Spurgeon's contradictions and idolatry

Since Calvinists believe that people can reject something that was never offered to them, that means you can punish a stranger who didn't stay at your house because you never offerred him a place to stay at your house. lol. So in their backwards theology, Calvinists believe in a god who punishes people for rejecting an atonement that was never made for them, which thankfully is not the God of the Bible who offers his mercy to ALL. (Rom. 11:32). Those chosen to receive it through faith will be saved and those who REJECT his offer will be condemned. VERY simple. (Jn 3:16).

So it's no surprise that Calvinists constantly contradict themselves. Here are just some of C.H. Spurgeons's contraditions:

“Most atrocious things have been spoken about the character and spiritual condition of John Wesley, the modern prince of Arminians. I can only say concerning him that, while I detest many of the doctrines which he preached, yet for the man himself I have a reverence second to no Wesleyan; and if there were wanted two apostles to be added to the number of the twelve, I do not believe that there could be found two men more fit to be so added than George Whitfield and John Wesley. (C. H. Spurgeon's Autobiography, Vol. 1, p. 173, in "A Defence Of Calvinism," The Banner Of Truth Trust edition, bold added)”

So Spurgeon believed that people with a detestable doctrine should be added to the number of the apostles which is an INSULT to Jesus and the apostles! Yet the following quote from Spurgeon says this:

"I do not serve the God of the Arminians at all; I have nothing to do with him, and I do not bow down before the Baal they have set up; he is not my God, nor shall he ever be; I fear him not, nor tremble at his presence." (Sermons Preached and Revised by the Rev. C. H. Spurgeon, sixth series, p. 241)

So Spurgeon says that the "God of Arminians is not his God, but he thinks that the "prince of Arminians" should be added to the number of the 12 apostles!

In this quote Spuregoen directly contradicts Jesus in Mt. 7:13-14 who says that the road to life is NARROW and the road to destruction is WIDE:

I believe there will be more in Heaven than in hell. If anyone asks me why I think so, I answer, because Christ, in everything, is to "have the pre-eminence", and I cannot conceive how He could have the pre-eminence if there are to be more in the dominions of Satan than in Paradise. "(C. H. Spurgeon's Autobiography, Vol. 1, p. 171, in "A Defence Of Calvinism," bold added)

Here, Spurgeon's idolatry of Calvin closely resembles the Catholic idolatry of the pope even though Calvin believed in infant baptismal regeneration which is universal salvation and Calvin also supported murder. But more troubling, Spurgeon hails Calvin as greater than the apostles! Here's what Spurgeon said. (Notice that he uses words to describe Calvin that Calvinists claim are reserved for God alone):

“Among all those who have been born of women, there has not risen a greater one than John Calvin; no age, before him ever produced his equal, and no age afterwards has seen his rival. In theology, he stands alone, shining like a bright fixed star, while other leaders and teachers can only circle round him, at a great distance — as comets go streaming through space — with nothing like his glory or his permanence” . . . “the longer I live the clearer does it appear that John Calvin’s system is the nearest to perfection.”

~ Charles Spurgeon

Ah sorry, Mr. Spurgeon, but glory and permanence only describe GOD.

So TULIP is nothing but a tangled web of deceit and contradicgtions. People should JUST stick to the Bible and they will see that election, predestination, total depravity and perseverance of the saints are ALL BIBLICAL but limited atonement and irresistible grace are NOT biblical. So don't follow PEOPLE, follow Christ ALONE in Scripture and you won't idolize and revere people.

Last edited:

Theo1689

Some interesting stuff I hadn't heard about Spurgeon before, although I feel your style is a tad bit unnecessarily polemical.

Ya think?!

I'm relieved you accept total depravity as it seems it is going out of fashion these days,

Amen!

but perseverance of the saints is certainly not Biblical at all.

John 10:28-29.
Luke 15:3-10.
Rom. 8:1.
John 6:44.
John 3:16.
John 11:26.

Just to name a few.

I don't know how this idea has made such inroads into so many.

Because the Bible teaches it?!

You keep mentioning that infant baptismal regeneration means universalism and, although I don't agree with it, I'm really have trouble connecting the dots on that one; are you implying every infant ever has been baptized?

IKR?

It's probably best to stick to other arguments in our attempt to persuade as really there is terribly compromised Christian teachers in all theologies.

Except hers, of course...
Unlike the rest of us, she has "perfect" theology.

Theo1689

Oh really? Then what does the word "world" mean in Jn 3:16 and 1 Jn 2:2 if you now say it doesn't mean ONLY the elect?

I'm sorry that you don't understand how translations work.
The word, "kosmos" does NOT mean "elect".
It never has, it never will.

However, the meanings of words depend on the CONTEXT.
And the CONTEXT of John 3:16 is, "everyone who believes" (pas ho pisteuwn).
That is the QUALIFIER of "world" in John 3:16.

It would then HAVE to mean the non-elect too, would it not?

<sigh>
You're not trying to understand our view.
You're simply trying to railroad people into admitting that your MISINTERPRETATION of what we believe is actually correct, when it's not.

If so, then that negates your whole theology that Jesus died ONLY for the elect. :)

<sigh>
Not at all.

So which is it?

That's like asking, "You either stopped beating your kid, or you haven't stopped beating your kid. Which is it?"

It's a rigged question.
And it's dishonest.

Theo1689

Since I know that Jesus loves everyone, then I do too.

I love everyone, not because Jesus does (Scripture never teaches that, btw), but simply because my Lord commands me to, and I obey my Lord.

So I can overlook offenses even from people who constantly make false accusations against me...even someone who misrepresents me by saying that I imply that there will be billions at the wedding banquet

Nobody made that claim about you.
You are misrepresenting people again.

Again, there is a reason CARM rules require a linked quote when you make claims about what other posters allegedly say. You KNOW you are misrepresenting the poster, which is why you refuse to provide the direct quote.

when I said no such thing nor do I even believe it since I don't believe in universal savation nor is Christ's death for the non-elect universal salvation either.

You have said time after time that you believe in universal atonement.
And that is comparable to providing meals for "the whole world", even when you know (God has foreknowledge, after all) that they won't show up.

So I don't report them because I'm not vindictive.

You don't report it because there is nothing to report.
But I'm not missing your virtue signalling and your boasting about yourself.

I expect it because Jesus tells us we will be hated.

And that's why I expect all your insults towards me, such as "blasphemous", "twisting the Bible", "not believing the Bible", etc. etc.

You definitely do not have the "high moral ground" here. You're the one who came here guns a'blazing insulting anyone who disagreed with you about theology.

So I pray for my enemies and continue to do so no matter how mean-spirited and vindictive they are. In fact, they need prayer the most.

More insults by you.
Why am I not surprised?

Theo1689

Notice that this poster falsely claimed she was going to stop responding to me, but she can't help herself, so she simply doesn't quote me, so that she can continue to respond to me without admitting that she's responding to me.

Sad.

So the bottom line is if the words "whole world" in 1 Jn 2:2 do NOT mean "only the elect, then by default they HAVE to include the non-elect too.

Wrong.
This is nothing but rationalization.
You can refer to the same group in different ways.

Ironically, you earlier falsely accused me of concentrating on words over meaning, but here you are doing the EXACT same thing.

Sad.

That's not only simple logic, that's the only rational conclusion.

I prefer SCRIPTURE.
Sorry that you don't.

So I'm not going to listen to people who talk out of both sides of their mouths then continue to accuse others of wrong-doing while they continue to contradict themselves and deceive others.

That's good advice, not to listen to yourself.

The Bible is clear that Jesus died for everyone

Actually, you are wrong again.

You are simply trying to REDEFINE "world" to mean, "every single individual" (that's an example of you TWISTING the Bible, btw), when it nowhere says or means that.

but only those chosen to believe that will be saved. If that's too hard for Calvinists, then that's their problem, not mine.

You are 100% correct.
If it is a "problem", then it is OUR "problem", and none of your business.

brightfame52

So the bottom line is if the words "whole world" in 1 Jn 2:2 do NOT mean "only the elect, then by default they HAVE to include the non-elect too. That's not only simple logic, that's the only rational conclusion. So I'm not going to listen to people who talk out of both sides of their mouths then continue to accuse others of wrong-doing while they continue to contradict themselves and deceive and attack others. The Bible is clear that Jesus died for everyone but only those chosen to believe that will be saved. If that's too hard for Calvinists, then that's their problem, not mine.
They do mean only the Elect, from amongst the jews and the rest of the world.

His clay

Since Calvinists believe that people can reject something that was never offered to them, that means you can punish a stranger who didn't stay at your house because you never offerred him a place to stay at your house. lol. So in their backwards theology, Calvinists believe in a god who punishes people for rejecting an atonement that was never made for them, which thankfully is not the God of the Bible who offers his mercy to ALL. (Rom. 11:32). Those chosen to receive it through faith will be saved and those who REJECT his offer will be condemned. VERY simple. (Jn 3:16).

So it's no surprise that Calvinists constantly contradict themselves. Here are just some of C.H. Spurgeons's contraditions:

“Most atrocious things have been spoken about the character and spiritual condition of John Wesley, the modern prince of Arminians. I can only say concerning him that, while I detest many of the doctrines which he preached, yet for the man himself I have a reverence second to no Wesleyan; and if there were wanted two apostles to be added to the number of the twelve, I do not believe that there could be found two men more fit to be so added than George Whitfield and John Wesley. (C. H. Spurgeon's Autobiography, Vol. 1, p. 173, in "A Defence Of Calvinism," The Banner Of Truth Trust edition, bold added)”

So Spurgeon believed that people with a detestable doctrine should be added to the number of the apostles which is an INSULT to Jesus and the apostles! Yet the following quote from Spurgeon says this:

"I do not serve the God of the Arminians at all; I have nothing to do with him, and I do not bow down before the Baal they have set up; he is not my God, nor shall he ever be; I fear him not, nor tremble at his presence." (Sermons Preached and Revised by the Rev. C. H. Spurgeon, sixth series, p. 241)

So Spurgeon says that the "God of Arminians is not his God, but he thinks that the "prince of Arminians" should be added to the number of the 12 apostles!

In this quote Spuregoen directly contradicts Jesus in Mt. 7:13-14 who says that the road to life is NARROW and the road to destruction is WIDE:

I believe there will be more in Heaven than in hell. If anyone asks me why I think so, I answer, because Christ, in everything, is to "have the pre-eminence", and I cannot conceive how He could have the pre-eminence if there are to be more in the dominions of Satan than in Paradise. "(C. H. Spurgeon's Autobiography, Vol. 1, p. 171, in "A Defence Of Calvinism," bold added)

Here, Spurgeon's idolatry of Calvin closely resembles the Catholic idolatry of the pope even though Calvin believed in infant baptismal regeneration which is universal salvation and Calvin also supported murder. But more troubling, Spurgeon hails Calvin as greater than the apostles! Here's what Spurgeon said. (Notice that he uses words to describe Calvin that Calvinists claim are reserved for God alone):

“Among all those who have been born of women, there has not risen a greater one than John Calvin; no age, before him ever produced his equal, and no age afterwards has seen his rival. In theology, he stands alone, shining like a bright fixed star, while other leaders and teachers can only circle round him, at a great distance — as comets go streaming through space — with nothing like his glory or his permanence” . . . “the longer I live the clearer does it appear that John Calvin’s system is the nearest to perfection.”

~ Charles Spurgeon

So TULIP is nothing but a tangled web of deceit and contradicgtions. People should JUST stick to the Bible and they will see that election, predestination, total depravity and perseverance of the saints are ALL BIBLICAL but limited atonement and irresistible grace are NOT biblical. So don't follow PEOPLE, follow Christ ALONE in Scripture and you won't idolize and revere people.
"So Spurgeon believed that people with a detestable doctrine should be added to the number of the apostles which is an INSULT to Jesus and the apostles! Yet the following quote from Spurgeon says this:"

The apostle Peter was criticized by Paul in the book of Galatians for detestable doctrine. According to your logic, Jesus insulted Himself by choosing Peter, who denied Him 3 times. Did you forget that Jesus also chose Judas?

His clay

~ Charles Spurgeon

"Ah sorry, Mr. Spurgeon, but glory and permanence only describe GOD."

And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another. For this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit. (2Cor 3:18 ESV)