The Bible and Divorce

Woody50

Cool

Do you have any actual evidence to support your claim?
Hang on a sec. So, you're saying it's irrelevant to you, as you're not a Christian. Yet you argue from Scripture, which you do not believe in?

Why am I even listening to this drivel? My bad. You roped me in and I bit.

Bye bye, Dr. Kiwi.

J regia

Hang on a sec. So, you're saying it's irrelevant to you, as you're not a Christian. Yet you argue from Scripture, which you do not believe in?

Why am I even listening to this drivel? My bad. You roped me in and I bit.

Bye bye, Dr. Kiwi.
I'm just pointing out your hypocrisy if you're actually a Christian and just cherry pick what the bible says.
Or do you believe that Jesus and what he said is irrelevant?

Woody50

I'm just pointing out your hypocrisy if you're actually a Christian and just cherry pick what the bible says.
Or do you believe that Jesus and what he said is irrelevant?
Who is cherry picking, Kiwi?

You can't even get science right, and I'm to listen to you about the Bible--a book you only "read" to find what you want? (Kinda like your reading of science...heh. I never thought of that before. You're so consistent.)

Read the list I posted above, Kiwi. Do you understand what I'm saying?

J regia

None of that changes the fact that Matt 5:27-30 says that Jesus condemned all remarried divorcees to hell (Mark 10:11-12 Ex 20:14) after stoning them to death and terminating any pregnancies (Lev 20:10 Numbers 5:20-28).

And since I'm not a Christian, and unlike you I can cherry pick and point out some of the numerous biblical contradictions and inconsistencies and scientific untruths.

And FYI one of my father's cousins was an Anglican Archbishop of Melbourne, although I understand that none of his children are still believers.

Woody50

None of that changes the fact that Matt 5:27-30 says that Jesus condemned all remarried divorcees to hell (Mark 10:11-12 Ex 20:14) after stoning them to death and terminating any pregnancies (Lev 20:10 Numbers 5:20-28).
Yes. He did. Did you even read my list of other offenses?
And since I'm not a Christian, and unlike you I can cherry pick and point out some of the numerous biblical contradictions and inconsistencies and scientific untruths.
LOL!!! What? Did you read that before posting it? It must take a PhD to be so irrational.
And FYI one of my father's cousins was an Anglican Archbishop of Melbourne, although I understand that none of his children are still believers.
And, FYI, one of my feet has a wart...

Thank you, Dr. Kiwi, for showing your lack of intelligence, biblical understanding, and coherence. Thank you also for demonstrating your irrational nature, your disdain for logic, and your complete arrogance.

*slow clap*

Woody50

Yes. He did. Did you even read my list of other offenses?

LOL!!! What? Did you read that before posting it? It must take a PhD to be so irrational.

And, FYI, one of my feet has a wart...

Thank you, Dr. Kiwi, for showing your lack of intelligence, biblical understanding, and coherence. Thank you also for demonstrating your irrational nature, your disdain for logic, and your complete arrogance.

*slow clap*
That was a bit offside. Forgive me. I think we're done talking, though, Dr.

Read the list and my inquiry about it, if you will. If not, that's fine.

I'm sure we'll talk later. I'm all for bed now, though.

Chowder...

J regia

That was a bit offside. Forgive me. I think we're done talking, though, Dr.

Read the list and my inquiry about it, if you will. If not, that's fine.

I'm sure we'll talk later. I'm all for bed now, though.

Chowder...
Why should I bother? And it's your choice if you believe that Jesus and what he said is irrelevant.

CharismaticLady

I was just reading a post on CARM regarding divorce and wanted clarification on something. I understand the post was just opinions although based on scripture. It mentioned that if you are a believer and initiated the divorce, you are not able to remarry? I couldnt work out if that relates to my situation (I am nowhere near wanting to remarry... this is just a question!)

I am a believer and my soon to be ex husband is an atheist. It was his decision to leave me and not accept any attempt at reconciliation, however I am the one to have petitioned for divorce?

Thoughts?
If he is the one who left, why didn't he initiate the divorce and why didn't you wait until he did? Do you have children?

J regia

If he is the one who left, why didn't he initiate the divorce and why didn't you wait until he did? Do you have children?
But she can never remarry without committing adultery (Mark 10:11-12 Luke 16:18), and even Matt 19:9 says she can't remarry, and that a divorcee can only remarry if they are the innocent party in a divorce caused by adultery and they can only marry another person who has not committed adultery either.

Matthew 19:9
"And I say unto you, whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery; and whoso marrieth her who is put away doth commit adultery.”

CharismaticLady

But she can never remarry without committing adultery (Mark 10:11-12 Luke 16:18), and even Matt 19:9 says she can't remarry, and that a divorcee can only remarry if they are the innocent party in a divorce caused by adultery and they can only marry another person who has not committed adultery either.

Matthew 19:9
"And I say unto you, whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery; and whoso marrieth her who is put away doth commit adultery.”
If she was married to an atheist like she said, according to 1 Corinthians 7, if he left her and divorced her, she is not bound, meaning to the marriage. However, a Christian cannot initiate the divorce.

J regia

If she was married to an atheist like she said, according to 1 Corinthians 7, if he left her and divorced her, she is not bound, meaning to the marriage. However, a Christian cannot initiate the divorce.
But 1Cor 7 doesn't say that she can remarry without committing adultery either, and even though that was only Paul's personal opinion,

1 Corinthians 7:11
But if she depart, let her remain unmarried, or be reconciled to her husband. And let not the husband put away his wife.

CharismaticLady

But 1Cor 7 doesn't say that she can remarry without committing adultery either, and even though that was only Paul's personal opinion,

But if she depart, let her remain unmarried, or be reconciled to her husband. And let not the husband put away his wife.
Unbound is the same as death. Two Christians divorcing is still bound.

My Christian husband divorced me to marry the wife of his best friend. They caused two divorces, but for me I am still bound and after 20 years, he is still the last may I kissed. I WILL NOT sin.

Woody50

Aussie? You cannot argue from science, and now you're trying to argue Scripture?

Bring it. LOL!

J regia

Unbound is the same as death. Two Christians divorcing is still bound.

My Christian husband divorced me to marry the wife of his best friend. They caused two divorces, but for me I am still bound and after 20 years, he is still the last may I kissed. I WILL NOT sin.
IOW, unlike your ex-husband, you have not committed adultery if you have remained celibate.

And I hope you are healed and I wish you well.

Last edited: