St. Justin Martyr and the Eucharist

Maxtar

CHAP. LXVI.–OF THE EUCHARIST.

"And this food is called among us Eukaristia(5) [the Eucharist], of which no one is allowed to partake but the man who believes that the things which we teach are true, and who has been washed with the washing that is for the remission of sins, and unto regeneration, and who is so living as Christ has enjoined. For not as common bread and common drink do we receive these; but in like manner as Jesus Christ our Saviour, having been made flesh by the Word of God, had both flesh and blood for our salvation, so likewise have we been taught that the food which is blessed by the prayer of His word, and from which our blood and flesh by transmutation are nourished, is the flesh and blood of that Jesus who was made flesh."(6)

Well, I see no mistaking what this particular ECF meant when teaching about Holy Communion. It's the real deal, no mere symbol as some like to claim.

To finish:

"For the apostles, in the memoirs composed by them, which are called Gospels, have thus delivered unto us what was enjoined upon them; that Jesus took bread, and when He had given thanks, said, “This do ye in remembrance of Me,(7) this is My body;” and that, after the same manner, having taken the cup and given thanks, He said, “This is My blood;” and gave it to them alone".

Believe Jesus and His words my friends, believe Jesus!

OldShepherd

"And this food is called among us Eukaristia(5) [the Eucharist], of which no one is allowed to partake but the man who believes that the things which we teach are true, and who has been washed with the washing that is for the remission of sins, and unto regeneration, and who is so living as Christ has enjoined. For not as common bread and common drink do we receive these; but in like manner as Jesus Christ our Saviour, having been made flesh by the Word of God, had both flesh and blood for our salvation, so likewise have we been taught that the food which is blessed by the prayer of His word, and from which our blood and flesh by transmutation are nourished, is the flesh and blood of that Jesus who was made flesh."(6)
Well, I see no mistaking what this particular ECF meant when teaching about Holy Communion. It's the real deal, no mere symbol as some like to claim.
To finish:
"For the apostles, in the memoirs composed by them, which are called Gospels, have thus delivered unto us what was enjoined upon them; that Jesus took bread, and when He had given thanks, said, “This do ye in remembrance of Me,(7) this is My body;” and that, after the same manner, having taken the cup and given thanks, He said, “This is My blood;” and gave it to them alone".
Matthew 26:27-29
27 And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it;
28 For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.
29 But I say unto you, I will not drink henceforth of this fruit of the vine, until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom.

Mark 14:24-25
24 And he said unto them, This is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many.
25 Verily I say unto you, I will drink no more of the fruit of the vine, until that day that I drink it new in the kingdom of God.​
Note in both passages after Jesus said "this is my blood of the new testament" He still referred to it as "the fruit of the vine."
Irenaeus [A.D. 120-202.] Against Heresies. Book V. Chap. XXXIII.[student of John]
1. [Christ], after He had given thanks while holding the cup, and had drunk of it, and given it to the disciples, said to them: “Drink ye all of it: this is My blood of the new covenant, which shall be shed for many for the remission of sins. But I say unto you, I will not drink henceforth of the fruit of this vine, until that day when I will drink it new with you in my Father’s kingdom.[/color]” (Mat_26:27) Thus, then, He will Himself renew the inheritance of the earth, and will re-organize the mystery of the glory of [His] sons; as David says, “He who hath renewed the face of the earth.” (Psa_104:30) He promised to drink of the fruit of the vine with His disciples, thus indicating both these points: the inheritance of the earth in which the new fruit of the vine is drunk, and the resurrection of His disciples in the flesh. For the new flesh which rises again is the same which also received the new cup. And He cannot by any means be understood as drinking of the fruit of the vine when settled down with his [disciples] above in a super-celestial place; nor, again, are they who drink it devoid of flesh, for to drink of that which flows from the vine pertains to flesh, and not spirit.​
This ECF who was a student of John, quotes Jesus saying "this is My blood of the new covenant" then referring to it as "the fruit of the vine." Then Irenaeus refers to it as "the fruit of the vine" four times.

BJ Bear

To finish:

That is why the church has historically used the prepositions in, or with, or under with regard to the body and blood and bread and wine. The Real Presence has always been affirmed, but transubstantiation is a recent and novel explanation or description.

Maxtar

That is why the church has historically used the prepositions in, or with, or under with regard to the body and blood and bread and wine. The Real Presence has always been affirmed, but transubstantiation is a recent and novel explanation or description.
I like the way the Eastern Orthodox explain it, they refer to what happens as simply "a mystery".

BJ Bear

I like the way the Eastern Orthodox explain it, they refer to what happens as simply "a mystery".
That is a good description, but when someone asks of the Supper where is the body and blood of the Lord then they will need a preposition. Answering that question with, "It is a mystery," is an ambiguos answer that can be taken the wrong way.