Space Images

Temujin

I'm sure I'm revealing my ignorance here, but... why does the Sun cast a shadow which looks like an Idaho potato?
What you are seeing is the Mars moon, (not sure which one) passing in front of the sun. The moon is the shape of a potato. It looks like a shadow because there is no light falling on the face that is towards the camera. For the same effect, take a real potato and hold it so that it partially obscures a light bulb.

Our ideas of eclipses are skewed because the size of Earth's moon's disc is almost exactly the same size as the disc of the sun.

inertia

CNET (5/12/2022)

Astronomers Reveal First Ever Image of the Milky Way's Black Hole​

Another test of General Relativity - confirmed

"
I wish I could tell you that the second time is as good as the first, when imaging black holes. But that wouldn't be true -- it is actually better," said Feryal Özel, an astrophysicist at the University of Arizona and part of the EHT Collaboration.

Today, the world bears witness to the fruits of their labor and it's every bit as groundbreaking as expected. This dazzling light, swirling orange around a shadowy circle, traveled more than 26,000 years to reach us. It was birthed at the edge of Sgr A* when Earth's northern ice sheets reached as far as Manhattan, cave bears still roamed Europe and Homo sapiens settlements were being built from mammoth bones.

"

Introducing Sagittarius A*

See: timestamp 2.24

The age of imaging algorithms has started. I am expecting many more images in the future that couldn't be produced with diffraction-limited systems alone.

___

Last edited: