soupmakers and soups

Oh, I understand because I was addicted to recipes when I was younger. My mother wouldn't allow me in her kitchen. So when I first got married, my husband was very patient with my lack of expertise. He was not very adventurous when it came to trying new foods though. I learned to cook his regional favorites. His parents were the ages of my grandparents and only ate regional meals (nice food but I got bored). I convinced my husband to try Hoppin' John and chicken curry. He like them both. He didn't care for bell pepers. It took years, but I changed his mind. I always laid strips on top of meatloaf, then moved them to my plate at serving time. LOL. He finally (in his fifties) started ordering bell peppers on his pizza!

But I'm old and live alone and stopped cooking. I don't enjoy cooking anymore, but I still have a hundred or so cookbooks that I might give to my teenage grandson who enjoys cooking.
I hope you find some great recipes for one. I am sure you grandson will enjoy the cook books. Food is amazing the way it brings us memories. I wish I had learned to cook my nonna's recipes but we never got over our language problems. I never felt confident with my understanding of conversations around me not in English. My nonna would just sit next to me, using her limited English but I felt her love. She asked how my mother was. Why she was alive my grandfather would speak to us, after she died he turned his back on us in the street.

But my nonna was a great cook.

Mike, do you live on the west coast of USA? I live in the midwest, but spent years on the east coast.

One of the reasons i enjoy talking about food is because we don't argue.
I'm a noreaster. through and through. I don't mean that in terms of stereotypes; I've simply lived in MA for most of my life.

Yes, I agree about the not arguing thing. I normally don't want to argue with people about stuff I disagree with, but a few people end up saying things I really disagree with, and that gets me started, etc etc etc.

Food is one of those subjects where EVERYONE can find some common ground, or at least something that piques their interest.

Having spent time in here talking with you and plenty of other people I might otherwise disagree with over other issues, I can truthfully tell you that if you ever find me saying something offensive, you can call my attention to it, and I'll apologize to one extent or another. I value finding common ground, and hate the idea that I might say something bad elsewhere that offends the e-friends I've made here.

Regardless of religion or it's lack, people need to focus on the things which unite us, rather than the things that drive us apart. Food is definitely one of those things <3

I'm a noreaster. through and through. I don't mean that in terms of stereotypes; I've simply lived in MA for most of my life.

Yes, I agree about the not arguing thing. I normally don't want to argue with people about stuff I disagree with, but a few people end up saying things I really disagree with, and that gets me started, etc etc etc.

Food is one of those subjects where EVERYONE can find some common ground, or at least something that piques their interest.

Having spent time in here talking with you and plenty of other people I might otherwise disagree with over other issues, I can truthfully tell you that if you ever find me saying something offensive, you can call my attention to it, and I'll apologize to one extent or another. I value finding common ground, and hate the idea that I might say something bad elsewhere that offends the e-friends I've made here.

Regardless of religion or it's lack, people need to focus on the things which unite us, rather than the things that drive us apart. Food is definitely one of those things <3
LOL! I never would have guessed! But I can tell you right now, that MA is a far cry from a downeaster which my hubby was. Ayuh. I'm really pleased to imagine you being from the "South" as a downeaster might say. My brother-in-law closest in age to my husband lived in Norton and raised 2 sons there. BTW, I had lots of ancestors in MA (in Salem, too) but way more in CT.

Do you people still order grinders? My mother-in-law was down south and tried to order a frappe (one syllable). I couldn't translate for her because I thought frappe was two syllables and I didn't know she wanted a milkshake. Having lived in various places, i forgot to tell my husband some of the differences in names of drinks. One time he got me a soda which had ice cream in it. He took it back and the manager called him "a foreigner!" LOL. I love it!

WARNING: my typing is so terrible it looks like I can't spell.

Last edited:
LOL! I never would have guessed! But I can tell you right now, that MA is a far cry from a downeaster which my hubby was. Ayuh. I'm really pleased to imagine you being from the "South" as a downeaster might say. My brother-in-law closest in age to my husband lived in Norton and raised 2 sons there.

Do you people still order grinders? My mother-in-law was down south and tried to order a frappe (one syllable). I couldn't translete for her because I though frappe was two syllables and I didn't know she wanted a milkshake. Having lived in various places, i forgot to tell my husband some of the diferences in names of drinks. One time he got me a soda which had ice cream in it. He took it back and the manager called him "a foreigner!" LOL. I love it!
We are the same here we call a fried potato slice a potato cake, in other states it is called a scallop. Why I do not know?

We are the same here we call a fried potato slice a potato cake, in other states it is called a scallop. Why I do not know?
Oh, I love our language! A scallop might come from the ocean or be a curve sewn at the bottom of an apron. Or you could make scalloped potates (sliced with milk poured over) and baked in the oven. My sister liked to make potato pancakes with shredded potatoes.

In Pennsylvania someone asked me if we like ziti. I wasn't sure but thought so. It was a variation of that macaroni recipe by RiJoRi.

Last edited:
I hope you find some great recipes for one. I am sure you grandson will enjoy the cook books. Food is amazing the way it brings us memories. I wish I had learned to cook my nonna's recipes but we never got over our language problems. I never felt confident with my understanding of conversations around me not in English. My nonna would just sit next to me, using her limited English but I felt her love. She asked how my mother was. Why she was alive my grandfather would speak to us, after she died he turned his back on us in the street.

But my nonna was a great cook.
Oh, I'm sure she was. And affectionate, too. My very German-gened relatives didn't show much affection. But they had extemely immaculte homes.

Yep Nonna's place was loud and there was always the smell of food.

Yep language is hilarious. my husband often get a laugh from street signs. We drive on roads. We all speak English but use words differently. It makes me laugh.

My husband saw a bumper sticker that read "The more people I meet the better I like my dog." He agreed with it. I sure am glad he didn't have a dog!

BTW, do bumper stickers and signs read or talk?

My husband saw a bumper sticker that read "The more people I meet the better I like my dog." He agreed with it. I sure am glad he didn't have a dog!

BTW, do bumper stickers and signs read or talk?
Well they have to be read, what does that mean????

My husband loved this recipe:

Fisherman's Chowder

2 ounces salt pork, diced
1 medium onion, diced
3 medium potatoes, pared, and diced
1/2 cup(or more?) water
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon white pepper

1 pound cod fillets, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
2 cups milk
1 tablespoon butter or margarine

Cook salt pork in Dutch oven over medium heat until golden; stir in onion. Cook until onion is tender, about 15 minutes. Add potatoes, water, salt and pepper. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer covered 10 minutes.

Add fish to potato mixture. Cook covered over medium heat until fish and potatoes are tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in milk and butter; heat until chowder is hot.
4 servings

Sphere magazine, April 1977, p. 32

My husband loved this recipe:

Fisherman's Chowder

2 ounces salt pork, diced
1 medium onion, diced
3 medium potatoes, pared, and diced
1/2 cup(or more?) water
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon white pepper

1 pound cod fillets, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
2 cups milk
1 tablespoon butter or margarine

Cook salt pork in Dutch oven over medium heat until golden; stir in onion. Cook until onion is tender, about 15 minutes. Add potatoes, water, salt and pepper. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer covered 10 minutes.

Add fish to potato mixture. Cook covered over medium heat until fish and potatoes are tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in milk and butter; heat until chowder is hot.
4 servings

Sphere magazine, April 1977, p. 32
That looks interesting, my husband will not eat pork. I like cod though.

I liked:

Old-fashioned Potato Soup
With Dry Rivels

4 medium-sized potatoes
1 1/2 quarts water
2 tablespoons butter
Salt
1/2 cup flour
1 egg
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup cream

Cook diced potatotes in salted water until soft. Add butter.
To make rivels, rub egg and flour together, then add milk.
These are best made by cutting through mixture with two forks.
Drop rivels, which are no larger than a cherry stone, into boiling potatoes, stirring to prevent packing together.
Cook 5 minutes with kettle covered.
Add 1/2 cup cream.
Garnish with parsley or pieces of crisp bacon.

Mennonite Community Cookbook, copyright 1950 and 1957, p. 40

I liked:

Old-fashioned Potato Soup
With Dry Rivels

4 medium-sized potatoes
1 1/2 quarts water
2 tablespoons butter
Salt
1/2 cup flour
1 egg
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup cream

Cook diced potatotes in salted water until soft. Add butter.
To make rivels, rub egg and flour together, then add milk.
These are best made by cutting through mixture with two forks.
Drop rivels, which are no larger than a cherry stone, into boiling potatoes, stirring to prevent packing together.
Cook 5 minutes with kettle covered.
Add 1/2 cup cream.
Garnish with parsley or pieces of crisp bacon.

Mennonite Community Cookbook, copyright 1950 and 1957, p. 40
Yummy. I like pumpkin soup but I cannot eat a lot of it. My husband would just make it up. So many times people will ask him for the recipe and he cannot remember all he did.

• 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 brown onion, diced
  • 600g pumpkin, 2cm pieces
  • 100g potatoes, 2cm pieces
  • 550ml vegetable stock
  • 200ml cream
  • 4 pieces bread, to serve

DIRECTIONS​

1. Place the garlic, onion, pumpkin, potato, vegetable stock and cream into the soup maker jug.
  2. Place the soup maker blending lid on top and secure to the base.
  3. Select the ‘SMOOTH’ soup setting and then select the ‘START’ button.
  4. Serve soup with fresh bread.
Sorry I forgot to get the link I used for the recipe.

I prefer to garnish with bacon, swirl of sour cream and chopped parsley. I also like to add things like curry or cinnamon to the soup.

I like bacon and am not adverse to pork.

Last edited:
Back