Sulfur balls (brimstone) found at Sodom & Gomorrah

I'm not the one who wants to be right.
History is history. And considering that this particular piece of history took place somewhere between 4200 and 3800 years old, I'm fine with it and my limited awareness of it.
So why did Lot mock his sons-in-law and try to pimp their future wives?

Well, that's pretty clear. Steve supports both of two individually inadequate and jointly incompatible explanations, and anyone who dares question him simply doesn't know how to think and is pretending to know everything. Perfectly reasonable!
Again, I'm not the one who needs to be right.
The problem I'm seeing is that you don't believe that the God who created everything exists, so nothing but your own bias is possible.

I believe in the God who created everything, so nothing is impossible.

Again, I'm not the one who needs to be right.
The problem I'm seeing is that you don't believe that the God who created everything exists, so nothing but your own bias is possible.
You're not immune from bias, Steve. Far from it.

I believe in the God who created everything, so nothing is impossible.
Take it up with Steve from 5min ago:
It's a literal impossibility.

It's your story, not mine.
Or is that story just an imaginative fantasy based on an historical volcanic eruption, like the mythical story about Atlantis?
It's not "my" story.
It's Lot's.
So if you want to know why, then you have to talk to him about it.

This is a common sense issue, are you actually telling me that you don't understand this?

It's not "my" story.
It's Lot's.
So if you want to know why, then you have to talk to him about it.

This is a common sense issue, are you actually telling me that you don't understand this?
IOW it's just another imaginative fantasy.

I doubt it.
I am however curious why you need it to be an imaginative fantasy.

Why can't I be an actual historical event?
Unless I have a face to face chat with a god about the story then it's still just an imaginative fantasy, even though the story is probably based on an historical event such as the volcanic eruption of Santorini and the demise of the Minoan civilization.

What's wrong Pixie?
Didn't you ever learn how to think?
I don't have any problems with either and both scenarios.
And that is the issue. You are happy to use either scenario as convenient at the moment - despite the plain truth that the two scenarios contradict each other.

If we suppose the sulfur was in mineral deposits, then that does not support the Bible account of raining fire and brimstone.

If we suppose the sulfur was in a meteor, then that does not support the existence of native sulfur still around from the event.

But if we pretend one is true sometimes, and flip to the other when convenient, then all is fine... As long as we do not actually engage your brain anyway.

Perhaps the problem here is that you're afraid that the world isn't as you want it to be.
Where does this come from? I am the one looking for a scenario that makes sense, that is consistent and fits reality.

Your explanation of sulfur in mineral deposits when we want to explain sulfur balls and sulfur in meteors when we want to explain the Genesis account does not do that.

You are the one trying desperately to preserve an unworkable story that simply does not match reality.

Perhaps the problem here is that you're afraid that the world isn't as you want it to be.
Bear in mind that nothing I have said suggests the destruction of Sodom never happened. I am not saying the Bible is wrong here.

All I am saying is that finding native sulfur is not evidence for it.

It is not that I am afraid the world is not how I want it to be. It is that I know that burning sulfur will not leave native sulfur.

Hot enough to blast you where you stand.
I'm thinking that the scene from the first terminator movie where Kathryn's character is fried while holding onto the chain link fence.
And you think sulfur will not burn in the scenario?

I think it is exactly whatever it actually was when it happened.
I simply put forward the different possible scenarios.
Scenario one: There was a meteor that contained sulfur. The meteor got so hot it vapoured before impact in a huge explosion. So far so good. But then you suppose that sulfur at a temperature hot enough to vapourise the meteor will not burn! It makes no sense, so flip to scenario two.

Scenerio two: There are mineral deposits containing sulfur. So far so good. Somehow these mineral deposits buried the ground rained down from the sky. It makes no sense, so flip back to scenario one.

Either way, the Bible account says fire and brimstone. Therefore (if it is true) the sulfur was on fire. Therefore there would be no native sulfur today resulting from that event.

But of course, you need to cling to this story, so you ignore reality and take the discovery of native sulfur as evidence of an event in which sulfur was burning!

I'm not the one who wants to be right.
That is just as well, Steve. Now if you can just take that extra step to admit you are wrong, we can move on.

But of course, you cannot do that, can you? You were clearly wrong when you said positrons bounce off electrons, but you never managed to admit it. Why is? I am guessing pride. You lack the humility to be able to admit your mistakes.

History is history. And considering that this particular piece of history took place somewhere between 4200 and 3800 years old, I'm fine with it and my limited awareness of it.
And that is great for you.

I need a history that makes sense. A history where sulfur and fire rained down from the sky, but there are still balls of native sulfur lying around from the event does not make sense.

You want it to be true, so you ignore that. I get it. That is Christian "critical thinking" works. I cannot do that.

And that is the issue. You are happy to use either scenario as convenient at the moment - despite the plain truth that the two scenarios contradict each other.
Well then, I suppose that does it.
You alone know everything, and nobody who doesn't match your thought patterns exactly could possibly have a clue.

Unless I have a face to face chat with a god about the story then it's still just an imaginative fantasy, even though the story is probably based on an historical event such as the volcanic eruption of Santorini and the demise of the Minoan civilization.
the day will come when you will. Everyone will.

If you come follow Jesus, it'll be a face to face with God as your Father.

If you don't come follow Jesus, it'll be a face to face with God as your Judge. After which, you will leave, and go into the lake of fire, where you'll spend your eternity in misery.

the day will come when you will. Everyone will.

If you come follow Jesus, it'll be a face to face with God as your Father.

If you don't come follow Jesus, it'll be a face to face with God as your Judge. After which, you will leave, and go into the lake of fire, where you'll spend your eternity in misery.
Cool.

At least I'll be able to have a beer and a chat with Abraham & Moses & David who never went to heaven either (John 3:13) and went into the lake of fire instead.
And even though David was his god's begotten son (Psalm 2:7) he preferred to employ Luigi as his gardener instead of Jesus who couldn't even drive a nail let alone a wheelbarrow..

Last edited:
Well then, I suppose that does it.
It certainly does.

You alone know everything, and nobody who doesn't match your thought patterns exactly could possibly have a clue.
It is nice of you to say so, but I think you are over-estimating my abilities. The truth is that I do not know everything - though I suppose it might seem that way to a know-nothing who thinks positrons bounce off electrons and sulfur will not burn when how enough to vaporise rock.

It certainly does.

It is nice of you to say so, but I think you are over-estimating my abilities. The truth is that I do not know everything - though I suppose it might seem that way to a know-nothing who thinks positrons bounce off electrons and sulfur will not burn when how enough to vaporise rock.
I'd love to believe I was over-estimating your abilities. But if I did, you'd actually realize that you don't know as much as you claim to.

I'd love to believe I was over-estimating your abilities. But if I did, you'd actually realize that you don't know as much as you claim to.
So basically you are reduced to insults.

You have said these sulfur balls are from the rain of fire and brimstone in Genesis, but, as has been proved, this makes no sense because burning sulfur is converted from native sulfur to sulfur dioxide. The first video actually says this, whilst showing sulfur burning.

You claim has been shown to be nonsense, but rather than try to argue otherwise or - heaven forbid - admit you were wrong, you choose to insult.

Is this really what Christianity is about? Jesus preached humility, not pride, Steve. See if you can swallow yours.

You have said these sulfur balls are from the rain of fire and brimstone in Genesis, but, as has been proved, this makes no sense because burning sulfur is converted from native sulfur to sulfur dioxide. The first video actually says this, whilst showing sulfur burning.

You claim has been shown to be nonsense, but rather than try to argue otherwise or - heaven forbid - admit you were wrong, you choose to insult.

Is this really what Christianity is about? Jesus preached humility, not pride, Steve. See if you can swallow yours.
And they should've at least spray-painted those "brimstone" balls yellow before they made their video.

What do you think humility is?
You keep making it about how stupid I am, and how smart you are, so I'm going to take you seriously..... why?

Back