soupmakers and soups

Oh, good! Kosher chicken soup!
But we cannot afford Kosher meats, they are extremely expensive. They had done tests on chicken soup and their is something that is beneficial from the boiling of chicken bones. I cannot remember the details.

But we cannot afford Kosher meats, they are extremely expensive. They had done tests on chicken soup and their is something that is beneficial from the boiling of chicken bones. I cannot remember the details.
I was just joking, since you wrote "Jewish" penicillin.:) I don't buy kosher meats, either. Regular goy meats are good enough for us.:p

Bone marrow is both an excellent flavoring, as well as a good source of compounds that can strengthen joints (or otherwise relieve pain in them).

I used to post to this food forum quite a bit. @balshan and @Bonnie, you both know me as a fellow foodie <3

Bone marrow is both an excellent flavoring, as well as a good source of compounds that can strengthen joints (or otherwise relieve pain in them).

I used to post to this food forum quite a bit. @balshan and @Bonnie, you both know me as a fellow foodie <3
It is good to see you return. I remember my Gran picking up our chop bones and sucking out the marrow we refused to eat, when we were kids. But you are right it is good for flavouring.

FOR BALSHAN: Thai Red Curry Noodle Soup OOPS! Garlic and Onion

My brother sent me this recipe, but I told him I can't eat it:

I never heard of Red Curry Paste. I can't eat curry. We don't have all the foods available in big cities anyway. He lives in Miami.

Last edited:
FOR BALSHAN: Thai Red Curry Noodle Soup OOPS! Garlic and Onion

My brother sent me this recipe, but I told him I can't eat it:

I never heard of Red Curry Paste. I can't eat curry. We don't have all the foods available in big cities anyway. He lives in Miami.
You can make up your own curry pastes. and those soups would be yummy, but not for me. I was taken to a Vietnamese cafe with a friend who was Vietnamese, so he ordered the real thing. It was a pho. My system reacted. I said I am sorry I can force my self to eat but I already reacting to something in the soup. I ate doing that because in Asian cultures they feel really bad about things like that. It was yummy.

You can make up your own curry pastes. and those soups would be yummy, but not for me. I was taken to a Vietnamese cafe with a friend who was Vietnamese, so he ordered the real thing. It was a pho. My system reacted. I said I am sorry I can force my self to eat but I already reacting to something in the soup. I ate doing that because in Asian cultures they feel really bad about things like that. It was yummy.
I'm not asking for details about your reaction to it, but I absolutely love pho - even though it usually doesn't love me back. It could be the hot soup mixed with the hot sauce (?). I often experience "side effects" and hour or two after lunch :D

But yes, you absolutely can make your own curry pastes. I've been making them and spice blends for years now; it's a lot of fun, and the results are (more often than not) tasty.

Please let me know if I've posted it before, but here's the recipe for the chicken tortellini soup. It contains no onions, and the garlic can be omitted. Comes together in a snap!

Chicken
  • 4 cup(s) chicken thighs - poached and shredded

The Soup
  • 1 1/2 cup(s) fresh mushrooms - cut into large bite sized slices - portobello, button/white, crimini, etc
  • 2 TBS butter (salted)
  • 2 clove(s) garlic - minced
  • 4 can(s) ls chicken stock - 14.5 oz
  • 9 oz cheese tortellini - tri-color (Angie's), frozen
  • 6 oz baby spinach - fresh, single package, roughly chopped
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper

Garnish
  • Parmesan for garnish

---

1. Bring a medium pot of water to a boil, and add the whole chicken thighs. Bring the temperature back up, boil for a minute, then turn off the heat and cover the pot. Let the chicken poach for 30 minutes, then remove and shred.

2. Heat a medium pot over medium heat. Add the butter to melt, then add the mushrooms and stir to saute - until tender. Add garlic and cook 1 minute longer.

3. Add broth and bring to a boil. Stir in tortellini and bring to a boil. Continue cooking and stirring occasionally, until the tortellini are soft and toothsome. Depending on the kind of tortellini you're using, this could take anywhere from 6-12 minutes.

4. Add the chicken, spinach and pepper. Cook for a few minutes until the spinach is wilted and the chicken heated through. Remove from heat, and serve with Parmesan.

I'm not asking for details about your reaction to it, but I absolutely love pho - even though it usually doesn't love me back. It could be the hot soup mixed with the hot sauce (?). I often experience "side effects" and hour or two after lunch :D

But yes, you absolutely can make your own curry pastes. I've been making them and spice blends for years now; it's a lot of fun, and the results are (more often than not) tasty.
Unfortunately the reactions started why I was eating it. It was yummy. I say that about curries in general I love them, but they don't love me.

Please let me know if I've posted it before, but here's the recipe for the chicken tortellini soup. It contains no onions, and the garlic can be omitted. Comes together in a snap!

Chicken
  • 4 cup(s) chicken thighs - poached and shredded

The Soup
  • 1 1/2 cup(s) fresh mushrooms - cut into large bite sized slices - portobello, button/white, crimini, etc
  • 2 TBS butter (salted)
  • 2 clove(s) garlic - minced
  • 4 can(s) ls chicken stock - 14.5 oz
  • 9 oz cheese tortellini - tri-color (Angie's), frozen
  • 6 oz baby spinach - fresh, single package, roughly chopped
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper

Garnish
  • Parmesan for garnish

---

1. Bring a medium pot of water to a boil, and add the whole chicken thighs. Bring the temperature back up, boil for a minute, then turn off the heat and cover the pot. Let the chicken poach for 30 minutes, then remove and shred.

2. Heat a medium pot over medium heat. Add the butter to melt, then add the mushrooms and stir to saute - until tender. Add garlic and cook 1 minute longer.

3. Add broth and bring to a boil. Stir in tortellini and bring to a boil. Continue cooking and stirring occasionally, until the tortellini are soft and toothsome. Depending on the kind of tortellini you're using, this could take anywhere from 6-12 minutes.

4. Add the chicken, spinach and pepper. Cook for a few minutes until the spinach is wilted and the chicken heated through. Remove from heat, and serve with Parmesan.
Oh that sounds yummy.

I never heard of Red Curry Paste. I can't eat curry.
Janice, I don't mean to ask personal questions, but why can't you eat curry?

I ask because "curry" can contain a wide variety of ingredients. Here in the US, most people recognize a curry as something gravy-like, often (but not exclusively) made with coconut milk. There are ways around this, but you can also find tomato based curries, as well as those thickened with other vegetables (ie. squash, potato, corn starch, etc). The spice level is entirely up to the cook as well.

What is it about curry that you or your system objects to?

Janice, I don't mean to ask personal questions, but why can't you eat curry?

I ask because "curry" can contain a wide variety of ingredients. Here in the US, most people recognize a curry as something gravy-like, often (but not exclusively) made with coconut milk. There are ways around this, but you can also find tomato based curries, as well as those thickened with other vegetables (ie. squash, potato, corn starch, etc). The spice level is entirely up to the cook as well.

What is it about curry that you or your system objects to?
Spicy food doesn't like me. Not a smidgen of spice likes me. And, btw, I love the taste of curry and I love the smell when it is being prepared. I don't eat Mexican spicy food either.

I also do not eat any foods in the nightshade family because avoiding them pevents inflamation. i have a bad knee and I have spinal stenosis; when I gave up the nightshade family (tomatoes, potatoes, and peppers), the pain went away. When I cheated the pain returned.

I LOVE sweetened coconut! I also LOVE spaghetti mariara and lasagna and all those Italian foods with tomato sauce. Potatoes are a past favorite; my late mother had a lot of German genes so potatoes were served most days of the week. Too bad.

Last edited:
Spicy food doesn't like me. Not a smidgen of spice likes me. And, btw, I love the taste of curry and I love the smell when it is being prepared. I don't eat Mexican spicy food either.

I also do not eat any foods in the nightshade family because avoiding them pevents inflamation. i have a bad knee and I have spinal stenosis; when I gave up te nightshade family(no tomatoes, potatoes, or peppers), the pain went away. When I cheated the pain returned.

I LOVE sweetened coconut!
Thanks, I understand better now.

I admit I usually consider it a challenge to find people recipes for foods they can't eat or don't like - so I hope I'm not being annoying when I suggest pumpkin curry. You'd have to substitute the red bell pepper with something else, but otherwise, I don't think any of the other ingredients are on your "no" list. Let me know what you think, even if you don't make it:

Oh, I understand because I was addicted to recipes when I was younger. My mother wouldn't allow me in her kitchen. So when I first got married, my husband was very patient with my lack of expertise. He was not very adventurous when it came to trying new foods though. I learned to cook his regional favorites. His parents were the ages of my grandparents and only ate regional meals (nice food but I got bored). I convinced my husband to try Hoppin' John and chicken curry. He like them both. He didn't care for bell pepers. It took years, but I changed his mind. I always laid strips on top of meatloaf, then moved them to my plate at serving time. LOL. He finally (in his fifties) started ordering bell peppers on his pizza!

But I'm old and live alone and stopped cooking. I don't enjoy cooking anymore, but I still have a hundred or so cookbooks that I might give to my teenage grandson who enjoys cooking.

I admit I usually consider it a challenge to find people recipes for foods they can't eat or don't like - so I hope I'm not being annoying when I suggest pumpkin curry. You'd have to substitute the red bell pepper with something else, but otherwise, I don't think any of the other ingredients are on your "no" list. Let me know what you think, even if you don't make it:

No cumin, tumeric, or cilantro! No more cooking, but thanks for the effort.

My husband told me that mushrooms, onions and tea were forbidden foods (a joke he made because he didn't want them EVER). And if you think that's bad! One of my three brothers didn't want vegetables to touch another food; all food had to be separated from the others! Jell-o had to be plain! Mother never bought canned pears and seldom any fresh fruit except bananas. She wouldn't try new foods! She didn't like sweet potatoes. My goodness!

Mike, do you live on the west coast of USA? I live in the midwest, but spent years on the east coast.

One of the reasons i enjoy talking about food is because we don't argue.

I know when our family gathers it is a food allergy nightmare. I cannot eat fodmaps and I have a reaction to the chemical make up of peppers and coffee. Even a mocha will make me sick. I used to be able to eat cooked peppers and apples but now cannot. One daughter in law cannot eat chicken. My son cannot eat meats. Another shell fish, another fish. And another daughter in law cannot eat glutens. It is fun. Oh my husband cannot have sulphates and a son cannot eat them. But we all gather and have fun despite the food hurdles.

Back