The Arborist & I: A Dialogue

treeplanter

I have no idea what you are talking about really.

If you have the physical evidence for meaning, purpose, morality in your atheist universe then present it.

Otherwise go hug a tree or something

Alright, Jimmy - I'll type slower...

I gave you the benefit of the doubt and assumed that when you are referring to an atheist universe you are talking about a sphere of activity, interest, and experience relative to a single individual who happens not to believe in the existence of God - and NOT to all existing matter and space considered as a whole

I gave you the benefit of the doubt and presumed that you are using the term 'universe' colloquially - a'la "in my universe, The Beatles are and always will be the greatest band of all time"

I gave you the benefit of the doubt and presumed that you are not stupid enough to be claiming that there are two separate physical universes - one for Christians and one for atheists

You said nothing to disavow me of this presumption - of this kindness that I extended to you

So, I asked you to support your ridiculous claim that morality, meaning, purpose, and hope do not exist in the atheist's 'universe' - i.e. sphere of activity / interest / experience

You responded by denying that you made any such claim and suggesting that I "read for comprehension"!

Well, lesser fella - which is it, then?

Was I wrong to give you the benefit of the doubt?

An atheist universe is a sphere of activity, interest, and experience unique to an individual?

OR

There are two separate, physical masses of all existing matter and space considered as a whole - one for atheists and one for Christians?

Last edited:

Furion

Alright, Jimmy - I'll type slower...

I gave you the benefit of the doubt and assumed that when you are referring to an atheist universe you are talking about a sphere of activity, interest, and experience relative to a single individual who happens not to believe in the existence of God - and NOT to all existing matter and space considered as a whole

I gave you the benefit of the doubt and presumed that you are using the term 'universe' colloquially - a'la "in my universe, The Beatles are and always will be the greatest band of all time"

I gave you the benefit of the doubt and presumed that you are not stupid enough to be claiming that there are two separate physical universes - one for Christians and one for atheists

You said nothing to disavow me of this presumption - of this kindness that I extended to you

So, I asked you to support your ridiculous claim that morality, meaning, purpose, and hope do not exist in the atheist's 'universe' - i.e. sphere of activity / interest / experience

You responded by denying that you made any such claim and suggesting that I "read for comprehension"!

Well, lesser fella - which is it?

An atheist universe is a sphere of activity, interest, and experience unique to an individual?

OR

There are two separate, physical masses of all existing matter and space considered as a whole - one for atheists and one for Christians?

Still don't know what you're on about.

The atheist universe is a godless universe.

In your atheist universe, that you plead with others to believe is reality, it has no meaning, purpose, morality, likely other things.

If you have physical evidence showing these things, chop down a tree and then tell me all about it. Otherwise, hug the tree and cry for your forest.

treeplanter

Still don't know what you're on about.

The atheist universe is a godless universe.

In your atheist universe, that you plead with others to believe is reality, it has no meaning, purpose, morality, likely other things.

If you have physical evidence showing these things, chop down a tree and then tell me all about it. Otherwise, hug the tree and cry for your forest.
What do you mean by "atheist universe"???

How lesser a fella must you be if you cannot understand such a simple question?

Are you saying that an atheist universe is a sphere of activity, interest, and experience unique to a faithless individual
or
are you saying that atheists and Christians live in two physical universes that are separate and distinct?

If it's the former, then why, in post #313, did you deny making the claim that morality, meaning, purpose, and hope do not exist in the atheist's 'universe' - i.e. sphere of activity / interest / experience?

If it's the latter, then you need to provide scripture stating that non-believers do not dwell within the same physical realm of existence and on the same physical plane of consciousness as do believers

If it's the latter, you'll need to explain how it is that you and I are interacting with one another, right now, even though I do not exist in the physical universe that you currently occupy - the one that contains the Milky Way and the Earth and the United States of America and CARM

Well, Jimmy???

Lighthearted Atheist

So then you do know what an atheist universe is, it's your godless universe.
I suppose. Atheism is a lack of belief in gods. So I guess you could say that an atheistic universe is one without gods. No Allah, no Yahweh, no Zeus, no Osiris or Shiva or Huitzilopochtli - nothing supernatural - just nature and science.

So far that appears to be this universe. There is no empirical evidence for any of the tens of thousands of gods man has worshipped - just stories in old books like The Bible, The Vedas, The Koran, The Pyramid Texts, and thousands of other unverifiable ancient texts. Gods do not appear in our daily lives for all to see. Gods do not give us instructions on tablets or speak to humanity or sit on a throne and pass wisdom to our leaders.

So far it looks like its just us - so enjoy each day, spread kindness, and be happy because this is the only reality we know that we have :)

Furion

I suppose. Atheism is a lack of belief in gods. So I guess you could say that an atheistic universe is one without gods.

Be still my heart.

No Allah, no Yahweh, no Zeus, no Osiris or Shiva or Huitzilopochtli - nothing supernatural - just nature and science.

So far that appears to be this universe. There is no empirical evidence for any of the tens of thousands of gods man has worshipped - just stories in old books like The Bible, The Vedas, The Koran, The Pyramid Texts, and thousands of other unverifiable ancient texts. Gods do not appear in our daily lives for all to see. Gods do not give us instructions on tablets or speak to humanity or sit on a throne and pass wisdom to our leaders.

So far it looks like its just us - so enjoy each day, spread kindness, and be happy because this is the only reality we know that we have :)

Yes, that's the ticket, there is no God, so spread the kindness. Those two things go together for you, is it?

Here is a better phrase, eat drink and be merry for tomorrow you die.

Lighthearted Atheist

Here is a better phrase, eat drink and be merry for tomorrow you die.
That works too. The whole idea of Secular Humanism is that we cannot prove that anything happens after death. The only thing we know for sure is that we have this life now. So instead of doing things to avoid punishment or gain reward after death let's just focus on what can make things better here and now.

It really aligns with the Golden Rule. Let's all be kind to our neighbors and do unto others in this life to make it the best it can possibly be. And if one of the religions can prove that they know what happens after death we'll deal with it then. But for now let's alleviate human suffering, be kind to all races, religions, and cultures, and enjoy our years on Earth.

Its not a bad life philosophy.