Something to be thankful for: libraries

vibise

Charles Blow has a commentary in the NYT about the importance of libraries to him and to society in general.

I ought to make clear how valuable and central libraries have been to my life and success.

The first library I ever entered was in my elementary school. We were allowed to go for one hour once a week. I remember being in awe of the space: a rectangular room lined with wooden bookshelves, stacked floor to ceiling with books.

I remember thinking as a small child that I was in a cavern of tomes written by people across time and around the globe, that each volume probably contained thousands of ideas, and I wondered how could I get all of those ideas into my mind.

I share his views. I always loved going into libraries and bookstores, and one of my happiest childhood memories was the day, right after I turned 7, that I could get my own library card.

The books in our libraries are but the tip of the iceberg of the value of these institutions. They are warm, welcoming places for every person who walks in, with no need to pay. The respect for knowledge and inquiry, the volunteers and librarians helping patrons find jobs, and health care, and friends, and passions.

Libraries are not a frill - they are a necessity for a civilized society and a thinking populace.

Back