The Arborist & I: A Dialogue

ARBY: I'm angry that God drowned babies.

STIG: But you don't believe that. You're an atheist, remember?

ARBY: Oh, yeah. OK then, I'm angry that you believe it.

STIG: Why? Are you angry that people believe that Bigfoot scares people?

ARBY: Bigfoot doesn't make moral demands. God does.

ARBY: Oh, yeah. OK then, I'm angry because the drowning was needless.

STIG: How do you know what was needed? And not needed for what?

ARBY: Don't confuse me. I'm angry that God is immoral.

STIG: Because He drowned babies thousands of years ago? Have you read Revelation? Why 8,748 posts over the last several years whining about drowning babies, which you don't really think happened, and not a word about the effects of those vials of wrath?

ARBY: OK, I'm angry about that too.

STIG: Because He drowned babies thousands of years ago? Have you read Revelation? Why 8,748 posts over the last several years whining about drowning babies, which you don't really think happened, and not a word about the effects of those vials of wrath?

The god that Christians believe in is immoral

The only reason I care about Christians believing in an immoral god is because it shapes their own moralities and morality is what determines how we interact with one another

I desire to disavow Christians of this harmful belief

It is my intention to do so by way of opening the eyes of Christians to God's immorality as described throughout scripture

How else am I to do this without stating what God, Himself, has done per His own claims in scripture?

Look at it this way, in order for an adult to communicate effectively with a young child, the adult must approach the child on the level of a child, right?

In much the same way, in order for me to communicate with you, I must lower myself to your level and, for the sake of communication, speak of your invisible sky daddy as if it were real

Oh yeah, you plan on "eradicating Christianity."

By finding Christians unfamiliar with the flood account? How many converts so far?
No, Stiggy - not by locating Christians unfamiliar with the Flood account, rather by illuminating the cognitive dissonance that allows for such concurrent Christian beliefs as "God drowned babies" and "God is good and just"

No, Stiggy - not by locating Christians unfamiliar with the Flood account, rather by illuminating the cognitive dissonance that allows for such concurrent Christian beliefs as "God drowned babies" and "God is good and just"
So how many converts? How many people did you cause to think, "Gee, I've been too cognitively dissonant to realize that drowning babies is not just until this guy told me?"

No, I mean zero, as in the number of Christian beliefs you have "eradicated."
This is hilarious - what you're doing is akin to bragging about your inability to reason

"How many CARM Christians have you successfully de-converted, Tree?
Ha, ha, ha - we're just too far gone for you to have reached any of us - ha, ha, ha"

This is hilarious - what you're doing is akin to bragging about your inability to reason

"How many CARM Christians have you successfully de-converted, Tree?
Ha, ha, ha - we're just too far gone for you to have reached any of us - ha, ha, ha"
So your miserable failure here is our fault?

"Coach, the reason I didn't gain any yards on thirty carries is 'cause their defense didn't appreciate my running style."

LOL

So your miserable failure here is our fault?

"Coach, the reason I didn't gain any yards on thirty carries is 'cause their defense didn't appreciate my running style."

LOL
You love that expression, don't you?

"Miserable failure"
How many times do you think you've typed that phrase on CARM?

I wouldn't be surprised if it were into the triple digits, already

Wonder if that says anything about you...?

You love that expression, don't you?

"Miserable failure"
How many times do you think you've typed that phrase on CARM?

I wouldn't be surprised if it were into the triple digits, already

Wonder if that says anything about you...?
Looks like a miserable failure on your part to say what it says.

docphin5

No, I mean zero, as in the number of Christian beliefs you have "eradicated."
Treeplanter himself may not have changed a single mind but the point he makes has been debated about for thousands of years. YHWH does not fit the model of God in the New Testament. He corollates more with the adversary of men, the accuser, the punisher, the jealous, the wrathful, etc. scholars have been debating this for a long time. If you think about it YHWH and Jesus are two sides of the same coin and God comes as the latter to save souls condemned by the former.

bigthinker

Stiggy's position is both uncontaminated by and impervious to thought.