Study shows efficacy of ivermectin in treating covid.

Magdalena

Government science has been saying ivermectin doesn’t work, but real science studies show otherwise. So why has it been discouraged by the U.S.? Might have saved a lot of lives.

The Pixie

Here is the opposite view:

Your paper seems to be heavily based on work by Hill at the University of Liverpool, which can be found here:

Many studies that were included were not yet published or peer-reviewed and meta-analyses are prone to confounding issues. Furthermore, there was a wide variation in standards of care across trials, and ivermectin dose and duration of treatment was heterogeneous. Ivermectin should be validated in larger, appropriately controlled randomized trials before the results are sufficient for review by regulatory authorities.

Ivermectin might be a good treatment, but as yet the evidence is not sufficient.

The US is notoriously litigious, which undoubtedly slows the release of new drugs. If it cures a million people, but kills one, anyone involved is likely to sued for a huge amount, so all involved are going to be very cautious.

Magdalena

Here is the opposite view:

Your paper seems to be heavily based on work by Hill at the University of Liverpool, which can be found here:

Many studies that were included were not yet published or peer-reviewed and meta-analyses are prone to confounding issues. Furthermore, there was a wide variation in standards of care across trials, and ivermectin dose and duration of treatment was heterogeneous. Ivermectin should be validated in larger, appropriately controlled randomized trials before the results are sufficient for review by regulatory authorities.

Ivermectin might be a good treatment, but as yet the evidence is not sufficient.

The US is notoriously litigious, which undoubtedly slows the release of new drugs. If it cures a million people, but kills one, anyone involved is likely to sued for a huge amount, so all involved are going to be very cautious.
Regarding your first link, the FDA hasn’t even approved the experimental covid vaccines for anything other than emergency use, and yet they rushed to get them out to the masses. It doesn’t seem as if they were too worried about lawsuits.

Ivermectin is being used in other countries with good success.

The OP report is from multiple studies...

“Meta-analyses based on 18 randomized controlled treatment trials of ivermectin in COVID-19 have found large, statistically significant reductions in mortality, time to clinical recovery, and time to viral clearance. Furthermore, results from numerous controlled prophylaxis trials report significantly reduced risks of contracting COVID-19 with the regular use of ivermectin. Finally, the many examples of ivermectin distribution campaigns leading to rapid population-wide decreases in morbidity and mortality indicate that an oral agent effective in all phases of COVID-19 has been identified.”

The Pixie

Regarding your first link, the FDA hasn’t even approved the experimental covid vaccines for anything other than emergency use, and yet they rushed to get them out to the masses.
You seem to have the logic mixed up here. They had to rush them to the masses, which is why they approved the experimental COVID vaccines for emergency use. The pandemic is an emergency!

It doesn’t seem as if they were too worried about lawsuits.
They are also under pressure to find a solution.

Ivermectin is being used in other countries with good success.
What countries? It is advised against in Europe, for example (though a couple of countries are using it; you want to follow Czechia and Slovakia?):

The OP report is from multiple studies...
Yes, but so is the University of Liverpool work. I think - and I may be wrong - that the University of Liverpool collected the data from various studies, and the OP report is then derived from that work.

Magdalena

You seem to have the logic mixed up here. They had to rush them to the masses, which is why they approved the experimental COVID vaccines for emergency use. The pandemic is an emergency!

They are also under pressure to find a solution.

What countries? It is advised against in Europe, for example (though a couple of countries are using it; you want to follow Czechia and Slovakia?):

Yes, but so is the University of Liverpool work. I think - and I may be wrong - that the University of Liverpool collected the data from various studies, and the OP report is then derived from that work.
Yes, covid is an emergency. So why wouldn’t they push thru a treatment that is already having success in other places. Did you miss the parts of that report that name France, India, Brazil and several others?

The Pixie

Yes, covid is an emergency. So why wouldn’t they push thru a treatment that is already having success in other places. Did you miss the parts of that report that name France, India, Brazil and several others?
My guess is because they are not convinced that it is having such success. Why do you think?

Magdalena

My guess is because they are not convinced that it is having such success. Why do you think?
Big pharma. Invermectin is cheaper, and already produced by someone else. Like HCQ. There would be no profit in it for the greedy people who don’t care about helping.

The Pixie

Big pharma. Invermectin is cheaper, and already produced by someone else. Like HCQ. There would be no profit in it for the greedy people who don’t care about helping.
I appreciate the US government is in the pockets of big business, but I am not so sure that is true of Europe.

Authentic Nouveau

I appreciate the US government is in the pockets of big business, but I am not so sure that is true of Europe.

Too much of the expense of American medicine goes toward defensive procedures.

The Pixie

Well my OP was about the U.S. refusal to use ivermectin.
Sure, but the EU also say it should not be used. So either they are in the pockets of big business - which I find unlikely, but is possible - or they have a valid point. And if it is valid for the EU then it would also be valid for the US.

Temujin

. And if it is valid for the EU then it would also be valid for the US.
Good grief, this is heresy! Next you will be suggesting national lockdowns and controlled immunisation of the most vulnerable groups first. Just because such ideas work in Europe doesn't mean they will work in Americans, who are a completely different species.

Magdalena

Sure, but the EU also say it should not be used. So either they are in the pockets of big business - which I find unlikely, but is possible - or they have a valid point. And if it is valid for the EU then it would also be valid for the US.
Apparently the EU is slowly changing its mind. Slovakia is the first country to approve the use of Ivermectin.