The Bible is an Ancient Dcocument

DrDavidT

I started a similar thread in another section ut it was derailed by those who will never believe. To do church history correctly and have the right foundation, you must be ready to accept the Bible as a credible ancient text that contains actual church history. It is not a history book but as Ken Ham has said, where it touches on history, science, and other topics, it is accurate and true.

There are too many 'bible scholars', archaeologists, scientists who dismiss the Bible as religious writing only. This means they have tossed the truth out with the bathwater. They find it a biased piece of work but that is a double standard as their own work is as biased as they claim the Bible to be.

To help you understand that the Bible is a credible and valid ancient text, it was written by the only eye witness still alive today- God. YOu can trust its words on the origin of the church as well as other events recorded within its covers.

UncleAbee

I read it. You're in hostile territory over there. You're arguing from two different standpoints (faith vs intellectualism). There's not enough hard evidence for them to believe.

SteveB

It is in the secular forum the Bible/history thread
I have to agree with UncleAB.
Those guys can be vicious, and coming through there unscathed is impossible.
Jesus did say--- it's impossible that offenses won't come. But woe to him through whom they come.

My thought is that if you want to engage them, pray beforehand, because you're going to need a lot of grace going in, a lot more grace going through, and then serious cleansing coming out.

fwiw, I think something to be considered is that each and every one of us must make a choice on our own, whether we will believe the bible is actually God's Word or not. It's not something that will be able to be forcefully applied.
When I say forcefully--- I'm referring to the weightiness of the arguments/evidence presented/provided.
I'm sure you've heard Lee Strobel's, and J. Warner Wallace's testimony--- at a certain point they came to realize that they had to make a choice of whether or not they were going to believe.

And while I'm going to guess you're aware of this, just be prepared for massive amounts of push-back.

The one piece of evidence I think is the most profound is the existence of Israel.
It's said that a priest was once asked by a chancellor of Germany what is the proof that God is real. He responded--- Israel.
We have a political entity, which just and moral laws, in the midst of totally unjust and immoral laws. We then have a people who are distinct from all others, by virtue of a covenant, and survive in the middle of innumerable enemies, who seek their demise.
It'd be a poor argument if such a people no longer existed. but they do, and they're back in their ancestral lands.

I have however found the people over in the secular forum don't care (It's propbably more appropriate to say--- it APPEARS they don't care, but I think they really just want to rage). It's come to the point where it seems to me they're little more than a pack of ravenous wolves who seek to ravage any, and everything they can.
In fulfillment of what Jesus said--- don't cast your pearls before swine, nor give that which is holy to dogs, lest they trample them underfoot, and then turn on you, and ravage you.

For the past few years I've been talking to God about getting a group of forum users together, and have a debriefing group--- of sorts-- to hash out the ideas that are critical, and work together in a manner which we can almost act in a coherent, concerted tag-group, so we don't get lost in the melee and madness, and can remain focused.

GeneZ

We did not read the Bible to believe. Because we have believed, we were made able to read the Bible. Believing made us into a new creation. Regeneration.

Reading the Bible?

Ever watch a 3D movie? We need special glasses to see all the wonderful depth. Regeneration gives us those glasses given to us by God.

Ever watch a 3D move without those glasses? Its confusing and appears like a distortion. Unbelievers lack those glasses, and find the Bible nonsense, or frustrating.

Buzzard

I have however found the people over in the secular forum don't care (It's propbably more appropriate to say--- it APPEARS they don't care, but I think they really just want to rage). It's come to the point where it seems to me they're little more than a pack of ravenous wolves who seek to ravage any, and everything they can.
In fulfillment of what Jesus said--- don't cast your pearls before swine, nor give that which is holy to dogs, lest they trample them underfoot, and then turn on you, and ravage you.
The Men Christ was referring to as "Swine" were
the Ecclesiastical Authorities whose position was threatened by the truth

"the Flesh of Swine"
is the words the speak,
the Blood of Swine" is the "Mandrake Wine" they teach

SteveB

The Men Christ was referring to as "Swine" were
the Ecclesiastical Authorities whose position was threatened by the truth

"the Flesh of Swine"
is the words the speak,
the Blood of Swine" is the "Mandrake Wine" they teach
Ok.
Upon what are you basing this?

Because the reference is in the sermon on the mount, and it wasn't just religious establishment he was talking to or about.

Then, I did a cross reference and found a couple of Proverbs that describe this general idea.

1. Pro 9:8 WEB Don’t reprove a scoffer, lest he hate you. Reprove a wise person, and he will love you.

2. Pro 23:9 WEB Don’t speak in the ears of a fool, for he will despise the wisdom of your words.

So, please explain this idea of yours for me.

UncleAbee

We did not read the Bible to believe. Because we have believed, we were made able to read the Bible. Believing made us into a new creation. Regeneration.

Reading the Bible?

Ever watch a 3D movie? We need special glasses to see all the wonderful depth. Regeneration gives us those glasses given to us by God.

Ever watch a 3D move without those glasses? Its confusing and appears like a distortion. Unbelievers lack those glasses, and find the Bible nonsense, or frustrating.
Romans 10:17 says "So faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ." If this is true then what you say cannot be. You are stating that we believe first and then we read the bible. If faith comes from "hearing" then we read the bible in order to believe.