Star of Bethlehem, 21 December 2020

Beloved

The so-called “Great Conjunction” last happened in 1623 but could not be seen from Earth. Before that, the phenomenon previously occurred on March 4, 1226.
2020’s celestial event has been christened by some scientists as the “Christmas Star” or “Star of Bethlehem,” due to its proximity to Christmas Day.
On the evening of closest approach on Dec 21 they will look like a double planet, separated by only 1/5th the diameter of the full moon,

You can get more info on What's Up: December 2020 Skywatching Tips from NASA
“Look for them low in the southwest in the hour after sunset,” NASA recommended on its website. “And on December 21st, the two giant planets will appear just a tenth of a degree apart — that’s about the thickness of a dime held at arm’s length!”

I think I will wrap up in the warmest clothing I can find and go out early not to miss this. Imagine seeing something that happened when the Magi traveled for months to be able to take gifts to our Lord.

Tiburon

The so-called “Great Conjunction” last happened in 1623 but could not be seen from Earth. Before that, the phenomenon previously occurred on March 4, 1226.
2020’s celestial event has been christened by some scientists as the “Christmas Star” or “Star of Bethlehem,” due to its proximity to Christmas Day.
On the evening of closest approach on Dec 21 they will look like a double planet, separated by only 1/5th the diameter of the full moon,

“Look for them low in the southwest in the hour after sunset,” NASA recommended on its website. “And on December 21st, the two giant planets will appear just a tenth of a degree apart — that’s about the thickness of a dime held at arm’s length!”

I think I will wrap up in the warmest clothing I can find and go out early not to miss this. Imagine seeing something that happened when the Magi traveled for months to be able to take gifts to our Lord.
Interesting. I'll have to try and remember to look out for it. I doubt this is what the Magi saw but it will still be cool to see.
Why post this in Eschatology? Shouldn't it be in Astronomy?

Beloved

Interesting. I'll have to try and remember to look out for it. I doubt this is what the Magi saw but it will still be cool to see.
Why post this in Eschatology? Shouldn't it be in Astronomy?
I must apologize Tiburon. I meant to put this in Apologetics (A Walk on the Wild Side) As per Redemmend, (, QUOTE: I was told and I read in the rules that in the Apologetics forum were free to discuss whatever we like. Of course we have to do so in a civilized manner and respect each other. So I'm going for it! ) Who knows how I wandered into here. I hope that others find this as I think it is worth looking at. Thank you for agreeing.

Beloved

Thanks for your response AprilRose. Yes I understand that and I believe the Bible stated they went to a house and not the manger. I don't think it has been determined how many "wise men/Magi there was or, at least I haven't found that. Funny how we add to the Bible even in the smallest things isn't it?

Redeemed

Thanks for your response AprilRose. Yes I understand that and I believe the Bible stated they went to a house and not the manger. I don't think it has been determined how many "wise men/Magi there was or, at least I haven't found that. Funny how we add to the Bible even in the smallest things isn't it?
What I find funny, and this just happened to me. Is when we hear something about the Bible or about God that gets stuck in our head and we believe it for decades, would even stand up and debate that is true. Then to find out it was a myth and a falsehood all along. I guess that's part of the education process.

What's sad is when the same scenario occurs and were unwilling to see the truth. Sort of "that's my story and I'm sticking to it" kind of a thing. Get all stubborn over it, Dig our heels in, argue, kick and scream. I know, hard to believe huh? As a matter of fact if you have ever seen this, you might just be a CARM forums participator.

I'm guilty of being on both sides of the fence of reading into the Bible and even adding to and changing the smallest of things. The good news is Jesus left us the Holy Spirit to guide us into all truth. For me I just have to stop and listen to Him and do He says. That still small voice.

In John (2:1–11) I love how Mary knew how to respond to what Jesus says "5 His mother said to the servants, “Do whatever he tells you.”

I can't wait to see the star, my cousin told me about it about a week ago. Stay bundled up while you're checking it out!

Beloved

Thanks for your reply Redeemed.
QUOTE, "I'm guilty of being on both sides of the fence of reading into the Bible and even adding to and changing the smallest of things."
end of Quote

Tsk, Tsk Redeemed. shame on you ;) for admitting that and, probably, so has everyone at one time or another. (even the ones that won't admit they have).

Quote, "The good news is Jesus left us the Holy Spirit to guide us into all truth. For me I just have to stop and listen to Him and do He says. That still small voice."End of Quote

Belivers coming together increases our knowlege IMO. You have brought that to my attention today. I knew I come into CARM for a reason and because I can't attend Church in body right now I can find true believers in here. We all need that .

I ask you to pray for me today as my pride seems to be in full force and needs to be dealt with. I now live in a warm area and today I decided to wear my fur coat for the first time in 3 yrs. I keep telling myself it is to keep warm only, but maybe it is to show off that coat too?

I shall wear it when I look for the star and know that some others are looking for it too. (the star I mean) Say thank you to your cousin also.

Oh, I forgot. Make cocoa too and sip it while you are watching.

May the Lord bless you Redeemer.

Redeemed

Thanks for your reply Redeemed.
QUOTE, "I'm guilty of being on both sides of the fence of reading into the Bible and even adding to and changing the smallest of things."
end of Quote

Tsk, Tsk Redeemed. shame on you ;) for admitting that and, probably, so has everyone at one time or another. (even the ones that won't admit they have).

Quote, "The good news is Jesus left us the Holy Spirit to guide us into all truth. For me I just have to stop and listen to Him and do He says. That still small voice."End of Quote

Belivers coming together increases our knowlege IMO. You have brought that to my attention today. I knew I come into CARM for a reason and because I can't attend Church in body right now I can find true believers in here. We all need that .

I ask you to pray for me today as my pride seems to be in full force and needs to be dealt with. I now live in a warm area and today I decided to wear my fur coat for the first time in 3 yrs. I keep telling myself it is to keep warm only, but maybe it is to show off that coat too?

I shall wear it when I look for the star and know that some others are looking for it too. (the star I mean) Say thank you to your cousin also.

Oh, I forgot. Make cocoa too and sip it while you are watching.

May the Lord bless you Redeemer.
I'm encouraged by your posts all the time so Yep we all need that from each other. The hot cocoa does sound pretty good and if your first coat makes you feel good Go for It. I believe Jesus especially when He was here walking around with this love to see us have a good time. I think she loved to see us celebrate like that wedding feast and so forth. So I'm sure He likes to see you and your fur coat because He wants to see you happy!

Last edited:

Dant01

Matt 2:8-9a . . And he sent them to Bethlehem, and said: Go and search
diligently for the young child; and when ye have found him, bring me word again,
that I may come and worship him also.

. . .When they had heard the king, they departed; and, lo, the star, which they saw
in the east, went before them,

A star that moves from the east towards the west is normal. But a star that moves
from the north to the south, is unheard of.

Matt 2:9b . . It came and stood over where the young child was.

I have been outside at night on many occasions during my 76 years on this planet
and have never been able to tell which of the stars in the sky was directly over my
neighbor's house. And if I move this way or that way, the stars move with me;
which makes the task all that more difficult. The problem is, normal stars, and
planets too, are so far away that the angle of their parallax is much too small for
the naked eye to detect.

So then, in order for that star to direct the wise men to the precise location where
the child was housed, it would have to be very low in the sky; for sure at least in
the atmosphere rather than out in the void.

Plus: people, as a rule, didn't travel at night back in that day due to insufficient
means of illumination; so the men very likely followed the star in broad daylight.
Well; as most people are aware, the stars are near to impossible for the naked eye
to see in broad daylight due to the sun's brilliance.

So then, I must conclude that the star that led the men wasn't a celestial object,
rather, it was a special apparition instead.

The question often arises: How did the men know to follow the star?

Well; that's not too difficult to sleuth. According to Matt 2:12 I'm pretty sure that
we may safely assume the men had been in touch with God the entire expedition
from first to last.
_

Dant01

Matt 2:11 . . .They entered the house where the child and his mother, Mary,
were, and they fell down before him and worshiped him. Then they opened their
treasure chests and gave him gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh.

With enough imagination, just about anything can be forced to be symbolic.
Personally, I tend to be a bit more practical.

In those days gold was real money, and frankincense and myrrh were valuable
commodities. I suggest that the men simply offered the ordinary kinds of tributes
that royalty was accustomed to receiving in those days from visiting dignitaries; in
other words: what the men did was just normal protocol because it was their
understanding that Jesus was a king. (Matt 2:2)

The tributes were providential too because very soon Joseph would be needing
something of value to finance his family's temporary residence in Egypt.
_

SteveB

So, I went out last night, and looked west by southwest and saw the "star."
It was close enough after sunset that it was still the only star in the western sky.
To the naked eye, it was obvious that it was different from a normal star. It didn't seem to be as bright as I was expecting. Not sure why I would've expected it to be, but ok.

Beloved

Here in East Texas, I went out a little after 5pm. It had rained earlier but it was odd because it was semi dark and no stars at all in the sky except for Saturn and Jupiter. I couldn't believe it. Saturn looked like a 3/4 moon and to the left of that Jupiter quite small....not appearing to move but it just seemed to be closer within a thirty minute period. Tell Redeemed I couldn't wear the coat because it was too warm outside. Because of the cloud cover I guess. After the 30 minutes the cloud cover was going away and stars kept coming out until the sky was full of them .
So, I went out last night, and looked west by southwest and saw the "star."
It was close enough after sunset that it was still the only star in the western sky.
To the naked eye, it was obvious that it was different from a normal star. It didn't seem to be as bright as I was expecting. Not sure why I would've expected it to be, but ok.

About 20 minutes later the cloud cover happened again and only the 2 in the sky visible again. Then later the wind came up and I had to come in for a short period of time, I did get to see the 2 appear to merge and then later the smaller one appeared to start back to where it came from. Of course that was just an illusion . It looked like 2 lines of vapor on the right side of Saturn . Texas weather does change rapidly,

One man I talked to years ago said a sandstorn came up in Lubbock and it was so dense he saw a groundhog climbing in the dirt and 10 minutes later the sand and wind changed to a clear sky and the poor little fellow fell down about 7 feet. We do know that Texans tend to fib at times when they are telling a good story! . :sneaky:

Dant01

The two-year time frame related to Herod's Holocaust wasn't referenced from the
day that the magi spoke with him. Herod marked the beginning with the day the
magi first saw the apparition back in their homeland.

Matt 2:2 . .We have seen his star in the east

Matt 2:7 . . Then Herod, when he had privily called the wise men, inquired of
them diligently what time the star appeared.

Matt 2:16 . . Herod gave orders to kill all the boys in accordance with the time he
had learned from the Magi.

It's commonly assumed the magi set out on their journey the very day that they
spotted the apparition in their homeland; but I don't think we can be certain that
they did.

Plus, it appears from Matt 2:12 that the apparition alone wasn't their only guide. In
other words: I think it reasonable to believe that the magi learned the meaning of
this curious object from God rather than from books, and began preparing an
expedition only after He instructed them to rather than on their own initiative.