Spices applied after Jesus' death? Makes zero sense.

Jewjitzu

Burial spices would have been applied before the burial to aide in slowing down decomposing, preparation, etc.

Why apply it after 3 days? Seems like a contradiction in the tomb story...

Burial spices would have been applied before the burial to aide in slowing down decomposing, preparation, etc.

Why apply it after 3 days? Seems like a contradiction in the tomb story...
You couldn't apply it during Sabbath...Jesus was taken down at the ninth hour...Sabbath's beginning is just hours away.

How does this answer the question of why spices would be applied to a dead body 3 days after death?
Where is the anointing of the bodies of the dead found in the Torah? Look and see if you can tell me. It isn't there.

I'll show you where contact with the dead makes one unclean, and that on Shabbat Pesach, excluding them from the meal.

You're now making issue of that which isn't even Torah.

It doesn't. That's why it's a made-up story. Not only that, for tzniut reasons, women wouldn't apply spices to a male body.
Prove it with scripture.

You are more full of presumption and tradition than scripture here. Whatever you need to deride the Man, He was clearly more to his contemporaries than your derision allows.

Prove it with scripture.
You can see aspects of it with married women covering their hair.

Jewish law encompasses Deut 17:8-13, so what's been deemed by the Rabbis as necessary, is done.

You are more full of presumption and tradition than scripture here. Whatever you need to deride the Man, He was clearly more to his contemporaries than your derision allows.
Nope, it is what it is. For tzniut reasons, there's a belief that Mary Magdelen was actually married to Jesus and the reason she was applying the spices.

But again, applying to a dead body makes zero sense after 3 days.

You can see aspects of it with married women covering their hair.

Jewish law encompasses Deut 17:8-13, so what's been deemed by the Rabbis as necessary, is done.
As I said, you cannot prove it.

It isn't scripture, only presumption.

Nope, it is what it is. For tzniut reasons, there's a belief that Mary Magdelen was actually married to Jesus and the reason she was applying the spices.
That is a gnostic belief that is pure and utter Dan Brown nonsense. The gnostics that proposed the rumor are an enemy to all faith, including yours. Dan Brown pretty much covered their perverse deception in the DaVinci code.

Jesus would never have married. He was already betrothed to a Bride, and He died on Her behalf.

But again, applying to a dead body makes zero sense after 3 days.
I suggest that you are not culturally positioned to lend credibility to your theory. I'll go with the eyewitness accounts.

As I said, you cannot prove it.
Scripture doesn't contain everything. The common practice was what I said.

It isn't scripture, only presumption.
The practice of the day. Calculus isn't in scripture either, and neither is the trinity. Prove it.

That is a gnostic belief that is pure and utter Dan Brown nonsense. The gnostics that proposed the rumor are an enemy to all faith, including yours. Dan Brown pretty much covered their perverse deception in the DaVinci code.
Nope. These tzniut laws are practiced and part of Jewish law.

Jesus would never have married. He was already betrothed to a Bride, and He died on Her behalf.
Too bad. He has yet to fulfill the law of Kings, Deut 17:14-20, then.

I suggest that you are not culturally positioned to lend credibility to your theory. I'll go with the eyewitness accounts.
It's evident you know nothing of Jewish culture and the customs of the time.

It's probably best for you to go on another 6 month hiatus.

Where is the anointing of the bodies of the dead found in the Torah? Look and see if you can tell me. It isn't there.

I'll show you where contact with the dead makes one unclean, and that on Shabbat Pesach, excluding them from the meal.

You're now making issue of that which isn't even Torah.
I do not know the ins and outs of all the burial traditions of the time. But Jujitzu's question remains -- WHY would someone go to apply spices THREE DAYS after the burial?

I do not know the ins and outs of all the burial traditions of the time. But Jujitzu's question remains -- WHY would someone go to apply spices THREE DAYS after the burial?
Simply put, you answered for me: I don't know the ins and outs of all the burial traditions of the time...and they fascinate me, but I've never pursued that study, even when I was in seminary.

There are more questions I have than just that...John says that Joseph of Arimathea and Nicodemus did go in and anoint the body before they shut the tomb. In John 19 it says, "38Afterward, Joseph of Arimathea, who was a disciple of Jesus (but secretly for fear of the Jews), asked Pilate to let him remove the body of Jesus. Pilate gave him permission, so he came and removed His body. 39Nicodemus, who had previously come to Jesus at night, also brought a mixture of myrrh and aloes, about seventy-five pounds.i 40So they took the body of Jesus and wrapped it in linen cloths with the spices, according to the Jewish burial custom."

Why would the women come to wrap the body when that had already been done? And...as you say...what exactly was "the Jewish burial custom?"

Scripture doesn't contain everything. The common practice was what I said.
That's why the argument is immaterial. It isn't scripture.

And you know something of the common practices of the day? From what authority do you speak?
The practice of the day. Calculus isn't in scripture either, and neither is the trinity. Prove it.
Cite the practice with authoritative references. I wasn't aware that we were discussing either calculus or the trinity. I'll do the Trinity with you any time, since He's throughout the Tenakh.
Nope. These tzniut laws are practiced and part of Jewish law.
You forgot what we were talking about. Jesus never married Mary of Magdala. Ever...It's just another ancient unbeliever's bunny trail.

Too bad. He has yet to fulfill the law of Kings, Deut 17:14-20, then.
Wahahaha....You're hilarious. Like Solomon fulfilled that law?

Jesus did better than Solomon. No horses but another's donkey, humble and riding on it. No wives but a Bride-to-be.
It's evident you know nothing of Jewish culture and the customs of the time.
Shared ignorance is a good thing. It's clear you're making stuff up to press "superior" authority that you don't have.

It's probably best for you to go on another 6 month hiatus.
I'm glad you missed me.

No, just before his burial. Afterwards is contradictory.
No....it seem as if funeral rites were performed in haste by Joseph of Arimathea and Nicodemus. That is the body was annoited with only a mixture of myrrh and aloes.
After the Sabbath had past the women came to finish the job of anointing and swathing him in a proper manner.

So, just how is that contradictory?

There's no need to if it was previously done.
So this is a great question...I've asked for years, and waited for the answer. It would be nice if someone knew the customs of the day, and didn't just claim knowledge they don't have on the basis of their own pride in their lack thereof.

That's why the argument is immaterial. It isn't scripture.
Then I don't have to share with you anything that isn't considered by you as scripture.

And you know something of the common practices of the day? From what authority do you speak?
Cite the practice with authoritative references.
Why? You don't recognize anything outside of your scripture. So, there's no sense in showing you anything.

I wasn't aware that we were discussing either calculus or the trinity.
It shows how ridiculous the argument is to not acknowledge other sources of knowledge outside of scripture.

I'll do the Trinity with you any time, since He's throughout the Tenakh.
Sure. Show me the term trinity anywhere in scripture?

You forgot what we were talking about. Jesus never married Mary of Magdala. Ever...It's just another ancient unbeliever's bunny trail.
That's interesting. But the Talpiot tomb ossuarys show one for her, Jesus, and their son.

Wahahaha....You're hilarious. Like Solomon fulfilled that law?
Whether or not, the law still applies. Is Jesus going to fulfill it since heaven and earth are still here?

Jesus did better than Solomon. No horses but another's donkey, humble and riding on it. No wives but a Bride-to-be. Shared ignorance is a good thing. It's clear you're making stuff up to press "superior" authority that you don't have.
Solomon sat on the throne, Jesus didnt.

I'm glad you missed me.
Rotfl...

No....it seem as if funeral rites were performed in haste by Joseph of Arimathea and Nicodemus. That is the body was annoited with only a mixture of myrrh and aloes.
After the Sabbath had past the women came to finish the job of anointing and swathing him in a proper manner.

So, just how is that contradictory?
Once 3 days have past, there is no use in it.

Back