Taking the Lord's Name in Vain

carm is set up for and it is intended to be a place to debate .

No serious bible/Scripture reader is fooled by Rc doctrines and teachings.

p.s. I just now realized this thread got moved from the Rc forum to another forum.
I'd bet my mortgage money you don't actually know a "Rc" doctrine or teaching that you searched out on your own.

LMBO most of them are so poorly catechized they become easy pickings for the hyenas.
WELL, WHERE WERE THE SHEPHERDS WHOSE JOB IT IS TO PROTECT THE SHEEP, TO GO AFTER THE LOST SHEEP AND RETURN THEM SAFELY?
And why did those who claim to be shepherds hire such incompetents to teach the children entrusted to the care of the shepherds?

--Rich
"Esse quam videri"

Would it be true to say that every time a person thinks a thought about God that is not true of Him, then that person has taken God's name in vain?
Broadly speaking all sin violates the first commandment. Similarly the second commandment follows in that any sin is taking the name of God thereby who he is, in vain.

Last edited:
Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain;
for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

4 And Jesus answered and said unto them,
Take heed that no man deceive you
5 For many shall come in my name, saying,
I am Christ; and shall deceive many

When sending someone on an errand
they go "in your name"
and many shall come saying he was the Christ
and he has sent me to tell you about him

1Tim.1:7
Desiring to be teachers of the law;
understanding neither what they say,
nor whereof they affirm.

what was that that Paul said about these deceivers
ministers of Satan, slunk in while men slept
transforming themselves / claiming to be
wanna-bes they are
"Desiring to be teachers of the law"

Why did God have to tell the Jews not to take the Lord's name in vain?

Ever hear someone in an old movie swear that something is true on his mother's name?

Likewise... Jews used to sometimes swear by God's name. Jews were not to use the Lord's name vain.
Do not "swear to God" you will do something.
Let your 'yes' be yes, and your 'no' be no.

If you do swear something in God's name? Its blasphemy.... and it makes light of the importance of God.

This is what we are told...

“Again you have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not swear falsely,
but shall perform your oaths to the Lord.’ But I say to you, do not swear at all: neither
by heaven, for it is God’s throne; nor by the earth, for it is His footstool; nor by Jerusalem,
for it is the city of the great King. Nor shall you swear by your head, because you cannot
make one hair white or black. But let your ‘Yes’ be ‘Yes,’ and your ‘No,’ ‘No.’ For whatever
is more than these is from the evil one." Matthew 5:33-37​

In other words... Before God a Christian always be honest when taking an oath.

Have your yes mean yes. Or, have your no mean no!

grace and peace ........

Back