Starting a thread on the Lord's Supper for Catholics to read...

Could someone point me to the Scripture that tells us that a priest is supposed to "consecrate" the elements of Communion?
The faith of the Evangelical Church, like Scripture, is Christocentric. They both proclaim Christ for you, so in this case the One who consecrates the bread is the One through whom all things were created, see Genesis 1.

When we look at the first hearers of, "Take and eat, this is my body, given for you, etc," the question which comes to mind is how did they understand what Jesus said about the bread and the wine from Scripture? Here are a few examples from the Scriptures of that time. The bread and the wine are a victory meal, see Melchizedek and Abraham. The bread and the wine are gifts from the LORD, the Creator, for the benefit of the body, for example, wine makes the heart glad, bread is for our strength, Psalm 104. There is wine and bread which can't be bought, Isaiah 55. Etc.

The faith of the disciples in Jesus, the one through whom all things were created and who gave His life for the sins of the world, received the words of institution at face value, that is, as true bread and wine and the true body and blood of the LORD GOD incarnate given for the forgiveness of sins.

Those who do not receive Jesus as true GOD and true man err in the same way with regard to the Supper. Consequently, they believe that the bread and wine are only bread and wine, or that the bread and wine are only bread and wine and here's an imaginative story on how you can get around the LORD GOD's words that they are His body and blood. Others tell a story of how the bread and the wine are really no longer bread and wine.

The sum of all this with regard to your question is that the words of institution are part of the Eucharistic prayer, but unlike Roman Catholicism there is no claim of a priest confecting the body and blood of the LORD.

The faith of the Evangelical Church, like Scripture, is Christocentric. They both proclaim Christ for you, so in this case the One who consecrates the bread is the One through whom all things were created, see Genesis 1.
Proper Christology is paramount. No escaping that because when ones Christology is wrong, such as Roman Catholicism, then the whole of their belief system is wrong.
When we look at the first hearers of, "Take and eat, this is my body, given for you, etc," the question which comes to mind is how did they understand what Jesus said about the bread and the wine from Scripture?
Paul wrote about that in 1 Corinthians 11, right?
Here are a few examples from the Scriptures of that time. The bread and the wine are a victory meal, see Melchizedek and Abraham. The bread and the wine are gifts from the LORD, the Creator, for the benefit of the body, for example, wine makes the heart glad, bread is for our strength, Psalm 104. There is wine and bread which can't be bought, Isaiah 55. Etc.
Jesus is referred to, symbolically, as many things we all love and hold dear. The Living Water. The First and the Last. The Great I AM. The Son of God. And when He used cup in some of His teachings and words it wasn't that He was going to drink a cup or His disciples were going to drink the same cup He was, but was referencing His coming sacrifice and their pending martyrdom.

Matthew 20:22 “You don’t know what you are asking,” Jesus said to them. “Can you drink the cup I am going to drink?” “We can,” they answered.

Matthew 26:39 Going a little farther, he fell with his face to the ground and prayed, “My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will.”...42 He went away a second time and prayed, “My Father, if it is not possible for this cup to be taken away unless I drink it, may your will be done.”

The faith of the disciples in Jesus, the one through whom all things were created and who gave His life for the sins of the world, received the words of institution at face value, that is, as true bread and wine and the true body and blood of the LORD GOD incarnate given for the forgiveness of sins.
You are welcome to believe that. I do not believe when He broke bread and gave the cup the disciples were literally eating His flesh nor drinking His blood. As Passover was a memorial of the flight from Egypt Jesus used that memorial to create the new one, the memorial, remembrance of His sacrifice and like the Passover meal that uses food to represent their trials Jesus used the bread and wine as a representation of what He would go through, what He would accomplish, how He would accomplish, our salvation on the cross.
Those who do not receive Jesus as true GOD and true man err in the same way with regard to the Supper. Consequently, they believe that the bread and wine are only bread and wine, or that the bread and wine are only bread and wine and here's an imaginative story on how you can get around the LORD GOD's words that they are His body and blood. Others tell a story of how the bread and the wine are really no longer bread and wine.
Everyone that I know of in the fellowship I belong to understand and believe that Jesus is God and man, the creator. Also, we do not hold that the bread and wine is actually Him but used to symbolize what He accomplished for us on the cross. I am not divisive over this and only seek to understand your understanding but that does not change the challenge of understanding what Jesus did at the Last Supper. Was it literal. Was it symbolic. This is such a deep theological question, not unlike predestination, Melchizedek and other mysteries of God. I would not let our differences to keep me from fellowshipping with you though. You are a brother in the Lord as Bonnie is a sister in Him, and I am grateful for that.
The sum of all this with regard to your question is that the words of institution are part of the Eucharistic prayer, but unlike Roman Catholicism there is no claim of a priest confecting the body and blood of the LORD.
Thanks BJ.

Last edited:
I was referring to bread being prayed over at my home -- you said it would become His body [The Eucharist]. Do we [all] have that ability? Thanks
Matthew 18:20 20 "For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them.”

Your calling Jesus down for your RC eucharist is for naught for He is already with those of us who are gathered in His name.

Back