Stop Praying to Mary!

Bonnie

No thanks. I appreciate the love of the saints in heaven that they would pray for us to God.
Do you not know the difference between TO someone and praying FOR someone? The OP is about praying TO Mary. Nowhere in the Bible does it say it is hunky-dory to pray to saints dead in the Lord. We are told to pray FOR each other, but not TO each other.

Why would anyone need to pray TO Mary? Isn't Jesus good enough for us? Isn't He God in the flesh? Doesn't He answer prayers?

jonathan_hili

Do you not know the difference between TO someone and praying FOR someone? The OP is about praying TO Mary. Nowhere in the Bible does it say it is hunky-dory to pray to saints dead in the Lord. We are told to pray FOR each other, but not TO each other.

Why would anyone need to pray TO Mary? Isn't Jesus good enough for us? Isn't He God in the flesh? Doesn't He answer prayers?
When we pray to the saints, we are asking them to pray for us. "Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now, and at the hour of our deaths."

If Christians will ask their friends on earth to pray for them, why not ask our friends in heaven?

mica

When we pray to the saints, we are asking them to pray for us. "Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now, and at the hour of our deaths."

If Christians will ask their friends on earth to pray for them, why not ask our friends in heaven?
Those friends ARE still alive on earth... and a believer doesn't pray to a dead person.

Nondenom40

Show us one person in the bible BY NAME that ever did this. Thanks in advance.

Nondenom40

No thanks. I appreciate the love of the saints in heaven that they would pray for us to God.
And you know this how? Where is the apostolic teaching (from an actual apostle) where this is practiced or condoned?

Phil 4:6
6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. NASB

Where is the similar verse regarding praying to saints?

balshan

There is no scripture that tells us to pray to the dead in Christ. Not one. There are scriptures that show we pray to Our Father, to the Lord. There is no example of the apostles praying to dead Mary, dead Stephen or anyone else who was dead. So this is just a man made teaching and it is wrong. We are not to contact the dead whether in dead in Christ or not.

Even in the OT we are told to pray to the Lord, this command is by the Lord:

Jer 29:11-13

11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 12 Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. 13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.

John 14

13 And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.

These are just two bible verses on prayer but I did not find one which says to pray to the dead in Christ.

Last edited:

jonathan_hili

Show us one person in the bible BY NAME that ever did this. Thanks in advance.
Why would I need to show you one person by name who did this? Why does the name of the person matter?

One obvious example, and I'm sure you've heard it before, is from Rev 5:18 where the elders and angels bring to God the prayers of the saints (on earth). This is a form of intercessory prayer, as they are symbolically represented as bring prayers to God.

Okay, let's apply the same kind of logic to something all Christians do. Show us one person in the bible BY NAME who treats the Letter to Philemon as scripture.

jonathan_hili

And you know this how? Where is the apostolic teaching (from an actual apostle) where this is practiced or condoned?

Phil 4:6
6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. NASB

Where is the similar verse regarding praying to saints?
James 5:16
Therefore confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man has great power in its effects.

Presumably, those in heaven are very righteous and are still human beings, and that praying to them we are praying for one another, and so that makes sense.

jonathan_hili

There is no scripture that tells us to pray to the dead in Christ. Not one. There are scriptures that show we pray to Our Father, to the Lord. There is no example of the apostles praying to dead Mary, dead Stephen or anyone else who was dead. So this is just a man made teaching and it is wrong. We are not to contact the dead whether in dead in Christ or not.

Even in the OT we are told to pray to the Lord, this command is by the Lord:

Jer 29:11-13

11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 12 Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. 13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.

John 14

13 And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.

These are just two bible verses on prayer but I did not find one which says to pray to the dead in Christ.
You're working off the assumption that everything Christians do related to the faith must be explicitly taught in scripture. Where does scripture state that?

mica

James 5:16
Therefore confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man has great power in its effects.

Presumably, those in heaven are very righteous and are still human beings, and that praying to them we are praying for one another, and so that makes sense.
how does one become righteous?

balshan

Why would I need to show you one person by name who did this? Why does the name of the person matter?

One obvious example, and I'm sure you've heard it before, is from Rev 5:18 where the elders and angels bring to God the prayers of the saints (on earth). This is a form of intercessory prayer, as they are symbolically represented as bring prayers to God.

Okay, let's apply the same kind of logic to something all Christians do. Show us one person in the bible BY NAME who treats the Letter to Philemon as scripture.
Oh that is a delusion. You should be able to name one case of an apostle praying to Mary the co mediator at least. If it was something that was done by the early church, the fact that you cannot shows it is a false doctrine. Also, revelation does not relate to praying to Mary and the saints when all scripture relating to how to pray show very clearly to pray to the Lord.