said:
Why shouldn't we be able to read something and understand it?
That is all fine and good, but sometimes we come to a part that is hard to understand, that needs further explanation and clarification. Hence the Church and the leaders of the church to guide us. Don't you have a Pastor? His job is the same as the priest's job, to guide his flock in spiritual matters.

So we can see that actually you were the initiator of the disrespectful conversation with your first words: "Are you a child" and then claim the following after my question which said:
Interested said:
"After the way you started? I doubt it". And then this: "Yes. It's indicative of a serious cognitive disability".

Personal attacks right from the get go and three times no less. It's not that I cannot take negative comments, it's that I do not wish to get into conversations where invectives are thrown about instead of debating the issue at hand. So it is clear, a respectful, polite, and positive conversation is not in the cards between us. I bid you farewell and I also wish you the best.

Mike McK

Please tell me what was disrespectful about the following statement?

"And the Protestant/Evangelical goes to the scriptures and precedes to determine things for themselves which has resulted in many different conclusions amongst their own brethren, thus making themselves their own authority above the authority that they claim only resides in Gods Holy Word". (Post 120)
Well, there was the part where you implied that the Biblical teaching of priesthood of the believer leads to a lack of unity, the part where you lied about us putting ourselves above the authority of scripture, etc.

I could make a much better case that you fools put your Church authorities over the Word of God.
There was no personal attack on you or anyone else in particular.
Just pointed it out to you.
It was simply a statement as to what I believe the the Protestant/Evangelical does and how they look at the Christian faith.
So, it was gross ignorance, not dishonesty?
So we can see that actually you were the initiator of the disrespectful conversation with your first words: "Are you a child" and then claim the following after my question which said
Actually, my post you quoted as the "initiator" was in response to your post.

Personal attacks right from the get go and three times no less.

Then I guess you shouldn't have introduced yourself by insulting others.

Last edited: