The Arborist Plays Charades

stiggy wiggy

In the same way, your God demonstrates his imaginary nature by being imaginary.

It gets dumber and dumber, folks. Now the fake big thinker thinks imaginary entities can demonstrate stuff. I guess maybe he thinks the tooth fairy demonstrates imaginary quarters under his pillow.

shnarkle

How would you prove to them that what they are seeing is red?
This reminds me of Lewis and Clark naming a plant "Redbud" because of the color of its buds. The obvious problem is that the buds are not red, but more of a purple color. When one looks back into history, the range of colors seems to contract significantly, and some have speculated that color blindness was much more common up until just recently.

Lewis and Clark may not have had a word to describe what they saw so they just relied on what was the closest approximation, or they may not have been able to see the color purple.

bigthinker

This reminds me of Lewis and Clark naming a plant "Redbud" because of the color of its buds. The obvious problem is that the buds are not red, but more of a purple color. When one looks back into history, the range of colors seems to contract significantly, and some have speculated that color blindness was much more common up until just recently.

Lewis and Clark may not have had a word to describe what they saw so they just relied on what was the closest approximation, or they may not have been able to see the color purple.
So basically you're using a metaphor to say that you cannot demonstrate that God actually exists?

Last edited:

bigthinker

So your big thinking is so big it has no room for an accurate definition of "metaphor?" The sentence "fire engines are red" is true in Swahili or pig latin.
Your lack of understanding doesn't mean your God isn't imaginary.

Q: What prevents you from being able to demonstrate that your God actually exists?
A: the imaginary nature of your God.

bigthinker

It gets dumber and dumber, folks. Now the fake big thinker thinks imaginary entities can demonstrate stuff. I guess maybe he thinks the tooth fairy demonstrates imaginary quarters under his pillow.
Yes, the more you say, the dumber it gets.

You want to talk about the tooth fairy now?
Why not demonstrate that your God actually exists?
Or explain why you can't.
Based on your posts, it seems you have a mental block that prevents you from dealing with the issue in an intellectually honest way.

it seems pretty simple and yet you'd rather try to insult me, talk about Stevie Wonder and the tooth fairy...
Why can't you talk about God without resorting to analogy? Don't you have direct experience of God? Aren't you capable of conveying your direct experience in clear, unambiguous language?
If not, the question is: why not?

Your insults betray your insecurities.

stiggy wiggy

Why not demonstrate that your God actually exists?

Fire engines are red.
Stevie Wonder cannot have that DEMONSTRATED to him.
Nevertheless, fire engines are red.

Stevie is not so dumb as to claim:

"Since you cannot DEMONSTRATE to me that fire engines are red, THEREFORE red fire engines are IMAGINARY."

Don't you have direct experience of God?

Yes.

Aren't you capable of conveying your direct experience in clear, unambiguous language?

How would YOU express the color red to Stevie Wonder in "clear, unambiguous language?"

bigthinker

A: Your blindness. (see previous Stevie Wonder/fire engine analogy)
That's your excuse?
It's already been demonstrated to you that the analogy fails. You think it works due to you ignorance of color perception. -Did you check the link I posted on colorimetry? Probably not as I suspect your ignorance is willful.

The fact that you can't demonstrate the existence of something has nothing to do with my ability to see or comprehend, it has to do with your inability and the fact that the thing you believe exists offers no evidence of its existence.

stiggy wiggy

That's your excuse?
It's already been demonstrated to you that the analogy fails.

And yet it hasn't.

Here it is again:

Fire engines are red.
Stevie Wonder cannot have that DEMONSTRATED to him.
Nevertheless, fire engines are red.

Stevie is not so dumb as to claim:

"Since you cannot DEMONSTRATE to me that fire engines are red, THEREFORE red fire engines are IMAGINARY."

Did you check the link I posted on colorimetry?

What about it?

The fact that you can't demonstrate the existence of something has nothing to do with my ability to see or comprehend,

And yet it does. Your alleged big thinking cannot cure your spiritual blindness.