The Bible and Divorce

CharismaticLady

IOW, unlike your ex-husband, you have not committed adultery if you have remained celibate.

And I hope you are healed and I wish you well.
Correct. I don't date at all. And I wear a wedding ring. But now I consider God as my husband.

Isaiah 54:5
For thy Maker is thine husband; the Lord of hosts is his name; and thy Redeemer the Holy One of Israel; The God of the whole earth shall he be called.

CharismaticLady

I'm simply pointing out the hypocrisy of those who falsely claim they are (Matt 7:3-5, 7:21-23 Luke 13:29-30).
I agree. Not everyone who calls Jesus, Lord will be in heaven. Matthew 7:21-23. If the reason you are not a Christian is because you are looking at people, you are looking in the wrong place. Study Jesus, and Him only.

J regia

I agree. Not everyone who calls Jesus, Lord will be in heaven. Matthew 7:21-23. If the reason you are not a Christian is because you are looking at people, you are looking in the wrong place. Study Jesus, and Him only.
“I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.” ― Mahatma Gandhi

Alanhey

Why don't you want to get married again? Many people become depressed and lonely. First, you should dig into yourself and understand why doesn't want to get married. If you can't understand this then you need to read about this at https://breakupangels.com/couples-back-together-breakup/. Thanks to them, I could to sort out my feelings. I was also could to understand why I had conflicts with my husband. In short, you shouldn't be afraid to ask for help to solve these problems. We are all human beings, and we all need help.

Slyzr

I was just reading a post on CARM regarding divorce and wanted clarification on something. I understand the post was just opinions although based on scripture. It mentioned that if you are a believer and initiated the divorce, you are not able to remarry? I couldnt work out if that relates to my situation (I am nowhere near wanting to remarry... this is just a question!)

I am a believer and my soon to be ex husband is an atheist. It was his decision to leave me and not accept any attempt at reconciliation, however I am the one to have petitioned for divorce?

Thoughts?

basically ......

As an unbeliever, he has the right to not accept your religion.

For he was born already.

Children?

BMS

In Matt 19 and Mark 10 Jesus is challenged about divorce and He quotes the Genesis creation accounts. Of course when God says let 'us' make mankind in 'our' image, male and female, the us and our includes Jesus (In the beginning was the Word..)
So the image of God is a man and a woman, and the reason Jesus says is so that a man shall be united with his wife and the two shall become one flesh.
That is why Jesus speaks against divorce because it breaks the image of God. It would also be with for example domestic abuse, that would be abuse against the image of God. And of course a man and a man coupling isnt even the image of God or the purpose of God.

But many Christians cite the sermon on the mount as wonderful teaching of Jesus, such as blessed are the poor, but the sermon is from the time He went up on the mount to the time He came down, ie Matt 5-7 and in that time He teaches do not divorce.

Very difficult for those who come to Christ and have divorced because society or even some churches see no problem with it, because the union has already been broken. Thankfully Jesus is about the forgiveness for sin and the renewing of one's mind in Him.
Potentially disastrous news for church leadership that condones it though.

BMS

“I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.” ― Mahatma Gandhi

But he didn't like Christ. If he had liked Christ he would have focused on Christ and not the Christians Christ saves.