The Book of Mormon and the Biblical NT compared

brotherofJared

Why won't you answer my simple question: why do we NEED the Book of Mormon? NEED?
Matt 18:16.
In addition, we have one manhandled and abused text that has had many changes and interpretations made to it. The best way to preserve God word is to keep it out of the hands of men. What better way to validate the first than by a witness that has had only one person's hands on it for about 1600 years?

Theo1689

In addition, we have one manhandled and abused text that has had many changes and interpretations made to it. The best way to preserve God word is to keep it out of the hands of men. What better way to validate the first than by a witness that has had only one person's hands on it for about 1600 years?

Matt. 18:16 doesn't say ANYTHING like you've responded.

You need to repent of your sins, and you need to cease bearing false witness, as Christ has commanded.

Bonnie

And we have 66 witnesses in the Bible, vs. one for the contents of the BoM. So, Smith doesn't fulfill Matt. 18:16, does he?

What "manhandled and abused text" has had many changes and interpretations made to it?

Not to mention, thousands of ancient GNT manuscripts, whole or in part, exist which can be examined to see if any drastic changes have been made in the manuscripts. There haven't been.

Bonnie

If it is so much better written, why is it that no one seems to be able to agree on what it says? Even evangelicals don't agree amongst themselves on what it says.
That is the fault of sinful human beings, not the fault of God or the Bible.

If the BoM is so "correct" then why do the other Mormon "scriptures" contradict it so much, as has been shown on here?

Bonnie

Like? What gaps did he fill?

Proper witness is by two or more. The Bible is not perfectly clear, if it was there wouldn't be so many different supposedly Christian religions all based on the Bible.

One can never have enough of God's word.

And apparently gives everyone a different answer.

And so far, they have all passed with flying colors.

Nope. No modalism in the Book of Mormon.

The word, "until" is not in the phrase. You inserted that.
About these:

Nope. No modalism in the Book of Mormon.
Bonnie said:
and grace not kicking in UNTIL we have done ALL we can do.
The word, "until" is not in the phrase. You inserted that.

Yes, there IS modalism in the BoM--what do you think it means, when it says in a few places, that Jesus is His own Father? THAT is "modalism."

I never said that "until" is in the original verse--which is why I did NOT put it in quotes. Please remember that. I was paraphrasing and my paraphrase is exactly what it means--grace comes AFTER ALL that we can do. Your church's own online dictionary says much the same thing. Is your church wrong?

So, again, WHY do we NEED the BoM, IF all that we need for salvation can be found in the Bible? NEED?

Theo1689

Proper witness is by two or more. The Bible is not perfectly clear, if it was there wouldn't be so many different supposedly Christian religions all based on the Bible.

<sigh>

And here we go again, the poster taking every opportunity to try to attack Christianity.

And since there are 100's of sects of Mormonism, clearly the "Book of Mormon" likewise isn't clear enough. No, wait... You're going to engage in special pleading, in saying that it doesn't apply to the Mormon sects, but only to the Christian sects. We'll let the unbiased reader decide for himself.

The reason why there are multiple sects is due to many reasons, NONE of which being that the Bible is "unclear";

1) Many people don't read the entire Bible, and therefore don't get an accurate view.
2) Many people have their own personal ideas of what they think God "should" be like, and insert that understanding into their interpretation.
3) Many people don't read in context, but only assemble a list of "proof-text" single verses, which doesn't have the proper meaning out of their contexts.
4) Many people have pet "sins" (such as homosexuality), that they want to be okay, so they interpret those texts in a way that makes them "acceptable".
5) Many people don't read the Bible, but get their theology from others, who don't have a correct understanding of the Bible.

As an example, there is nothing MORE clear in the Bible that only one god exists (Deut. 4:35,39, Deut. 32:39, 1 Kings 8:60, Ps. 86:10, Isa. 44:6,8, Isa. 45:5,21,22, Isa. 46:9, Mark 12:32, 1 Cor 8:4, etc. etc.

It was clear to the Jews.
It was clear to the Roman Catholics.
It was clear to the Eastern Orthodox.
It was clear to the Anglicans.
It was clear to the Baptists.
It was clear to the Lutherans.
It was clear to the Methodists.
It was clear to the Jehovah's Witnesses.
It was clear to the Seventh-day Adventists.
It was clear to the Moonies.
It was clear to the Christian Scientists.
It was clear to the Muslims.
It was even clear to the atheists.

And the ONLY reason the single group of "Mormons" rejects it, is because they have an external source other than the Bible, that they have to believe true, since Joseph Smith claimed he saw two (or three) gods in the First Vision (depending on which version you read). Joseph Smith couldn't possibly be wrong, so God has to be wrong.

One can never have enough of God's word.

Just make sure it IS "God's word.
The Book of Mormon isn't.
The Pearl of Great Price isn't.
The Book of Abraham isn't it's simply an ancient funerary text.

brotherofJared

ou're going to engage in special pleading, in saying that it doesn't apply to the Mormon sects, but only to the Christian sects.
Nope. I'm going to say it doesn't matter not that it doesn't apply. Just because there are people who disagree doesn't mean that the church the broke from is false. That was never my argument. It doesn't change the fact that there can only be one true church, there cannot be thousands or even 100. Of course, you'll never understand that because you have to insist that the 1000s of difference churches all teaching something different are all true churches. That's laughable, but I can understand your need to insist that it's true.

brotherofJared

As an example, there is nothing MORE clear in the Bible that only one god exists (Deut. 4:35,39, Deut. 32:39, 1 Kings 8:60, Ps. 86:10, Isa. 44:6,8, Isa. 45:5,21,22, Isa. 46:9, Mark 12:32, 1 Cor 8:4, etc. etc.
That is simply not true. There is nothing more clear in the Bible that the existence of many gods. Just because you want to ignore the evidence that supports their existence doesn't mean it's not true. It just means that your wrong along with everyone else who votes that you're right.

Fact, there can only be one truth, anything that disagrees with that truth is wrong. I don't care how many people vote on it. It won't change the truth.

Theo1689

That is simply not true. There is nothing more clear in the Bible that the existence of many gods. Just because you want to ignore the evidence that supports their existence doesn't mean it's not true. It just means that your wrong along with everyone else who votes that you're right.

Fact, there can only be one truth, anything that disagrees with that truth is wrong. I don't care how many people vote on it. It won't change the truth.
Deut. 4:35 Unto thee it was shewed, that thou mightest know that the LORD he  is  God;  there is  none else besides him.

Deut. 4:39 Know therefore this day, and consider it in thine heart, that the LORD he is God in heaven above, and upon the earth beneath: there is  none else.

Deut. 32:39   See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god with me:

2 Sam. 7:22 Wherefore thou art great, O LORD God: for there is none like thee, neither is there any God besides thee, according to all that we have heard with our ears.

2 Sam. 22:32 For who is God, save the LORD? and who is a rock, save our God?

1 Kings 8:60 That all the people of the earth may know that  the LORD  is  God,  and that  there is  none else.

1 Chr. 17:20 O LORD, there is none like thee, neither is there any God besides thee, according to all that we have heard with our ears.

2 Chr. 15:3 Now for a long season Israel hath been without the true God, and without a teaching priest, and without law.

Isa. 43:10 Ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.

Isa. 44:6 Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and  besides me  there is  no God. 7 And who, as I, shall call, and shall declare it, and set it in order for me, since I appointed the ancient people? and the things that are coming, and shall come, let them shew unto them. 8 Fear ye not, neither be afraid: have not I told thee from that time, and have declared it? ye are even my witnesses. Is there a God besides me? yea, there is  no God;  I know not  any.

Is. 45:5 I am the LORD, and there is none else,  there is  no God besides me: I girded thee, though thou hast not known me:

Is. 45:21 Tell ye, and bring them near; yea, let them take counsel together: who hath declared this from ancient time? who hath told it from that time? have not I the LORD? and there is  no God else besides me;  a just God and a Saviour; there is  none besides me.  22 Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I  am  God, and  there is  none else.

Isa. 46:9 Remember the former things of old: for  I  am  God, and there is  none else;  I am God, and there is none like me,

Jer. 10:10 But the LORD is the true God, he is the living God, and an everlasting king: at his wrath the earth shall tremble, and the nations shall not be able to abide his indignation.

Joel 2:27 And ye shall know that I am in the midst of Israel, and that I am the LORD your God, and none else: and my people shall never be ashamed.

Mark 12:32 And the scribe said unto him, Well, Master, thou hast said the truth: for there is one God; and there is none other but he:

1Cor. 8:4 As concerning therefore the eating of those things that are offered in sacrifice unto idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that  there is none other God but one.

James 2:19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

brotherofJared

Deut. 4:35 Unto thee it was shewed, that thou mightest know that the LORD he  is  God;  there is  none else besides him.

Deut. 4:39 Know therefore this day, and consider it in thine heart, that the LORD he is God in heaven above, and upon the earth beneath: there is  none else.

Deut. 32:39   See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god with me:

2 Sam. 7:22 Wherefore thou art great, O LORD God: for there is none like thee, neither is there any God besides thee, according to all that we have heard with our ears.

2 Sam. 22:32 For who is God, save the LORD? and who is a rock, save our God?

1 Kings 8:60 That all the people of the earth may know that  the LORD  is  God,  and that  there is  none else.

1 Chr. 17:20 O LORD, there is none like thee, neither is there any God besides thee, according to all that we have heard with our ears.

2 Chr. 15:3 Now for a long season Israel hath been without the true God, and without a teaching priest, and without law.

Isa. 43:10 Ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.

Isa. 44:6 Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and  besides me  there is  no God. 7 And who, as I, shall call, and shall declare it, and set it in order for me, since I appointed the ancient people? and the things that are coming, and shall come, let them shew unto them. 8 Fear ye not, neither be afraid: have not I told thee from that time, and have declared it? ye are even my witnesses. Is there a God besides me? yea, there is  no God;  I know not  any.

Is. 45:5 I am the LORD, and there is none else,  there is  no God besides me: I girded thee, though thou hast not known me:

Is. 45:21 Tell ye, and bring them near; yea, let them take counsel together: who hath declared this from ancient time? who hath told it from that time? have not I the LORD? and there is  no God else besides me;  a just God and a Saviour; there is  none besides me.  22 Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I  am  God, and  there is  none else.

Isa. 46:9 Remember the former things of old: for  I  am  God, and there is  none else;  I am God, and there is none like me,

Jer. 10:10 But the LORD is the true God, he is the living God, and an everlasting king: at his wrath the earth shall tremble, and the nations shall not be able to abide his indignation.

Joel 2:27 And ye shall know that I am in the midst of Israel, and that I am the LORD your God, and none else: and my people shall never be ashamed.

Mark 12:32 And the scribe said unto him, Well, Master, thou hast said the truth: for there is one God; and there is none other but he:

1Cor. 8:4 As concerning therefore the eating of those things that are offered in sacrifice unto idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that  there is none other God but one.

James 2:19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
I have offered arguments on these verses repeatedly. You are taking them out of context. They all imply, in not in the verse you're quoting, in verses very near the ones you're quoting, that there are indeed many gods. God is not alone but instead, according to the scriptures, he works in councils made up of individual beings he calls gods.