Some Christians are claiming that Jews understood God as a trinity.

sk0rpi0n

I am quoting from an article called "THE TRINITY: JEWISH OR GENTILE-ISH?" from a website called "Appleofhiseye dot com"

"Hear, O Israel, Adonai Eloheinu Adonai is one. These three are one. How can the three Names be one? Only through the perception of faith; in the vision of the Holy Spirit, in the beholding of the hidden eye alone.…So it is with the mystery of the threefold Divine manifestations designated by Adonai Eloheinu Adonai—three modes which yet form one unity." [1]

A Christian quote? Hardly. The above is taken from the Zohar, an ancient book of Jewish mysticism. The Zohar is somewhat esoteric and most contemporary Jews don't study it, but there are other Jewish books that refer to God's plurality as well.

Is that quote authentic? Where can I double check that quote in English?

The article goes on to say:

Another way to explain Genesis 1:26 is to use the Memra, or "Word" of God. The Targum Neofiti (an early Aramaic paraphrase of the Hebrew text) translates verse 27: "And the Memra of the Lord created the man in his (own) likeness." [18]

The Targum Onkelos on Deuteronomy 33:27 translates the Hebrew "underneath are the everlasting arms" as "And by His 'Memra' was the world created."

Like the personification of wisdom in Proverbs 8:22-31, the Word is often personified and assigned divine attributes, implying divine status. [19] Memra is used to describe God Himself, especially when he is revealing himself to human beings. Rabbinical thought also links the Memra to the Messiah. The New Covenant portion of the Bible reveals a similar understanding of the role of the Word in creation.

Again, is that accurate?

Open Heart

@sk0rpi0n

It is old old old for Christians to claim that Jews agree with them. And it is presumptuous. Don't fall into this trap. We think you are wrong. And you ARE wrong.

Open Heart

How am I wrong exactly?

Edit: ftr I don't agree with the ideas presented in the article.
Oh, I assumed, wrongly it seems, that you linked us to the article because it was a good argument for your position.

Are you a Christian?

And welcome to the forum. I tend to be rather frank, but none of it is meant personally, so take me with a grain of salt. :)

Jewjitzu

I am quoting from an article called "THE TRINITY: JEWISH OR GENTILE-ISH?" from a website called "Appleofhiseye dot com"

Is that quote authentic? Where can I double check that quote in English?
First off, the Zohar is not authoritative nor accepted by all religious Jews. I definitely don't, and it's origins are from the 13th/14th century written by Moses DeLeon. So, I wouldn't put too much weight on it. Also, I can't find a reference to it so, without a source, it isn't very convincing.

The article goes on to say:

Again, is that accurate?
Yeah, Christians purposely misunderstand the use of the term memra throughout all Jewish writings to point towards Jesus. It is used for the word or wisdom of God, and doesn't denote a person.