The Bible and Divorce

Truth_Faith2020

I was just reading a post on CARM regarding divorce and wanted clarification on something. I understand the post was just opinions although based on scripture. It mentioned that if you are a believer and initiated the divorce, you are not able to remarry? I couldnt work out if that relates to my situation (I am nowhere near wanting to remarry... this is just a question!)

I am a believer and my soon to be ex husband is an atheist. It was his decision to leave me and not accept any attempt at reconciliation, however I am the one to have petitioned for divorce?

Thoughts?

Challenger007

I think everyone has a right to happiness. Not everyone succeeds in building their own happiness the first time. And it seems to me that if a divorce happened, this does not mean that you need to go to the grave almost alive, depriving yourself of the joys of family life. After all, a year or 5 years may pass and you may meet a person in whom you will see support and consolation. Would you give up real happiness in favor of stereotypes? Faith is good. But there must be common sense. We are created to live fully. That is why we are the most intellectually advanced beings on the planet. You should not put on the shackles of medieval stereotypes to please anyone. We are often dependent on other people's opinions and this does not make our life happy.

Kris Jordan

I was just reading a post on CARM regarding divorce and wanted clarification on something. I understand the post was just opinions although based on scripture. It mentioned that if you are a believer and initiated the divorce, you are not able to remarry? I couldnt work out if that relates to my situation (I am nowhere near wanting to remarry... this is just a question!)

I am a believer and my soon to be ex husband is an atheist. It was his decision to leave me and not accept any attempt at reconciliation, however I am the one to have petitioned for divorce?

Thoughts?
Hi Truth_Faith2020,

The Bible provides two “allowances” for divorce: abandonment by an unsaved spouse and adultery. In such cases, divorce is not commanded or required by God. He simply permits it when all attempts to reconcile fail. Outside of these two specific situations, no other biblical provisions are given for a divorce.

In your case, if you are married to an unbeliever and he abandoned you, then, according to Scripture, you are free to divorce. It is irrelevant who "files" for the divorce. The marriage is over, due to his abandonment of you. The papers are simply a legal formality that must be filed and approved by a judge.

• 1 Corinthians 7:12-15 (NASB) -- But to the rest I say, not the Lord, that if any brother has a wife who is an unbeliever, and she consents to live with him, he must not divorce her. And a woman who has an unbelieving husband, and he consents to live with her, she must not send her husband away. For the unbelieving husband is sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified through her believing husband; for otherwise your children are unclean, but now they are holy. Yet if the unbelieving one leaves, let him leave; the brother or the sister is not under bondage in such cases, but God has called us to peace.

Beloved Daughter

Hi Truth_Faith2020,

The Bible provides two “allowances” for divorce: abandonment by an unsaved spouse and adultery. In such cases, divorce is not commanded or required by God. He simply permits it when all attempts to reconcile fail. Outside of these two specific situations, no other biblical provisions are given for a divorce.

In your case, if you are married to an unbeliever and he abandoned you, then, according to Scripture, you are free to divorce. It is irrelevant who "files" for the divorce. The marriage is over, due to his abandonment of you. The papers are simply a legal formality that must be filed and approved by a judge.

• 1 Corinthians 7:12-15 (NASB) -- But to the rest I say, not the Lord, that if any brother has a wife who is an unbeliever, and she consents to live with him, he must not divorce her. And a woman who has an unbelieving husband, and he consents to live with her, she must not send her husband away. For the unbelieving husband is sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified through her believing husband; for otherwise your children are unclean, but now they are holy. Yet if the unbelieving one leaves, let him leave; the brother or the sister is not under bondage in such cases, but God has called us to peace.

Beautifully stated Kris!

Buzzard

Is.50:1
Thus saith the Lord,
Where is the bill of your mother's divorcement, whom I have put away?
or which of my creditors is it to whom I have sold you?
Behold, for your iniquities have ye sold yourselves,
and for your transgressions is your mother put away.

Matt.5:31
It hath been said,
Whosoever shall put away his wife,
let him give her a writing of divorcement
:

32 But I say unto you,
That whosoever shall put away his wife,
saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery:
and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery

Matt.19:7

They say unto him,
Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement,
and to put her away?

8 He saith unto them,
Moses because of the
hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives:
but from the beginning it was not so

9 And I say unto you,
Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another,
committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery

10 His disciples say unto him,
If the case of the man be so with his wife, it is not good to marry.

11 But he said unto them,
All men cannot receive this saying,
save they to whom it is given

12 For there are some eunuchs, which were so born from their mother's womb:
and there are some eunuchs, which were made eunuchs of men:
and there be eunuchs, which have
made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake.
He wasn't talking about self castration, gentlemen

He that is able to receive it, let him receive it.

what is the commandment about a wife that was put away
even for Adultery; Physical or Spiritual
that wishes to return ????

Gentlemen;
you need to start listening to the True Teaches,
and not these know nuttin Protestant Preachers
That twist the words of Paul

But he said unto them,
All men cannot receive this saying,
save they to whom it is given

He that is able to receive it, let him receive it.