The Bodily Resurrection & Ascension of Jesus

He was as much a son of man as you and I are. And he was son of God just as we all are who God is our Father. Seems you have a difficulty in being Gods son though.
FYI Gary, you are NOT God the former Word in John 1:1 like Jesus was! Thus He is the ONLY begotten Son ( God-Man as per John 1:1+14 )! You can ONLY be an adopted son of GOD ( born again ) and you MUST accept Jesus Christ as your Lord & Savior in order to be a son of GOD! Did you accept Jesus Christ as your Lord & Savior Gary??????

He was as much a son of man as you and I are. And he was son of God just as we all are who God is our Father. Seems you have a difficulty in being Gods son though.
WRONG again Gary! You and I are a son of man by having a human father & mother! Jesus is son of man ONLY through His human mother because He did NOT have a Biological human father like you and I have! Now as for son of GOD, you and I have to accept Him ( Jesus Christ ) as Lord & Savior ( Born again )! Jesus is the ONLY Begotten Son of GOD ( God in the Flesh ) as John 1:1-18 CLEARY tells us so! Case closed!

Is Jesus a man now ? yes or no
Jesus was a man for sure but the man Jesus is no longer with us. What remains is the Spirit who was in him and came to him and opend all of His heaven to that man. See Matt 3:16. This is the One who was and came to Adam, Abraham, Moses Mary, and came to Jesus, and is to come to all who will recieve Him as Jesus did.

WRONG again Gary! You and I are a son of man by having a human father & mother! Jesus is son of man ONLY through His human mother because He did NOT have a Biological human father like you and I have! Now as for son of GOD, you and I have to accept Him ( Jesus Christ ) as Lord & Savior ( Born again )! Jesus is the ONLY Begotten Son of GOD ( God in the Flesh ) as John 1:1-18 CLEARY tells us so! Case closed!
If you cant identify with Jesus yourself to have thew same Father he had who is God -- dont blame me for you not knowing who he was.

FYI Gary, you are NOT God the former Word in John 1:1 like Jesus was! Thus He is the ONLY begotten Son ( God-Man as per John 1:1+14 )! You can ONLY be an adopted son of GOD ( born again ) and you MUST accept Jesus Christ as your Lord & Savior in order to be a son of GOD! Did you accept Jesus Christ as your Lord & Savior Gary??????
Now you are getting it, no man is a god. His word only resides in me just as He was in Jesus. He is suposed to reside in you the same as He did in Jesus.

I have the same Spirit of God in me who was in Christ Jesus, so now you say I am a God man?

And FYI I am born of Gods SPirit just as Jesus was born of His SPirit, but you follow Paul instead of the God Jesus came to lead you to instead, where Paul was not born of God but he tried adopting himself into Gods kengdom by forming laws to govern that adoption.

You could be born of God as well if only wou would humble yourself and recieve from Him as Jesus did in Matt 3:16 that is the only way one can be born of God is by the SPirit that He is.

You will never knwo Him as long as you follow Paul instead of Jesus in his way, his truth and his life to live it yourself instead of the life Paul lived that is of law and not SPirit.

Your evidence is? So what the Angel told Mary about Jesus was a lie?
If you do not believe that the SPirit of God came to Mary and planted His seed in her there really is noting that I can prove to your unbelief of it.

And if you do not believe He does the same in us all who are virgin to Him until He does the same in you, then He cant prove Himself at all to you.

Even Jesus was virgin to Gods SPirit and evident in Matt 3:16 where God entered that man by His SPirit just as He did in Mary, in Moses, in Abraham, in 120, and in us all who will recieve Him where He opens all of His heaven to us just as He did in all of these especially Jesus. You dont believe Matt 3:16 was necessary for Jesus do you? That is why yyou cant relate to Mary or Jesus or 120 in an upper room from the absence of having the same isnt it?

Want proof? Then let God give it you. Jesus said that in that day ye shall ask me noting but go to the Father for yourself and He will give it you, and until you let that day come, then you are bound by the religious beliefs of man where God cant prove to you anything.

Do you know what the hard part is of giving birth to His seed? It is giving birth to that Christ that is withn. The One God plants within His brides. The bride of Christ. Man really is the temple of.

CIVIC,
I agree with what you are saying in the first Message (the OP). There is so much evidence that the Biblical OT and NT idea was of Christ having a bodily resurrection. A great piece of evidence is the empty tomb. What is the point of the empty tomb other than exposing that there is no physical body left in the tomb?

Now, the idea of the body coming back to life and defying matter and physics as we know them goes against our scientific experience of the world. So this leads us toward the direction of thinking that the body didn't resurrect. Probably what happens is that some like Gary Mac find the story of Jesus inspiring but they believe that the body didn't resurrect because it would defy their understanding of how the universe works, and so once they have reached this conclusion, then when they read the scriptures they reinterpret the scriptures to make it match what they think actually happened.

However this is a bad way to interpret miraculous literature. For instance, when you read the story of Jesus' physical miracles like raising Lazarus's "stinking" body, it doesn't make sense to just interpret that as a purely spiritual miracle as if Lazarus' body stopped stinking in some psychological way or if people imagined seeing Lazarus alive again when he stayed dead. The Lazarus story implies that physically dead and even rotting bodies like Lazarus' can reenliven.
This is in general and not directed only to you.

Christ is not resurrected at all least He is resurrected in you. Christ is the SPirit of God in man. Christ is man anointed of God, Christ in you is Gods anointing in you.

Until the reality of the Christ is risen in you all that you will see of Christ is a man stuck in limbo between the heaven that you have created for him, and the earth in which we live of Him in His way, live His truth, and live His life and Jesus was cler that NO ONE, NO ONE, comes to the Father least by him to have the same yourself.

Is Christ risen? The evidence is in you to be identified with Him or is not in you that one would wait for a man to come out of that grave as a god and reveal himself someday, which hasnt happend and never will happen for that One is at your door knocking this day waiting to be resurrected in you that you may be that person of Christ anointed of God that does come into this world.

It is you who is suposed to pick up that cross and follow in His ways. .

Jesus was a man for sure but the man Jesus is no longer with us. What remains is the Spirit who was in him and came to him and opend all of His heaven to that man. See Matt 3:16. This is the One who was and came to Adam, Abraham, Moses Mary, and came to Jesus, and is to come to all who will recieve Him as Jesus did.
You are denying the only thing that will save you , the Gospel message- the bodily Resurrection of Jesus. Galatians 1 and 1 Corinthians 15:1-18 declare any other Jesus, any other Gospel let them be accursed/anathema. if Christ is not Risen(bodily) your faith is in vain and you are still dead in your sins. ie no Savior for your sin.

Gary you have a false christ and a false gospel. You must repent or spend an eternity apart from Christ.

The real Jesus is right now fully man, fully God. He has not changed for He is the same yesterday, today and forever. For there is One God and One Mediator between God and man, the MAN Christ Jesus. Hebrews 7-20 make it clear He is our High Priest the Father who stands between heaven and earth making intercession on our behalf. A human cannot do that alone, and neither can God. It took the Incarnation to make that possible, God became one of us so He could be the Perfect sacrifice for sins forever. No priest in the OT could remove sin, but Our High Priest Jesus did just that because He is both God and man- the Perfect high Priest, the Only Mediator capable of being the Perfect sacrifice for sin and stand in our place who ALWAYS lives to make Intercession for His people.

hope this helps !!!

I don't know what to say because it seems like on one hand there is the Bible story of the empty tomb where are the point of the story is that Jesus had a resurrection of his body coming to life again and acting in even more Supernatural ways he's been in his life before his crucifixion. And then on the other hand we have Gary Mac who is arguing a philosophy of Christ being risen in us and expressing the resurrection of Christ in this kind of spirit state or spiritual state, which makes sense in some kind of non-biblical metaphysical theoretical way and sounds like something that I and Christians and Jehovah's Witnesses and also many non-christians would agree with if they agree with the afterlife Etc. The problem is that the gospel story when it comes to the presentation of the idea of the physical bodily resurrection of Jesus is in direct conflict and open conflict with the other part of the theory presented by Gary whereby the resurrection is limited only to this spiritual aspect. And Gary doesn't address really the fact that the Bible presents also a physical bodily Resurrection and this I sense is because the Bible is not reconcilable with the limitation presented by Gary in this area. In other words there's not actually a way to match the idea of the Bible authors on the topic of the physical Resurrection with the country idea presented by Gary. At the same time, Gary persistently argues his View that excludes the physical Resurrection without addressing the biblical aspect. So it creates this ongoing tension of the unaddressed issue. And perhaps an issue that is not possible to be addressed. There are a couple problems, one being is that Gary doesn't want to address the conflict or apparently even acknowledge it. It's not as if he is saying that he is a skeptic of the Bible story, or giving theories about why the author of The Bible would write something to the opposite point then what he is presenting. At the same time he is presenting his idea in strong certainty.

For me, it is hard to have certainty about what occurred at those biblical events because I was not present. Let's say that you go back in time and witness the events or use a kind of mental time machine using futuristic technology. Even if you watch and you see that Mary had a normal sexual experience and that someone hid the body of Jesus, you still have strange or confusing psychological or whatever aspects to the situation where the Old Testament prophesied the supernatural events and you also have the psychological dilemma presented by CS Lewis whereby Jesus and even the apostles would be either expecting or risking severe persecution in accordance with a Biblical prophecy about the Messiah that predicted his killing, along with the moral claims.

Martin Scorsese theorizes on the psychological issue in his movie The Last Temptation Of Christ because in it Jesus is presented with a dilemma between undergoing crucifixion and fleeing away with Mary Magdalene if I remember correctly. Even if you take a skeptical view however Martin Scorsese presented The Dilemma in too extreme a way. Realistically speaking, at the. When the guards had caught Jesus then he may not have really been given a choice between giving up his Messianic claims and fleeing versus holding on to his teachings and being crucified. At that point the Sanhedrin might have wanted to kill him whatever he would have decided, although I think that you can theorize that Jesus still had a choice of giving up his messiahship in the hope that the Sanhedrin would let him go. I bring this up because the psychological argument of liar, Lord or lunatic is one of the main arguments of CS Lewis.

To put it another way the psychological issue is how if he was lying would Jesus or for that matter the apostles justify morally or psychologically their claims of Miracles starting with those in Jesus's lifetime. So when it came to the wedding at Cana with water into wine or the multiplication of the Loaves and Fishes or Jesus walking on water, then how would they justify presenting is fact with the new to be what today we might call a magician's trick. For instance I read that in ancient times there was a magician's trick where water could be made to look like wine through intincture.

1 hypothetical explanation is that they Justified using the idea that if you believe it is true then it can become true. This is like the idea where Faith or belief can move mountains. It suggests a kind of Mind Over Matter view of some operations in our universe, which I guess are true. Mostly I think that people don't believe in that view. Their view is rather that believing something doesn't cause it to be true when it comes to whether a physical event happened or not. When it comes to Faith affecting miracles then they would say that God is the one who causes the miracle and they see the faith in God as involved in the decision by God to cause the miracle. So it could be considered a reward by God when the miracle occurs.

I suppose that another hypothesis could be that if they were lying then their reasoning could be that believing something like walking on water doesn't make it happen by having faith in God while attempting the miracle or performing the act of the miracle can make the miracle real. This would be like Peter trying to Walk On Water.. Peter did not say a prayer before trying to walk on water and for that matter nor did Jesus specify that a prayer asking for the ability with something that Peter should do, but rather the idea was that Peter should have faith about God or Jesus and the miracle and then try to act while having this faith.

Unlike Peter trying to walk on water while watching Jesus do it, something like secretly burying Jesus's body someplace else while having faith that Jesus's body would rise again includes an act of deception for bystanders. That is the person hiding the body would know that the bystanders who discovered the empty tomb would be deceived into thinking that the body may have left the tomb miraculously.

There are two apocryphal works that are probably from the second century and may be Gnostic or docetic, where it is narrated that 2 angels carried Jesus out from the tomb. One is called the gospel of Peter and the other is the Ascension and martyrdom of Isaiah. These two works are not authoritative for Christians but could reflect ideas held by early Christians on the topic of how Jesus's body left the tomb. In the biblical story there is no narration of how the body left the tomb, only that an angel showed up and the guards fainted and ran away and that there were a few Angels at the tomb when the women showed up and the stone had been rolled away and the body of Jesus was not inside the tomb.

Well the real issue is that Paul testifies that the gospel message is centered in the bodily Resurrection of Jesus as per 1 Corinthians 15 and other places in the N.T. His appearances are the evidence Paul uses to make His case in the first 8 opening verses in that chapter. Here are those facts he presents in order and he even leaves out the appearances to the women.

1- and that he appeared to Cephas,
2- and then to the Twelve.
3- After that, he appeared to more than five hundred of the brothers and sisters at the same time, most of whom are still living, though some have fallen asleep.
4- Then he appeared to James,
5-then to all the apostles,
6-and last of all he appeared to me also, as to one abnormally born.

a-So we know the tomb was empty.
b-Jesus said a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see that I have
c- He showed them His hands, feet and side which still retained His Crucifixion marks
d- the above proves it was the same body in the tomb that was raised back to life
e- scripture says His body did not undergo decay
f- His resurrected body was changed to become immortal, incorruptible and imperishable. A Glorified Spiritual body of flesh and bones

So having the above truth and facts regarding Jesus Resurrection we can eliminate all the theories which deny it.

1- What person knowing the Resurrection of Jesus was a lie would suffer torture and death ?
2- We have 3 separate groups of people gathered together at different times as eyewitness account of Jesus Resurrection
3- Knowing the Resurrection was true is the only explanation for being willing to suffer and die for Christ
4- Last but not least is the fact that these men and womens lives were drastically changes forever by the power of Jesus Resurrection. There lives were transformed from denying Christ to be willing to suffer and die for Him as Jesus had promised them would happen.

hope this helps !!!

You are denying the only thing that will save you , the Gospel message- the bodily Resurrection of Jesus. Galatians 1 and 1 Corinthians 15:1-18 declare any other Jesus, any other Gospel let them be accursed/anathema. if Christ is not Risen(bodily) your faith is in vain and you are still dead in your sins. ie no Savior for your sin.
Oh I didnt deny Him at all, He came and saved me just as He promised He will do in all who will recieve Him where His promice is He will come to you to and sup with you to if you will believe and receive Him instead of the creed and the laws of it that you are chained to.
Gary you have a false christ and a false gospel. You must repent or spend an eternity apart from Christ.
Only false to the ones who has not received Him and CHrist is not in you where you are not anointed of God.
The real Jesus is right now fully man, fully God.
The real Jesus was a man made of a woman born under the law just as you and I were.
He has not changed for He is the same yesterday, today and forever.
God has not changed He is the same in Adam, Moses, Abraham that He was in Jesus Mary 120 and in me. He never has changed, most only try and change Him into a man in their own image is all. This is from lack in having in them the One who never changes.
For there is One God and One Mediator between God and man, the MAN Christ Jesus.
There is one God and He came to Jesus by His SPirit and opend al of His heaven to that man just as He did in Adam, Moses Abraham, Mary Jesus 120 and in me. The meadiator is the anointing who was in that man named Jesus who is the CHrist which is man anointed of God, You ae suposed to have Christ in you as well. anointed of God but you are not are not of CHrist are you?
Hebrews 7-20 make it clear He is our High Priest the Father who stands between heaven and earth making intercession on our behalf.
That is Pauls assesment not Jesus assesment. That is why I follow Jesus instead of Paul.
A human cannot do that alone, and neither can God. It took the Incarnation to make that possible, God became one of us so He could be the Perfect sacrifice for sins forever.
God never became one of us LOL We become like Him see Gen 3:22 it is by His Spirit. All you are doing is making your god into your image that you may regulate your god to be llike you and in your image instead. That is why you demand he become like one of you.
No priest in the OT could remove sin, but Our High Priest Jesus did just that because He is both God and man-
Jesus cant remover your sin at all, only Gods Spirit be in you, you born of God, born again to be like Him can remover your sin, all Jesus can do is lead you to the Father who does remove sin so you may be born of God as well. See 1 John 3:9. He comes and takes away the sins of this world in all who will receive Him as Jesus did.
the Perfect high Priest, the Only Mediator capable of being the Perfect sacrifice for sin and stand in our place who ALWAYS lives to make Intercession for His people.

hope this helps !!!
If Jesus is the only one who can be perfect then you are wasiting yhour time with Jesus, for Jesus was very clear in his commandment to be ye therefore pefrct even as your ather in ehaven is perfect.

DO you know why to you Jesus is the only one who can be perfect to you? Because you demand that he follow you in your ways for him. You dont know what it is to have Gods perfection do you? It simply is Love.

Last edited:
Well the real issue is that Paul testifies that the gospel message is centered in the bodily Resurrection of Jesus as per 1 Corinthians 15 and other places in the N.T. His appearances are the evidence Paul uses to make His case in the first 8 opening verses in that chapter. Here are those facts he presents in order and he even leaves out the appearances to the women.
Thats why I follow Jesus instead of Paul, in the Father we are all the same in Him.
1- and that he appeared to Cephas,
2- and then to the Twelve.
3- After that, he appeared to more than five hundred of the brothers and sisters at the same time, most of whom are still living, though some have fallen asleep.
4- Then he appeared to James,
5-then to all the apostles,
6-and last of all he appeared to me also, as to one abnormally born.
He even admits that he was abnormal and people still follow him instead of Jesus, He even admited that he used tricker to get you to follow him. I really dont see Jesus using trickery do you?
a-So we know the tomb was empty.
b-Jesus said a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see that I have
c- He showed them His hands, feet and side which still retained His Crucifixion marks
d- the above proves it was the same body in the tomb that was raised back to life
e- scripture says His body did not undergo decay
f- His resurrected body was changed to become immortal, incorruptible and imperishable. A Glorified Spiritual body of flesh and bones
And people still dont believe God who is SPirit for all they see of a god is flesh and bone and do not believe that SPirit doenst have flesh and bone as you see Jesus as he said. You still worship flesh and bone instead of SPirit.
So having the above truth and facts regarding Jesus Resurrection we can eliminate all the theories which deny it.
The only way to eliminate these therories is to receive form God the same SPirit of God Jesus dind in Matt 3:16 that is the only way the truth was opend to him and it is the only way His truth will be opend in you least He is manifest in you just as He was manifest in Jesus. You are worshiping Jesus in a spirit that is not his.
1- What person knowing the Resurrection of Jesus was a lie would suffer torture and death ?
everyone does who recieves forpm God that what Jesus received form Him and even said we would be persicured for the same.
2- We have 3 separate groups of people gathered together at different times as eyewitness account of Jesus Resurrection
Is he resurrected form the grave or are you still waiting for him to come out from that grave you hold him in? Actually the One who does come out from it is at your door knocking this day waiting for you to let Him.
3- Knowing the Resurrection was true is the only explanation for being willing to suffer and die for Christ
it isnt true at all least He is come to you. Until then it is purley religious beliefs with no substance for identification with Him.
4- Last but not least is the fact that these men and womens lives were drastically changes forever by the power of Jesus Resurrection. There lives were transformed from denying Christ to be willing to suffer and die for Him as Jesus had promised them would happen.

hope this helps !!!
Their lives was not changed by Jesus resurrection at all, their lives was changed when they actually received form God that what Jesus tried to lead them when they receieved from God Himself His SPirit just as He changed Jesus life by His PSirit when he opend all of His heaven to him just as He did the rest of these starting in Adam, Abraham, Moses Jesus 120 and in me and in ALl who has receieved Him.

You are waiting for God to do smeting when He is waiting for you to do someting to become like Him as all of these did.

Jesus couldnt even save his very one disciples evident in his trials and tribulations that every single one of them flat out denied to be identifed with him, and you are doing the very same this day. You have no intenet to be identified with Him to be perfect as he deamnds of you to be in his Father who is God.

If you do not believe that the SPirit of God came to Mary and planted His seed in her there really is noting that I can prove to your unbelief of it.
So Jesus is god - how can the spirit make a man who is only man ?
And if you do not believe He does the same in us all who are virgin to Him until He does the same in you, then He cant prove Himself at all to you.
Prove that is what happens to us

Even Jesus was virgin to Gods SPirit and evident in Matt 3:16 where God entered that man by His SPirit just as He did in Mary, in Moses, in Abraham, in 120, and in us all who will recieve Him where He opens all of His heaven to us just as He did in all of these especially Jesus. You dont believe Matt 3:16 was necessary for Jesus do you? That is why yyou cant relate to Mary or Jesus or 120 in an upper room from the absence of having the same isnt it?
Your evidence is?
Want proof?
Yes - please

So Jesus is god - how can the spirit make a man who is only man ?

Prove that is what happens to us

Your evidence is?

Yes - please
still waiting for @Gary Mac

still waiting for @Gary Mac

You will wait forever - LOL

Responding to that last post in the thread
Who do you say he was? A god? Or do you recognize that man to be anointed of God? You dont seem to recognize him as the son of the living God but you have made him a god instead of him being that son who was anointed of God which is the Christ. Christ means Gods anointed. Christ in you is supposed for you to be anointed of HGod but you are not of Christ are you, you are of a religious belief that has a man a god in the place of the One who does anoint man by His Spirit.

Flesh and blood cannot reveal that to you as you worship flesh and blood as a god, only Gods Spirit be in you who was in Jesus to anoint you with His Christ can open that knowledge to you. You will never know Him as long a a man is your god and you do not have Christ as your own disposition.

Christ is not a man, Christ is the disposition of the man who is anointed of God. You really do not know that Jesus was Gods anointed do you?.

Who do you say he was? A god? Or do you recognize that man to be anointed of God? You dont seem to recognize him as the son of the living God but you have made him a god instead of him being that son who was anointed of God which is the Christ. Christ means Gods anointed. Christ in you is supposed for you to be anointed of HGod but you are not of Christ are you, you are of a religious belief that has a man a god in the place of the One who does anoint man by His Spirit.

Flesh and blood cannot reveal that to you as you worship flesh and blood as a god, only Gods Spirit be in you who was in Jesus to anoint you with His Christ can open that knowledge to you. You will never know Him as long a a man is your god and you do not have Christ as your own disposition.

Christ is not a man, Christ is the disposition of the man who is anointed of God. You really do not know that Jesus was Gods anointed do you?.

Jesus is forever God in the flesh ( Incarnate)

Colossians 2:9
King James Bible
For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily

Now read the Greek below on the present ongoing meaning of DWELLS . The bodily dwelling of Deity is permanent not temporary. The Incarnation was PERMANENT.

κατοικεῖ (katoikei)
Verb - Present Indicative Active - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's Greek 2730: To dwell in, settle in, be established in (permanently), inhabit. From kata and oikeo; to house permanently, i.e. Reside.

8.2 σωματικός, ή, όν; σωματικῶςa: (derivatives of σῶμαa ‘body,’ 8.1) pertaining to a physical body—‘bodily, physical, bodily form.’[1] Louw Nida

Expositor's Greek Testament
Colossians 2:9. in Him and in Him alone.—κατοικεῖ: “permanently dwells”. The reference is to the Exalted State, not only on account of the present, but of the context and Paul’s Christology generally.—πᾶν τὸ πλήρωμα τῆς θεότητος: “all the fulness of the Godhead”. πᾶν is emphatic, the whole fulness dwells in Christ.

Body
sōmatikṓs (an adverb, derived from 4984 /sōmatikós which is an adjective derived from 4983 /sṓma, "body") – bodily(used only in Col 2:9)Loew & Nida Greek Lexicon

Never once in the NT is soma ever used of something nonphysical or immaterial .

Paul is talking in Colossians chapters 2-3 about the glorified resurrected Christ now seated at the right hand of God not the earthly Christ pre resurrection. This is a slam dunk that He is in a human glorified resurrection body and that He continues to have all the fullness of Deity dwelling bodily in the present.

Bodily (σωματικῶς) In bodily fashion or bodily-wise. The verse contains two distinct assertions: 1. That the fullness of the Godhead eternally dwells in Christ. The present tense κατοικεῖ dwelleth, is used like ἐστιν is (the image), Colossians 1:15, to denote an eternal and essential characteristic of Christ's being. The indwelling of the divine fullness in Him is characteristic of Him as Christ, from all ages and to all ages. Hence the fullness of the Godhead dwelt in Him before His incarnation, when He was "in the form of God" (Philippians 2:6). The Word in the beginning, was with God and was God (John 1:1). It dwelt in Him during His incarnation. It was the Word that became flesh and dwelt among us, full of grace and truth, and His glory which was beheld was the glory as of the Only begotten of the Father (John 1:14; compare 1 John 1:1-3). The fullness of the Godhead dwells in His glorified humanity in heaven.

2. The fullness of the Godhead dwells in Him in a bodily way, clothed the body. This means that it dwells in Him as one having a human body. This could not be true of His preincarnate state, when He was "in the form of God," for the human body was taken on by Him in the fullness of time, when "He became in the likeness of men" (Philippians 2:7), when the Word became flesh. The fullness of the Godhead dwelt in His person from His birth to His ascension. He carried His human body with Him into heaven, and in His glorified body now and ever dwells the fullness of the Godhead. Vincent Greek Word Studies

(2:9) Commenting on the contents of this verse, Lightfoot says; “The apostle justifies the foregoing charge that the doctrine was not according to Christ: ‘In Christ dwells the whole plērōma (πληρωμα) (fulness, plenitude), the entire fulness of the Godhead, whereas they represent it to you as dispersed among several spiritual agencies. Christ is the fountain-head of all spiritual life, whereas they teach you to seek it in communion with inferior creatures.’ ”

“Dwelleth” is katoikei (κατοικει). Oikeō (Ὀικεω) means “to be at home.” Kata (Κατα), prefixed, means “down,” thus showing permanence. The compound verb was used of the permanent residents of a town as compared with the transient community. The verb is in the present tense, showing durative action. The translation reads: “Because in Him there is continuously and permanently at home all the fulness of the Godhead in bodily fashion.”

Bodily (σωματικῶς). In bodily fashion or bodily-wise. The verse contains two distinct assertions: 1. That the fulness of the Godhead eternally dwells in Christ. The present tense κατοικεῖ dwelleth, is used like ἐστιν is (the image), ch. 1:15, to denote an eternal and essential characteristic of Christ’s being. The indwelling of the divine fulness in Him is characteristic of Him as Christ, from all ages and to all ages. Hence the fulness of the Godhead dwelt in Him before His incarnation, when He was “in the form of God” (Philip. 2:6). The Word in the beginning was with God and was God (John 1:1). It dwelt in Him during His incarnation. It was the Word that became flesh and dwelt among us, full of grace and truth, and His glory which was beheld was the glory as of the Only-begotten of the Father (John 1:14; compare 1 John 1:1–3). The fulness of the Godhead dwells in His glorified humanity in heaven.

2. The fulness of the Godhead dwells in Him in a bodily way, clothed with a body. This means that it dwells in Him as one having a human body. This could not be true of His preincarnate state, when He was “in the form of God,” for the human body was taken on by Him in the fulness of time, when “He became in the likeness of men” (Philip. 2:7), when the Word became flesh. The fulness of the Godhead dwelt in His person from His birth to His ascension. He carried His human body with Him into heaven, and in His glorified body now and ever dwells the fulness of the Godhead[1] Word Studies in the Greek New Testament

hope this helps !!!

Back